ADVERTISEMENT

Lakers give Jarred Vanderbilt 4-year extension

I do not care who the player, owner, coach is. These athletes and supporting cast are making way too much money.
You do realize that the revenue the NBA generates is split between the owners and players? If the players were to make less, than the billionaire owners would be making even more than they already do.

Players don't choose to make ticket prices insane, concession stand prices $12 for a beer, the greedy owners do.

I do not care who the player, owner, coach is. These athletes and supporting cast are making way too much money.
Well the players just get half of revenue, they don't determine what revenue is. You should be mad at the billionaire owners and media moguls, they're making millions upon millions themselves and aren't even the ones playing the game. They could cut prices and reduce ads to improve the fan experience, and the athletes then wouldn't make so much. But they want to sit back and watch their bank accounts grow and grow.

This is that generational wealth thing Cal talk about. Taking care of under-performing college players one dude at a time.

As a Lakers fan this is a steal if he continues to improve.

Vanderbilt has the ability to become a lock down defender if he ever can develop the corner 3 ball watch out!

I've grown to appreciate him more since leaving UK he really leaves it all out on the court.

Well the players just get half of revenue, they don't determine what revenue is. You should be mad at the billionaire owners and media moguls, they're making millions upon millions themselves and aren't even the ones playing the game. They could cut prices and reduce ads to improve the fan experience, and the athletes then wouldn't make so much. But they want to sit back and watch their bank accounts grow and grow.
If people stopped supporting that crap, then ticket prices would fall and so would these very ridiculous player salaries. But people are stupid.

Reactions: Boyd94
Griping about someone else making money is absolute LOSER thinking.
No. Being okay with (even worshipping) athletes making millions times what people, who actually make a real difference in the world, make is loser thinking.

Good for him. Fans demanding owners bring championships is what drives salaries and ticket prices. Don't like it? Only fix is for people to turn it off altogether. When it comes to money and prices, athlete salaries are pretty far down on the list of things that need bitched about.

From micro economics, Fair market price is defined as a price that a seller, not compelled to sell is willing to accept and similarly for a buyer. Notice the words “value” or “worth” do not appear in that definition. By definition, what they are being paid is fair.

In the words of the immortal Judge Smails: The world needs ditch diggers too.

What? Lmfao man, dude has played his way into being a multi millionaire and you wanna split hairs because you're still salty his injury kept him from playing for UK very much.

Yeah, you’re right. $32 million is nothing.

It's not going to change so get used to it or don't watch. I'm sure you would turn that money down and feel the same way if you were a professional athlete.

Last edited:
$12,000,000 income
10% to agent, etc
Fed tax rate 37%

Calitaxes tax rate--12.3%. plus extra 1% over first million.

Sadly--that $12 million becomes less than $5.5million by the time the feds and state take their share.

rr

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
You do realize that the revenue the NBA generates is split between the owners and players? If the players were to make less, than the billionaire owners would be making even more than they already do.

Players don't choose to make ticket prices insane, concession stand prices $12 for a beer, the greedy owners do.
You do realize I said owners a d coaches as well as players. Reading can be your friend.

I called Owners out as well.

From micro economics, Fair market price is defined as a price that a seller, not compelled to sell is willing to accept and similarly for a buyer. Notice the words “value” or “worth” do not appear in that definition. By definition, what they are being paid is fair.

Hey I have no problem with Capitalism, hell I am a CPA and have owned many rental properties through my LLC, you may have even stayed in my Orange Beach condos. I just do not believe that playing sports or owning sports teams are worth the kind of money they are getting paid. I choose not to pay the cost of tickets because I do not feel the value of the product is worth the cost. Many fans do and I have no problem with what they do with their discretionary income.

Hey I have no problem with Capitalism, hell I am a CPA and have owned many rental properties through my LLC, you may have even stayed in my Orange Beach condos. I just do not believe that playing sports or owning sports teams are worth the kind of money they are getting paid. I choose not to pay the cost of tickets because I do not feel the value of the product is worth the cost. Many fans do and I have no problem with what they do with their discretionary income

Griping about someone else making money is absolute LOSER thinking.
I'm split on this. On the one hand, I agree.

On the other hand, we have countless examples throughout history where people had way too much damn money. I mean, let's look at the conditions right before the French Revolution. The people of France were starving to death, couldn't even buy bread, and the monarchy was partying its butt off nearly every night. Were the people of France losers for complaining about very real disparity? I don't think so.

Now, today, anyone technically has a chance to make it big, but yet, we do see some very real challenges in the American and world economies. I don't think anyone should be limited to how much they can make per se, but what we are seeing is humongous widening of the gaps in the classes (and that's happened in history before too.) It's not sustainable. At all. If wages continue to stagnate and prices continue to rise of everyday goods? Well, ask the French and the Russians what comes next.

Reactions: wardlow
$12,000,000 income
10% to agent, etc
Fed tax rate 37%

Calitaxes tax rate--12.3%. plus extra 1% over first million.

Sadly--that $12 million becomes less than $5.5million by the time the feds and state take their share.

rr
Which while that sucks....is more than most will see in their lifetimes.

Hey I have no problem with Capitalism, hell I am a CPA and have owned many rental properties through my LLC, you may have even stayed in my Orange Beach condos. I just do not believe that playing sports or owning sports teams are worth the kind of money they are getting paid. I choose not to pay the cost of tickets because I do not feel the value of the product is worth the cost. Many fans do and I have no problem with what they do with their discretionary income.
As I pointed out, the very definition of fair market value has no notion of value or worth. Many in the arena would no doubt agree with you AFTER they had paid for the ticket, bought the beer and the other paraphernalia that funds those salaries.

Another way to think of it is you offering Mel 10 grand to do something and I refuse. Because of that you make nothing. Or you offer me 10 million and you make 50 million. Am I worth 10 mill?

As I pointed out, the very definition of fair market value has no notion of value or worth. Many in the arena would no doubt agree with you AFTER they had paid for the ticket, bought the beer and the other paraphernalia that funds those salaries.

Another way to think of it is you offering Mel 10 grand to do something and I refuse. Because of that you make nothing. Or you offer me 10 million and you make 50 million. Am I worth 10 mill?
Depends on what you bring to table and risk. Eventually the market will determine if sporting events are worth the high percentage of discretionary income for a family. Disney is starting to see the effects now. I used to love to attend sporting events in person but as I aged the hassle, time and cost sent me to flat screen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT