ADVERTISEMENT

KU gets another top portal player (Update - Dickinson also announces his return)

JFCats22

All-American
Feb 3, 2015
SMFH....I like what Pope is doing but some good news on a big time player is much needed

They have now added 4 of the top portal guys - Griffen, Mayo, Kugel and Storr. All of them 6'4 -6'6 guards. Unbelievable.

At some point, Pope needs to start landing some big time transfers.

I understand having patience, and hopefully we will get some good news this weekend, but there is no excuse for Pope not to have landed some big time transfers/recruits at this point. Especially when there is an abundance of playing time and NIL at UK.

Surprised he left Bama. He was a key piece for them. Adidas money must speak.
A starter on a final 4 team as a sophomore and will likely be coming off the bench next year at KU.
With the talent Self has on next years roster, not sure KU will be better if Dickinson returns. He is a defensive liability, and they have the top HS center coming in that is known for his defense.

Unless you are KU...they lost nobody to the portal.
Will be interesting to see if we are able to retain players here in a couple years when Pope gets the culture established and players he recruited. Outside of his coaching the worst part with Cal was the constant roster turnover and new team every year.

You naysayers are ridiculous...the man has been on the job for like two weeks. Bill Self has been the coach at KU for like 20 years...

You expect kids to drop everything and come to UK for UK...its not like that anymore. NIL rules the roost...followed by a "flashy" named coach...

Give the man some time to get his feet under him...

I think we’ll see that loading a roster with the highest ranked portal players available may not produce the best results. The programs that get the correct pieces that fit together to make a team will be the most successful.
Davis is the #1 player in the Portal, yet he is ball dominant and this may not work for every team.

I think we’ll see that loading a roster with the highest ranked portal players available may not produce the best results. The programs that get the correct pieces that fit together to make a team will be the most successful.
Davis is the #1 player in the Portal, yet he is ball dominant and this may not work for every team.
So now we don't want either the top high school or top portal player?That's interesting.

• Haha
Reactions: anonymous_2011
You naysayers are ridiculous...the man has been on the job for like two weeks. Bill Self has been the coach at KU for like 20 years...

You expect kids to drop everything and come to UK for UK...its not like that anymore. NIL rules the roost...followed by a "flashy" named coach...

How dare you bring common sense and reason here.

Wasn’t there a bunch of negatives about Storr?

Good luck with him and Hunter on the squad together.

Reactions: UKBloke
At some point, Pope needs to start landing some big time transfers.

I understand having patience, and hopefully we will get some good news this weekend, but there is no excuse for Pope not to have landed some big time transfers/recruits at this point. Especially when there is an abundance of playing time and NIL at UK.
You understand patience but you don’t really understand patience.

Reactions: BassProCat

I don't think anyone has said that players should come to UK because it is UK...and if they have, they don't understand the current college athletics landscape.

What I have seen is many fans saying with the NIL collective UK has to offer, plus an abundance of playing time, there is no reason Pope cannot be getting high end tranfers/recruits to commit.

Like I said, I will remain patient, but there is no excuse for Pope not to be able to reel some of these big time transfers into the program.

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
We will lose Kugel—academics it sounds like. But Griffen was a must-get for defense and shooting. Think Mayo will be 6th man unless we can convince KJ Adams to do it and slide storr to the 4.

I keep hearing Javon Small’s name as the only other guy we have a big connection with, but really Furphy’s decision on returning vs NBA will be a major factor in any other pieces we try to add.

Hard to keep up with all the dudes Self has been recruiting.

Reactions: Warf2012

The lunatic fringe are no more than agents of chaos. It's on steriods since they can hide behind a computer and try and agitate UK fans on a UK board.

Reactions: Ugoff
A starter on a final 4 team as a sophomore and will likely be coming off the bench next year at KU.
With the talent Self has on next years roster, not sure KU will be better if Dickinson returns. He is a defensive liability, and they have the top HS center coming in that is known for his defense.
Well he is leaving for a reason. I am sure he thought about that prior to entering the portal

This is the Kentucky board. People come here for UK threads. The KU recruiting forum is out there somewhere.
He doesnt care. He only posts negative things, or news of other teams landing players and how screwed we are. The guy is NOT a UK Fan. Go back and look at his history, has he ever made a positive post?

DUDE IS A MAJOR TROLL.

The moderators here are horrible or they would do something about it,.

I'm wondering if he has a premium account so can't be banned? Because it's beyond obvious in the game threads. He completley ruins them and then VANISHES the very moment that it becomes obvious that we'll win.

Premium account and unbannable??
he showed up here right after Wisonsin beat UK in the final four. he spent a month posting pro Duke crap, which was obvious he was a troll. The moderators have never done anything about it.

he showed up here right after Wisonsin beat UK in the final four. he spent a month posting pro Duke crap, which was obvious he was a troll. The moderators have never done anything about it.
That would make sense. I've seen him numberious time post Duke getting a player and saying "so much for Duke falling off of a cliff post-K."

This is an abomination.

I would recommend not obsessing about what other teams are doing, focus on our own roster, be patient, and let things play out. Everyone is rebuilding rosters right now. One commitment at another school at any given time doesn’t mean we are suddenly trailing behind.

So like no one returns on any team? Feel like almost all of Alabamas team left. This portal business is a nightmare
What is even crazier and head scratching about Self's run through the portal is all of their guys last year came BACK. They lost one guy to the NBA and I think Macullar finally graduated, but that's it. So they return like 5 core guys and add another 4 in the portal plus some freshmen. I guess Self didn't like only having 8 scholarship players last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT