ADVERTISEMENT

KU vs UAB

Mighty Furman spanked this UAB team that is giving KU all it can handle.

Giving KU "all it can handle". UAB went on one spurt late in the first half knocking a lead from 22 down to 5. But in the 2nd half it was never in doubt....not sure it even got down into single digits after KU went on their initial run to start the 2nd half. With ~ 2-3 mins. left got up to 24.

Am I wrong in thinking that Josh Jackson is wildly overrated? Outside of dunking and getting to the basket against slow high school and college players, I don't see what all the hype is about. His jump shot is totally broken (he must have learned to shoot from Shawn Marion?) and his defense isn't all that elite. I honestly think he won't be one of the best five players on the floor in Lexington on January 28.

LMFAO!!! Yeah, whatever. Name 4 better!!!

i'm unimpressed by a few power dunks and the suspect defense he played against UA friggin' B. it's not a stretch to think that Fox, Monk, Briscoe, and Bam will all outclass Jackson on January 28. Lord knows you guys won't shoot 50 free throws like you did last year. We win that going away if the Zebras had called a legitimate game.

Wait....a UK fan making fun of who KU's played, when they've ALREADY PLAYED No. 4 IU & No. 6 DUKE?!?!?!?!? Jackson looked pretty good in those games too were it not for some shoddy officiating & Freshman in his 1st couple of games emotions that got him benched in Foul trouble.

UAB's the worst team KU"s played so far and sure as heck of a whole helluva' lot better than Canisius, Stephen F. Austin (in their 1st game under a new coach and with much of their talent gone) & Duquesne!!!

Kansas has definitely had the early tests, but they didn't pass every single one.

But our backcourt is already better and tougher than Kansas', despite whatever nonsense you buy into.

Briscoe/Fox/Monk > Mason and Graham.

They will be better in a month, by the end of the season, and certainly better in the NBA. Your guards are upperclassmen, ours are under classmen. It's a wrap.

Reactions: KyFord and ukfan041
Kansas has definitely had the early tests, but they didn't pass every single one.

But our backcourt is already better and tougher than Kansas', despite whatever nonsense you buy into.

They will be better in a month, by the end of the season, and certainly better in the NBA. Your guards are upperclassmen, ours are under classmen. It's a wrap.
The good thing is we get to see in January. Should be a helluva matchup

UK by 15 plus going away if not worse!! Way more talent in backcourt hands down. If their backcourt was more talented they wouldn't even be in school y would they? They would all ready be in NBA. Its going to be a steal and block party vs their backcourt. It going to be commical with about 10 minutes to go in game. Game will be over by then. LOL!

KU is similar to UK last season in that they get almost all of their production from the guard and wing spot

yeah...they were up 10-0 in the first 2-3 minutes and i focused on watching uconn sucking hard. turned back...and it was just 10.

ku has really good guards but they dont get much help. should be way way better for all the talent on that team

UK by 15 plus going away if not worse!! Way more talent in backcourt hands down. If their backcourt was more talented they wouldn't even be in school y would they? They would all ready be in NBA. Its going to be a steal and block party vs their backcourt. It going to be commical with about 10 minutes to go in game. Game will be over by then. LOL!

Well that's just, you know, your opinion, man.

Yes....you are wrong. He is averaging 14 and 5 as a true freshmen after 4 games....his first two games being against top 5 IU and UK. Is he some reincarnation of lebron james...certainly not. His shot needs work but for a guy shooting 56% from the field and 33% from 3, Id say totally broken might be an exaggeration. He is averaging 1.5 steals per game and 1 block----while not being gary payton four games in, he more than holds his on defensively and should get better as the year goes on. What does jackson have to do, in your opinion, toot be wildly overrated? 25 and 10?

I think Jackson is really good. Is he better than Monk, IDK, but he will either be a lottery pick, or right outside it. He just picked the wrong school to play for. :cool2:

Briscoe, Fox and Monk may end up being > Mason and Graham (and Jackson - who you left out), but right now that's your opinion and Kentucky has not played anyone yet this season to have a reasonable measure of comparison (I do not think MSU is a top 25 team). I will take KU's backcourt rotation over Kentucky's any day of the week. And I should, I'm a KU fan.

Cool story.

I'm not really including Josh Jackson as a true backcourt player. Why do I get the feeling if we compared frontcourts he'd count for that too? Fact, Mason and Graham are playing 35mpg.. THEY are your backcourt. They bring the ball up and setup the offense, even IF Jackson is an NBA #2.

If you REALLY want to throw a 6'8" player to your backcourt, fine. I'll give the nod to Kansas (anyone would, probably most Kentucky fans). But you're a touching moron if you think Frank and Graham are better.

Cool story.

I'm not really including Josh Jackson as a true backcourt player. Why do I get the feeling if we compared frontcourts he'd count for that too? Fact, Mason and Graham are playing 35mpg.. THEY are your backcourt. They bring the ball up and setup the offense, even IF Jackson is an NBA #2.

If you REALLY want to throw a 6'8" player to your backcourt, fine. I'll give the nod to Kansas (anyone would, probably most Kentucky fans). But you're a touching moron if you think Frank and Graham are better.

Well, then you need to exclude Monk, since he's not out there initiating offense either. I think your best guard is Briscoe, by a country mile and we couldn't stop his drives last year and doubt we will be able to this year. Fox is an athletic freak and his potential is not his freshman year at Kentucky, it is longer term in the NBA. Fox is easy to defend. Give him space and make him a jump shooter and he becomes average. Also, stop Kentucky's transition game and make you a half court team. You have plenty of depth in the post, but no true post scorer. We'll need to defensive rebound though to keep your post depth advantage from creating easy second chance points or lay-ups.

I'm going to go ahead and call our game a toss up this year, but going with KU in an overtime thriller 85-84 good guys.

Also, do you guys forget that you didn't pass all of your tests? You LOST to Indiana. A team that just got beat by some crappy in-state school.

When you make the argument that "You guys haven't played anyone".. maybe make sure you beat the good teams you played. While I won't argue that Kansas has had the tougher schedule for sure, IU really isn't that much better than MSU at this point.

Not to mention, you seem to assume that Kentucky would lose if they had Kansas' schedule. Maybe, but that's not a given. This isn't Boise St or BYU with an easy Schedule.. it's still Kentucky.. and they'd still be favorited over IU and depleted Duke.

Reactions: ukfan041
Kentucky by 16 if we get the home treatment you guys got last year.

Oh and..

Briscoe/Fox still better than Mason/Graham.

Reactions: Dirk2Bowie
Well, then you need to exclude Monk, since he's not out there initiating offense either. I think your best guard is Briscoe, by a country mile and we couldn't stop his drives last year and doubt we will be able to this year. Fox is an athletic freak and his potential is not his freshman year at Kentucky, it is longer term in the NBA. Fox is easy to defend. Give him space and make him a jump shooter and he becomes average. Also, stop Kentucky's transition game and make you a half court team. You have plenty of depth in the post, but no true post scorer. We'll need to defensive rebound though to keep your post depth advantage from creating easy second chance points or lay-ups.

I'm going to go ahead and call our game a toss up this year, but going with KU in an overtime thriller 85-84 good guys.

cee265deeae115a61ff61ba679ecbeec.jpg

Also, do you guys forget that you didn't pass all of your tests? You LOST to Indiana. A team that just got beat by some crappy in-state school.

When you make the argument that "You guys haven't played anyone".. maybe make sure you beat the good teams you played. While I won't argue that Kansas has had the tougher schedule for sure, IU really isn't that much better than MSU at this point.

Not to mention, you seem to assume that Kentucky would lose if they had Kansas' schedule. Maybe, but that's not a given. This isn't Boise St or BYU with an easy Schedule.. it's still Kentucky.. and they'd still be favorited over IU and depleted Duke.

You are way undervaluing Indiana. They have the talent to be a Final Four team. Michigan State does not and its not close. Being competitive against a FF quality team that you lose to in OT by a basket on the first game of the year has value.

I made no implication that Kentucky would lose with our schedule. That was a flawed inference on your part. Kentucky may have won all of the games we've played. By the same token, Kentucky may have lost all of the games we've played. My point is, in this argument, we've played teams which give us the ability to evaluate and improve upon our weaknesses. Kentucky has yet to do so, so any opinion that Kentucky's guards are better than KU's guards this season to date, is not based on observable evidence - it's strictly opinion. Kentucky does have a stretch of super tough non-conference games this year, once the slew of patsies are behind you.

ku fans can come over here with their false bravado. they have a good team....but lets be real, privately they are worried as all hell about their team. their guards need to do everything. their bigs are the worst and really not going to get better. they will win the big 12 because its a league with zero talent but when it comes to real teams...might not be pretty.

their ceiling is pretty low...front court will always hold them back

ku fans can come over here with their false bravado. they have a good team....but lets be real, privately they are worried as all hell about their team. their guards need to do everything. their bigs are the worst and really not going to get better. they will win the big 12 because its a league with zero talent but when it comes to real teams...might not be pretty.

We've already beaten real teams or are you doubting Duke as a real team since they were only able to suit up 6 of their 8 McD AA's and another top 40 recruit?

I will publicly say that our post play is a concern. I will also publicly say that our post play will get better as the season progresses. Will it be the #1 post rotation in the country? No. But it will be comparable to Kentucky's, albeit with less depth.

We've already beaten real teams or are you doubting Duke as a real team since they were only able to suit up 6 of their 8 McD AA's and another top 40 recruit?

I will publicly say that our post play is a concern. I will also publicly say that our post play will get better as the season progresses. Will it be the #1 post rotation in the country? No. But it will be comparable to Kentucky's, albeit with less depth.

Holy shit.. You LOST to IU... The only real team you've beaten is Duke (still a great win). How are you not getting this? Or do you not understand your own team's record?

Siena and UAB aren't real teams. Georgia is in a power conference but is worse than many mid majors.

Lol I love when dumb Kansas fans have to say "6 Mcdonalds All Americans" instead of actually listing them.. Because I'm pretty sure "All-American" sounds better than "Chase Jeter".

My God, you're so transparent.

Also, no Briscoe and winning by 40 before we started putting reserves in.

IDC how bad Cleveland St. may be. That says a lot about our freshman to handle that game, basically on their own (aside from Hump and Mulder).

Fox is an athletic freak and his potential is not his freshman year at Kentucky, it is longer term in the NBA. Fox is easy to defend. Give him space and make him a jump shooter and he becomes average.

Lol, finished with a double-double. OK! Lmfao.

Also, good looks on explaining how potential works.

You are way undervaluing Indiana. They have the talent to be a Final Four team. Michigan State does not and its not close. Being competitive against a FF quality team that you lose to in OT by a basket on the first game of the year has value.

I made no implication that Kentucky would lose with our schedule. That was a flawed inference on your part. Kentucky may have won all of the games we've played. By the same token, Kentucky may have lost all of the games we've played. My point is, in this argument, we've played teams which give us the ability to evaluate and improve upon our weaknesses. Kentucky has yet to do so, so any opinion that Kentucky's guards are better than KU's guards this season to date, is not based on observable evidence - it's strictly opinion. Kentucky does have a stretch of super tough non-conference games this year, once the slew of patsies are behind you.
IU relies too heavily on the 3 ball to be a real serious FF threat IMO. I'll start taking bets now that IU won't make the FF this year.

Gonna be a beatdown, IMO, as well.

Reactions: buckkiller
this ku squad reminds me of last years uk team. 3 guards that run the show with mediocre and inconsistent big men. the main guards have to go out and get 20 to win games. good enough to beat average teams, but dont have the horses to beat good ones and will be susceptible to some teams certain nights because an off night by a guard.

I think you're so right about this. Kansas is a lite version of last year's Kentucky team. The reason I say lite version is the fact that while KU's guard play is strong and one of the best in the entire country, when you look at last year's Kentucky team, Ulis and Murray are better players than the KU guards. We're talking about a KU team that is strong in the backcourt and very weak in their frontcourt. While Skal never looked the part of being a beast in college, at least he had upside and tools to work with to actually be a good player. KU's bigs don't have much upside. The big white dude just isn't ever going to be the player KU fans swear to us he will become next year. It just ain't happening. That is a kid that should be starting for a mid major somewhere and putting up average stats like the talent the kid is working with on the court. Bragg looked like a lock to be one of the best SO players in college basketball. I think we all might have been fooled with Bragg. The kid looks lost most of the time he is out there. With this kid's frame, KU shouldn't have as big of a problem rebounding the ball. Like last year's Kentucky team, it doesn't matter how talented your backcourt is if you don't have a couple of big guys that can rebound and score some baskets inside the paint.

I think you're so right about this. Kansas is a lite version of last year's Kentucky team. The reason I say lite version is the fact that while KU's guard play is strong and one of the best in the entire country, when you look at last year's Kentucky team, Ulis and Murray are better players than the KU guards. We're talking about a KU team that is strong in the backcourt and very weak in their frontcourt. While Skal never looked the part of being a beast in college, at least he had upside and tools to work with to actually be a good player. KU's bigs don't have much upside. The big white dude just isn't ever going to be the player KU fans swear to us he will become next year. It just ain't happening. That is a kid that should be starting for a mid major somewhere and putting up average stats like the talent the kid is working with on the court. Bragg looked like a lock to be one of the best SO players in college basketball. I think we all might have been fooled with Bragg. The kid looks lost most of the time he is out there. With this kid's frame, KU shouldn't have as big of a problem rebounding the ball. Like last year's Kentucky team, it doesn't matter how talented your backcourt is if you don't have a couple of big guys that can rebound and score some baskets inside the paint.

ku has more scoring depth on the perimeter this year, but uk had better inside guys. its a wash...might suit ku better to have guard/wings do most of the shooting. especially in the big 12 where there are no bigs. but at the end of the day...how do you stop good teams?

uk is ku's worst possible match up...bigger athletic guards that can defend, and good big men.

As a KU fan, I unfortunately agree with most of this post. The only way I differ is that I do think KU bigs will get a little better. How can they get any worse? The key is Carlton Bragg. He has been given every opportunity to fill in the Perry Ellis void and has simply fallen short. He just looks awkward out there for whatever reason. If his mid-range shot becomes consistent and he can pick up a few more rebounds he would meet my now low expectations for him this season.

I like KU at the 1-4 spots. Mason and Graham are great college guards. Jacskon is a lottery pick at the 3. Bragg will be good by season's end, I believe. Mykhailiuk and Vick are solid role players off the bench.

They are really weak at the 5, though.

Lucas is a solid Senior role player, but isn't going to give them much, especially on the offensive end. Azubuike is a few years away from being a consistent, productive big man. Against good big men, they are in trouble, which is why they lost to IU, IMHO.

They are very similar to our team last year.

Guards can take you far in the tourney, though, given the right draw. They could make a run, but the margin for error is very small without a post game.

Who is the big white dude?? SVI?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT