ADVERTISEMENT

KU gets another top portal player (Update - Dickinson also announces his return)

Is Kansas big four portals > Williams, Osobor, Oweh and Smith? Not to mention possibly Carr, White, Chandler, Mahaney and Stojackovic among a couple of others possibly?

Last edited:
Is Kansas big four portals > Williams, Osobor, Oweh and Smith? Not to mention possibly Carr, White, Chandler, Mahaney and Stojackovic among a couple of others possibly?
I would say no. Especially if Kugel doesn’t make it to KU. But you guys are building a whole team and we have 3 starters (potentially 4 pending Furphy returning).

KU is simply addressing the areas of concern from last year—shooting and shot creating. I’m sure defense will have its struggles with HD and Storr but atleast we won’t go on 10 minute scoring droughts again.

UK will be set up great after this weekend and likely have a more talented roster at the end than anything Pope had at BYU. Probably a top 10ish team come November tip off.

More excuses.
No, it's realistic with where we are at.

Here's the reality

We hired a guy who is unknown in most circles

He came from a school that is unique in its religious role so a roster purge isn't going to happen

Pope is late in the recruiting game as the type of player he targeted while recruiting at BYU is not the type he now has to target at UK.

We've been known as 'One and Done U" for 15 years. Recruits aren't just going to line up to jump immediately at Kentucky with Pope. Most don't want to be the first through the door. They want to see how things go first.

Credibility has to be restablished now with Mark Pope at the helm. We don't have this issue if we hired say like a Nate Oats or Tommy Lloyd type but this is the direction Mitch wanted to go so this is the reality of where we are starting.

Reactions: RunninRichie
At some point, Pope needs to start landing some big time transfers.

I understand having patience, and hopefully we will get some good news this weekend, but there is no excuse for Pope not to have landed some big time transfers/recruits at this point. Especially when there is an abundance of playing time and NIL at UK.
This was kind of my worry when hiring Pope. He’s a nice ,religious , do the right thing kind of guy. Couple that with our Chiorboy AD and it’s scary. It’s gotta be rough out on that recruiting trail now. Bill Self will slit your throat, pull your tongue thru your neck and tie a bow. That’s Bill playing nice.

I would say no. Especially if Kugel doesn’t make it to KU. But you guys are building a whole team and we have 3 starters (potentially 4 pending Furphy returning).

KU is simply addressing the areas of concern from last year—shooting and shot creating. I’m sure defense will have its struggles with HD and Storr but atleast we won’t go on 10 minute scoring droughts again.

UK will be set up great after this weekend and likely have a more talented roster at the end than anything Pope had at BYU. Probably a top 10ish team come November tip off.
Furphy is gone.

SMFH....I like what Pope is doing but some good news on a big time player is much needed

They have now added 4 of the top portal guys - Griffen, Mayo, Kugel and Storr. All of them 6'4 -6'6 guards. Unbelievable.

Is this that fool who called in to KSR. Why in the hell do we need 4 more guards, maybe one or two and UK did not even talk to them so my guess is they did not want them, and just remember Pope beat Self on his own floor last year with that BYU team so just chill.

Is this that fool who called in to KSR. Why in the hell do we need 4 more guards, maybe one or two and UK did not even talk to them so my guess is they did not want them, and just remember Pope beat Self on his own floor last year with that BYU team so just chill.
I heard that call as well. Highly doubt it was JF, who is a DUKE fan.

But at the same time Matt acted like a child and hung up on the dude just because he had an opinion.

That was not a very good Kansas roster last season so it stands to reason Self is going to try his hardest to accumulate more talent than he had last year.

Reactions: HAWK1962
I would recommend not obsessing about what other teams are doing, focus on our own roster, be patient, and let things play out. Everyone is rebuilding rosters right now. One commitment at another school at any given time doesn’t mean we are suddenly trailing behind.
That’s the problem. Absolutely nothing is going on with our roster. So not much to focus on.

At some point, Pope needs to start landing some big time transfers.

I understand having patience, and hopefully we will get some good news this weekend, but there is no excuse for Pope not to have landed some big time transfers/recruits at this point. Especially when there is an abundance of playing time and NIL at UK.
Sure there is … they didn’t want to come here, they didn’t fit your system, they are taking all of their visits before committing, they are getting more money some where else, they think another spot helps them more … there are lots of reasons…. Fans need to stop thinking Pope or any coach can say hey we are KY, come here to play and it’s just gonna happen and in the time frame when we feel like it should ..Those days are over

KU lost a top 40 incoming freshman. Also Hunter Dickinson may not stay
They lost that freshman pg because Self is bringing in all of these guys better than him. It was also mentioned in another thread that they are on verge of getting commit from top PG in 2025 class, so I'm sure he saw the writing on the wall. Also according to reports looks like HD is coming back. Guessing NIL money pays more than 2nd round non-guaranteed money.

Reactions: HAWK1962
I heard that call as well. Highly doubt it was JF, who is a DUKE fan.

But at the same time Matt acted like a child and hung up on the dude just because he had an opinion.
I would have hung up on him as well, he acted like an A hole on the phone. Plus from the best I can find out UK never talked to those guys KU picked up, so I guess it means they were not interested in them. I trust Pope.

I would have hung up on him as well, he acted like an A hole on the phone. Plus from the best I can find out UK never talked to those guys KU picked up, so I guess it means they were not interested in them. I trust Pope.
Not sure how he acted liek an a hole? Matt jones said UK wasnt recruiting those guys, the caller asked why not? Jones gets mad, screams and hangs up.

Reactions: jwphelps
Sure there is … they didn’t want to come here, they didn’t fit your system, they are taking all of their visits before committing, they are getting more money some where else, they think another spot helps them more … there are lots of reasons…. Fans need to stop thinking Pope or any coach can say hey we are KY, come here to play and it’s just gonna happen and in the time frame when we feel like it should ..Those days are over
Except I never said any of that. Not once, in any of my posts in this thread, have I said that Pope should be getting players because it is UK...

I have clearly said that Pope should be pulling in some of these higher end transfer targets because of UKs NIL collective and because of the abundance of playing time. He has NO excuses. No reason at all that UK should not be a top 15 team going into next season with all the resources it has at their disposal.

I will be patient, but live in reality at the same time. Pope is not off to a good start, but that can always change quickly.

Except I never said any of that. Not once, in any of my posts in this thread, have I said that Pope should be getting players because it is UK...

I have clearly said that Pope should be pulling in some of these higher end transfer targets because of UKs NIL collective and because of the abundance of playing time. He has NO excuses. No reason at all that UK should not be a top 15 team going into next season with all the resources it has at their disposal.

I will be patient, but live in reality at the same time. Pope is not off to a good start, but that can always change quickly.
Your exact words was and I quote, "but there is no excuse for Pope not to have landed some big time transfers/recruits at this point. " So yes, you did say that. My response speaks to that because there are reasons as to why. Besides, its not a personal attack, its simply a response. My personal opinion is UK has a lot of ground to make up and other teams will be quicker players in the portal because they will simply be better over the next couple of years. I don't think UK has the leverage a lot of people seems to think we have and it will take Pope a year or two to truly be a national player. But, that is pure speculation, he could absolutely turn it around must quicker, I am just not all shocked to see teams Like UCONN, Duke, Kansas, ETC, beating us out for players because they present a better opportunity next season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT