ADVERTISEMENT

KY Volleyball Team, the Missing Joy and my Friend Chump

Mobilecat2

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 24, 2002
It seems like Ky has been cursed in a way. Ky football dealing with cancer diagnosis for John and Josh. The death of a young fan after going to his first KY game. The cancer diagnosis and loss of a member of our golf team. The loss of John and then Chris Oats having a stroke. The disaster that was Ky's basketball season combined with the unspeakable tragedy of losing Terrance Clarke. All with the backdrop of a deviating pandemic. The constant social unrest the nonstop bickering and division that is our current state as a country as we try and come to grips with the evil that is social media and an unequaled disdain for tolerating any dissenting opinion. Seeing myself reflective in the hardened intolerant stance that is all too common,

I knew John well, I watched a little of him die each day and could see the overall impact on the coaches and team. But he inspired me as I would end up being diagnosed with a disease that would take all of my energy to face. Shortly after wrapping up almost a year of brutal treatments, I get a call from my brother letting me know my sister-in-law was diagnosed with breast cancer and another battle begins. I have felt my so much of what I found enjoyable, becoming intolerable.

For what was likely years, myself and @Chump Change X when back and forth. I don't really remember why our feud started, but I have no doubt he wasn't able to align with my charming personality. So back and forth we went until a PM led to some exchanges of actual dialogue. Come fo find out, neither one of us really know why we were arguing. Although we may not agree on everything, as it turns out you can do that and still get along, but we also share a lot in common. As the months have passed, I have come to not only respect Chump but to consider him a friend. One of several friendships I've come to enjoy as a longtime member of this board. It was Chump that actually tipped me off about watching some of the non revenue sports.

I followed VB enjoying seeing Lexington's own Leah Edmond become a dominating player. I was amazed at the astonishing athleticism of the players and the enjoyable pace of the game. Seeing Ky reach historic highs has been fun, but I was wondering if Ky would ever break through. But then comes this team, so incredibly resilient, so determined, so close, the very definition of a team. The women brought KY and the SEC a historic championship 16 years in the making. They also brought JOY back to the BBN. They did the way that great teams always do. They came together, embraced the power of a team versus individuals and refused to lose. Never backing down. JD noted that Texas would play with their hair on fire in that 4th set. They did, but this team refused to buckle because champions NEVER back down and they never give up. Thanks and a shoutout to my friend Chump who represents so much of what I respect and a huge thanks to our National Championship Volleyball Team.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News