ADVERTISEMENT

Lamont Butler X clips This guy gets it.

Oct 24, 2023
I know it all has to translate onto the court, but these new guys and the coaching staff have completely reenergized me and a lot of you. Lamont Butler's gratitude for becoming a Wildcat shines through in these clips. It's a refreshing change from players who might feel like Kentucky is lucky to have them. Take a look at these moments and feel the renewed spirit and dedication from our team

Love it. Back to college basketball. I never minded certain players wanting to be pros I encourage that. I want good representation in the NBA. I always said in the beginning of the Cal era I loved being the place of the pros over who it always was, UNC. But it became a problem when every recruit we were after spoke nothing about UK really and all NBA NBA NBA. Then we allow Duke to use the family angle, which was totally stupid. Calipari knows that but he didn’t want the program to be the reason he wanted it to be himself. That’s why he laughed when Duke said they’re a family and do for players later in life. He didn’t combat it one bit he just laughed at it.

This program can sell itself as it just did here. I want these guys to pursue their careers who doesn’t? But UK has always taken care of their own and its STATE WIDE. It’s not some regional program like Duke. This is the states team truly. And we are back to it and pope has made it a point to bring it back. We had to have that guy and you can see how much character his players have. They have shown nothing but respect for the program and spoke very little of the next stop. You can be a pro and wait until it’s time to push that message. You can just tell the only thing those players we sold on is their next stop. We’ve changed that culture.

I know it all has to translate onto the court, but these new guys and the coaching staff have completely reenergized me and a lot of you. Lamont Butler's gratitude for becoming a Wildcat shines through in these clips. It's a refreshing change from players who might feel like Kentucky is lucky to have them. Take a look at these moments and feel the renewed spirit and dedication from our team

I really like Butler, you can tell why SDSU was so good when he was there. These players actually care about the program they are playing for and want to win at the highest level while they are here. It’s a total 180 honestly. I know Cal had plenty of great players who cared but it never felt like they were all here for a common goal. Individual glory always was the number one thing.

Anyone that’s a Kentucky fan - please watch the answer at the 2 minute 50 second mark of Cason Wallace’s answer on what him and Chris Livingston hope to achieve. This was the beginning of the end for me and pretty much had me off the Cal train. Compare that to the message Butler is getting

Anyone that’s a Kentucky fan - please watch the answer at the 2 minute 50 second mark of Cason Wallace’s answer on what him and Chris Livingston hope to achieve. This was the beginning of the end for me and pretty much had me off the Cal train. Compare that to the message Butler is getting

Cal’s guys were usually pretty transparent about what was most important to them. An individual should have both individual and team goals. However, the individual goals should compliment the team goals. They should never take precedence over a team goal. That wasn’t the case for Cal’s kids especially the last 5 years.

There were so many things in that interview that clearly showed the contrast in culture and how selfish and repetitive things got at the expense of our school. This last year Cow was so happy to rub in our faces he didn't have to start Reed it blew up in his face.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
Cal’s guys were usually pretty transparent about what was most important to them. An individual should have both individual and team goals. However, the individual goals should compliment the team goals. They should never take precedence over a team goal. That wasn’t the case for Cal’s kids especially the last 5 years.
Some of those guys loved and loved UK. I'm not one to crap on kids that choose UK tho, a lot of the stars under Cal are going to come here instead of Arkansas. Remember some of Pitinos players went pure Red

You know Cal was telling their families stuff like, "We want you to get to your dream as fast as possible. That's what we do here. The fans don't like that about me, but I've always put my players first. We will do everything in our power to make sure you're not in school one second longer than you have to be. It's what we do."

Butler is my favorite player on this roster so far. Like he said, he is a winner. He is going to be the leader of this team.

When I watched the practice clips with him mic’d the thing that struck me was how vocal he was on the court. That’s an upperclassman for you. That’s a leader.

Looking forward to watching him this season.

Butler starts game 1 and every game after. Oweh should be the starter in the backcourt with him before SEC play starts. We should have plenty of shooting but the D these 2 can play along with Amari should be the edge for all 3 to start.

Butler starts game 1 and every game after. Oweh should be the starter in the backcourt with him before SEC play starts. We should have plenty of shooting but the D these 2 can play along with Amari should be the edge for all 3 to start.
Agreed.

Pope will put the best defensive lineup he can put out there to start the game and set the tone:

G Butler
G Oweh
G Robinson
F Carr
F Williams

Second unit comes out shooting:

G Kriisa
G Chandler
G Brea
F Almonor
F Garrison

If we can grab a nice lead with the starters locking people down, then the bench will bury them with 3’s. Brea, Kriisa, Almonor, and Chandler on the floor together? Good luck guarding that team on the perimeter.

Yep. This is the stuff I’m talking about right here. I never thought Cal would actually encourage this kind of thing but he 100% did. I knew what he was doing when Duke was telling recruits they are program first and take care of their players throughout life. What I expected Calipari to do was talk about how Kentucky is the entire states program, how we’ve always taken care of our players, to talk about how our players go into politics, business, all of that. What he did was laugh and say it isn’t true. He continued to recruit NBA pitch only. He literally handed Duke that pitch and I began to understand why.

He wanted everything to be about himself and nothing about the program. And I knew right there he didn’t plan on staying to cement his legacy here, I knew he’d leave and burn it up on the way out just like he’s done everywhere. This era in time explained a lot to me.

This kind of stuff pissed me off to no end and I immediately jumped off the Cal train around this time (a little before but this really did it. I don’t blame the many who couldn’t see it early because to know how he operates you’ve had to have followed his career really close and I have. I was a college student at his stop before UK and grew up hating him so I was aware of a lot of sht that UK fans weren’t. Thank God Pope is here and he’s correcting all of this nonsense. Kentucky has ALWAYS taken care of our players better than any program there is. It’s a collective effort here unlike anywhere else. Pope is gonna nail that message home, he’s already been doing it and Calipari just got a taste of what no one before us have shown him, that some jobs are too big for you to play games with.

Last edited:
Reactions: EliteBlue
Agreed.

Pope will put the best defensive lineup he can put out there to start the game and set the tone:

G Butler
G Oweh
G Robinson
F Carr
F Williams

G Kriisa
G Chandler
G Brea
F Almonor
F Garrison

If we can grab a nice lead with the starters locking people down, then the bench will bury them with 3’s. Brea, Kriisa, Almonor, and Chandler on the floor together? Good luck guarding that team on the perimeter.

With a 6-10 245 soph former McDonald's aa coming into his own this season in the post. If you double BG it's a wide open 3 for the others. If ya guard BG with one person he's going to score or get fouled win-win for us.

Yup it seemed like the first 10ish years we really had a lot of guys who wanted to be the best while here, and then go on of they were ready. Then it changed to well if I go pro then college was a success.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Agreed.

G Butler
G Oweh
G Robinson
F Carr
F Williams

G Kriisa
G Chandler
G Brea
F Almonor
F Garrison

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Garrison start, I think they play similar minutes between him and Williams but he’s from probably the best overall basketball conference with a higher ceiling and more size.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Garrison start, I think they play similar minutes between him and Williams but he’s from probably the best overall basketball conference with a higher ceiling and more size.
I think they split minutes pretty evenly at the 5. I think Williams starts because he’s a fifth year Senior and his defense and passing seems to be elite. I think Williams was the first guy Pope went after when he got the job, if memory serves.

People make projections about what went on between Calipari and his players and their families. And then take those projections as Gospel.

Which is strange.

I think they split minutes pretty evenly at the 5. I think Williams starts because he’s a fifth year Senior and his defense and passing seems to be elite. I think Williams was the first guy Pope went after when he got the job, if memory serves.
I can definitely see that, my thinking is that I believe Garrsion could really break out this year. Big men like him seem to really start taking off their 2nd and 3rd year. Edit: yes he was the first transfer commit. Look at this video. When is the last time we had a post player with this kind of defensive positioning and skill? Maybe Nick Richards his junior year? PJ Washington? I know he can be successful because every year a smaller school has a big dude that is a defensive presence that helps their team upset some big schools.

Last edited:
No offense to the OP, but Wheeler pretty much had the exact same attitude when he transferred here. Here's hoping Butler is much better than he was though.

Reactions: RunninRichie

Remember when guys here said ''he's just being honest''. LOL, so sad what the program was. He might have been honest. But you don't say that until you leave college. When you're coming into a blueblood program. In any sport. You hold your tongue until you get to the pros. Did anyone ever hear Saban's players say they couldnt wait to bail. And play on sundays? No, it was all about winning that next SEC title, bowl, national title game...etc etc.

Probably because Saban built a program on winning and team before self. Cal built it on get rich quick, **** everything else.

Remember when guys here said ''he's just being honest''. LOL, so sad what the program was. He might have been honest. But you don't say that until you leave college. When you're coming into a blueblood program. In any sport. You hold your tongue until you get to the pros. Did anyone ever hear Saban's players say they couldnt wait to bail. And play on sundays? No, it was all about winning that next SEC title, bowl, national title game...etc etc.

Probably because Saban built a program on winning and team before self. Cal built it on get rich quick, **** everything else.

Oh the excuses those guys ran with, we both caught it all. “What kid doesn’t want to be a pro”.

Except that’s not the problem. The problem is treating this program like trash on the way there. You just don’t do it like that. Im ashamed we had fans coddling this mindset as long as they did. What kind of disrespectful bs is that? Just shtting on our former players and coaches who built this, our former fans who aren’t here anymore who funded this, all of the work they put in to build the greatest program on earth to then allow these mercenaries to come in and not even pretend to care.

It is and will be the most pathetic time in the history of this program.

Oh the excuses those guys ran with, we both caught it all. “What kid doesn’t want to be a pro”.

Except that’s not the problem. The problem is treating this program like trash on the way there. You just don’t do it like that. Im ashamed we had fans coddling this mindset as long as they did. What kind of disrespectful bs is that? Just shtting on our former players and coaches who built this, our former fans who aren’t here anymore who funded this, all of the work they put in to build the greatest program on earth to then allow these mercenaries to come in and not even pretend to care.

It is and will be the most pathetic time in the history of this program.
And don't forget. Cal and his supporters would call you ''selfish'' if you brought that up. Wanting success for the program, over a player's NBA desire is ''selfish''. That's ''somebodies son''. The mindset still goes on here today. People falling on knives for guys getting paid $300,000+ NIL deals with free cars.

When Shaedon Sharpe bailed we weren't supposed to be mad. That would be selfish. After all, we should be honored to help somebodies son get generational wealth.

I admit I wasn't happy with the Pope hire at first (unproven, didn't go after other names first, etc etc,) But as I think back at what we put up with Cal. And Pope's anti-Cal message, program first, fans first. I can't help but get happy and support it.

And don't forget. Cal and his supporters would call you ''selfish'' if you brought that up. Wanting success for the program, over a player's NBA desire is ''selfish''. That's ''somebodies son''. The mindset still goes on here today. People falling on knives for guys getting paid $300,000+ NIL deals with free cars.

When Shaedon Sharpe bailed we weren't supposed to be mad. That would be selfish. After all, we should be honored to help somebodies son get generational wealth.

I admit I wasn't happy with the Pope hire at first (unproven, didn't go after other names first, etc etc,) But as I think back at what we put up with Cal. And Pope's anti-Cal message, program first, fans first. I can't help but get happy and support it.

Yup. And they would never give an inch, just throw around how selfish you are. Amazing how Calipari’s propaganda can have such an effect on people. He’ll do it in Arkansas easier than he did here. People were literally convinced to not care about this program because a player who’s using it and will only be here 8 months, a player who doesn’t care one thing about this place, wants to “live his dreams”. It’s really sick stuff and Calipari doesn’t care about those players one bit he does everything he does to promote himself. And to convince people he’s the Godfather and protector of the super DNA LOL. I still just can’t get over it. I told some guys years ago when he came here that Calipari can’t pull it at UK and they told me yessir he will. I never thought he could do that to UK fans, but to our credit, I think most saw through it.

Yea I wasn’t happy at first either. I was eating at Tolly-Ho’s in Lexington when it broke. My wife said oh wow yess they hired pope!! I said nah, what you talkin about. She said it says they hire pope aren’t you happy? And that began a night she and my kids will always remember. My kids still ask me if I like pope so much why was I so pissed off.

Really thought about it the next day and decided nah man we need this. Tough spot to be in with our records needing to be upheld but I think it’s gonna work and we needed it anyway.

So happy to have Pope and his uplifting way and messaging.
In another thread about John Walls starting five, I notice all of my 5 played multiple years. Getting to know them, watching them improve is better than 1 yr of some TALENT.
GBB!

Probably Pope's best feature at this point is building culture. That culture sets the tone and we see the difference.

The frustrating part is cal used to do the same. Thats why you see Cal's early uk players still rep the school all the time. At some point he just turned it into cal u which is exactly what hes doing at Arkansas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT