ADVERTISEMENT

Kuhn and Shepherd drafted in 13th round

Originally posted by CoachZ77:
Kuhn by the A's, Shepherd by the Red Sox.
That may mean bye-bye to one or both. Odds are Kuhn will certainly go, Shepherd may come back, but thats reasonably high for those two !

Michael Thomas also drafted today. Very happy for him as he came in lightly recruited, worked his tail off, and developed into a very good player his senior year.

Also, incoming signees Pop and Lewis, both RHP, have been drafted today as well.

This post was edited on 6/7 5:50 PM by DubyaT

Originally posted by DubyaT:
Michael Thomas also drafted today. Very happy for him as he came in lightly recruited, worked his tail off, and developed into a very good player his senior year.

Also, incoming submerge Pop and Lewis, both RHP, have been drafted today as well.
Great for Michael Thomas, great work ethic, great person. Zachery Pop is our highest ranked recruit out of Ontario Canada. What rounds were these players drafted in ??

This post was edited on 6/7 5:49 PM by CloverforkCat

Wow... didn't expect Shepherd to go quite that high. I think that is enough to send him to the majors. Very proud of Thomas. He came in as a walk on and worked his way to professional baseball. Very nice.

Who the hell is going to play 3rd base for us next year? We don't have a single person who has played any time at 3rd base. We have 3 guys on our roster that can play multiple infield positions, but I have a hard time trusting guys that couldn't even make it onto the field this year.

Originally posted by Comebakatz3:
Who the hell is going to play 3rd base for us next year? We don't have a single person who has played any time at 3rd base. We have 3 guys on our roster that can play multiple infield positions, but I have a hard time trusting guys that couldn't even make it onto the field this year.
Looking at the roster and the unofficial list of commitments on Perfect Game, it's tough to figure out. Maybe they have a JUCO kid coming in for that spot, or maybe incoming signee Riley can play 3rd. Other than third and the starting pitchers (especially weekend starting pitching roles), we've got a pretty good idea of who will comprise the lineup.

Another question...why in the hell does UK no longer release an official list of baseball signees? I don't understand the veil of secrecy once the kids have signed their LOI.

Looking at the roster and the unofficial list of commitments on Perfect Game, it's tough to figure out. Maybe they have a JUCO kid coming in for that spot, or maybe incoming signee Riley can play 3rd. Other than third and the starting pitchers (especially weekend starting pitching roles), we've got a pretty good idea of who will comprise the lineup.

Another question...why in the hell does UK no longer release an official list of baseball signees? I don't understand the veil of secrecy once the kids have signed their LOI.
I believe they wait until after the kids actually decide whether they are going to go pro or go to Kentucky.

I have a hard time trusting someone at a key position that the majors didn't even want to take a risk on in late rounds. Of the possible candidates none of them have been drafted out of high school (Tyler Marshall, Troy Squires, or Riley Mahan). Justin Lewis is a possible candidate, and the only one drafted if I am not mistaken. Doesn't look well at that position if you ask me.

^ Pretty sure Mahan was drafted very late.

Overall, I don't disagree re the roster questions going into next year, as the Cats could take a big step back with the pitching issues and the offensive production lost.

^ Pretty sure Mahan was drafted very late.

Overall, I don't disagree re the roster questions going into next year, as the Cats could take a big step back with the pitching issues and the offensive production lost.
You are right, he was taken extremely late. Maybe he is the one. Still, makes me very nervous. I know Thomas worked his way up after being undrafted and others have done so as well, but I think I'd rather have these guys mature and then start for us as juniors and seniors rather than have to step in as relatively undrafted freshmen or sophomores. Still, I suppose they can surprise anyone.

In terms of pitching... nothing about that sounds good. We lose our ace, Reed, and we likely lose Shepherd. That leaves us with Nelson, Cody and Brown? Not encouraging, but the talent is there. After that... it gets very scary because no one has stepped up, other than maybe Spencer Jack, to look like a decent and reliable pitcher out of the pen. Maybe we saw Logan Salow grow up and he'll be a go to, but there certainly are a lot of question marks.

The best option for 3rd base is Thomas Bernal, he has actually played a little there in 2012 I believe. 1st base could be done maybe like also in 2012 when Maile and Williams alternated between C and 1st base. This time Zack Arnold and Greg Fettes could alternate. Troy Squires may also be a possibility at 3rd base.

Originally posted by CloverforkCat:

The best option for 3rd base is Thomas Bernal, he has actually played a little there in 2012 I believe. 1st base could be done maybe like also in 2012 when Maile and Williams alternated between C and 1st base. This time Zack Arnold and Greg Fettes could alternate. Troy Squires may also be a possibility at 3rd base.
That was also something that I considered. However, Henderson hasn't really shown a big propensity to move players in the infield. Bernal likely should have played 3B this year with Kuhn as DH and Reed at 1st. At least that should have happened some, but we never even tried to do that. So, if I had to guess he will try to keep Bernal at first. Reida is another example. He was probably better as a second baseman, but Henderson kept him at SS for years. So, I kind of doubt that Henderson will move anyone around too much. Will likely see Heady at SS, Shelby at 2nd, Bernal at first and someone new at 3rd. SHould be interesting though.

^^^^^ If we do come up with a servicable 3rd baseman, the other 3 infield spots should be solid. Heady will be better than Reida, especially on defense, Shelby was solid at 2nd as a true freshman, and of course Bernal is solid at 1st. With Arnold/Fettes as Catchers, and Tom, Barrett, Wilson, Hairston and Carson comprise a solid outfield both offensively and defensively.
The key really next season is the pitching staff, hopefully they can all get plenty of action in the College summer circuit !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT