ADVERTISEMENT

KSU beats UK and offers Tandy

My biggest question with KyKy is....can he shoot. With the way the game is played now....three point shooting is far and away the most important skill. It's devastating and unguardable. The recruiting priorities should be:

1. A point guard who can break down defenses one on one and can finish
2. Three point shooters
3. A couple more three point shooters
4. A big who can rebound our three point misses and kick said rebound back out for another three point attempt.
5. Walk-ons who can shoot the three
Yes, his range is deeeeeeep.

Cal promises all his top 4-5 guys all the minutes....Alexander was so much better than Green he had no choice but play him and Green got injured. If you are not a 5 star you won’t get minutes. So players like Matthews sit the bench and know with Monk and Fox coming they will never see the court.

What a load of crap.

How can a kid with the name of the state x2 go anywhere besides UK? I just don't see it.

KYKY (KY)

jiFfM.jpg

There are exceptions to every rule, Ulis and Chuck Hayes had as big a heart as anybody and were among my favorite players. Maybe Willis not getting the chance until Cal had no other choice but to play him is that reason.

Reactions: crestcat
I'll take him, Ulis was treated way different than Willis was.

Can you tell us Willis' level of commitment his first 2 years to basketball?

I can tell you his commitment to partying and girls...

Note: DW is a great kid and a friend to one of my sons, and he will be the first to tell you that he wasnt all in on basketball when he arrived at UK.

Reactions: JFCats22
If you think it's stupid, then ignore it, tell that to Farmer, Feldhaus and Pelphrey and all of the other kids from Kentucky that played here.

What about Wall, Cousins, MKG, AD, KAT, Bam, Fox, Ulis, etc, etc, etc....that aren't from Kentucky yet loved and love UK as much or more than those guys??? They don't count for you?

Your KY born player narrative is stupid as hell.

Brain I know Willis wasn't as dedicated as he should have been his first two years, like I said there is always an exception to the rule. I still stick with what I said about Kentucky boys, generally speaking most of the time they are like I said. He did completely buy in and become successful though and maybe has an opportunity to play in the NBA.

Reactions: brianpoe
What about Wall, Cousins, MKG, AD, KAT, Bam, Fox, Ulis, etc, etc, etc....that aren't from Kentucky yet loved and love UK as much or more than those guys??? They don't count for you?

Your KY born player narrative is stupid as hell.
I didn't say they didn't love Kentucky, how do you know they did love Kentucky that much. I appreciate anybody who ever come here and played. We were talking about having one Kentucky player on the roster when this started and now you are taking this and running making it something it isn't. Cousins and Wall have said before they would have prolly went to Memphis or wherever Cal was, don't assume their love for Kentucky brought them here. You acting like you know what and how they feel is stupid as hell.

Most all of the Kentucky boys that have ever played here have said how special it was to play here growing up in the state. That along with every coach we have ever had and Cawood and other prominent people associated with the program have said the same thing about native sons.

Most all of the Kentucky boys that have ever played here have said how special it was to play here growing up in the state. That along with every coach we have ever had and Cawood and other prominent people associated with the program have said the same thing about native sons.

Really? You are proving to be an idiot.

You think these KY born players cared like you say they do?

Jared Carter, Derek Willis, Cory Sears, Antwain Barbour, Adam Chiles, Rondo

My recruiting philosophy is:

1)Is the kid at least an average athlete?
2)Does he have basic basketball skills, decent BBIQ?
3)Does he work hard to improve his game and the game of those around him?

I don't really care about him being from KY or him being a 5 star by some service. If he is one or both of those things, fine. If not, being a paper 5 star won't get you on my team. Being a "Kentucky boy" won't either.

That would have left some of our recruits off the team and/or saved us some transfers.

On a side note, I think the whole positionless thing has backfired a little. Cal spent until Feb "trying to figure out how each guy will play". No wonder we looked disorganized. It is amazing Cal did what he did this season given the challenge he set up for himself. I think he should recruit more traditionally and at least we will have a rhythm before the tournament...and I don't mean a weeks worth.

Really? You are proving to be an idiot.

You think these KY born players cared like you say they do?

Jared Carter, Derek Willis, Cory Sears, Antwain Barbour, Adam Chiles, Rondo
Keep it going dog, are you saying they don't, I'd say you are the idiot.

I certainly think Cal should give this guy a look. But he should and most certainly will recruit higher rated players to go along with him. I’ve already seen a quote by Tandy that he wants to have immediate playing time wherever he goes. That doesn’t sound very likely if he were to go to UK. Not every instate player thats good enough to get an offer is enamored with sitting on the bench and waiting for their opportunity to come.

I thought I read an article where Kyky stated he wanted to go to a program that would make him a priority and build the team around him. That ain't happening under Cal.

I would love to sign this kid, but would also hate to see him come here, be unhappy with his lack of playing time and transfer out after his Freshman season.

I will say though, until we can keep some kids around longer, we will continue to struggle to reach the elite level again. JMHO
Remember..."everybody eats"

I certainly think Cal should give this guy a look. But he should and most certainly will recruit higher rated playe\rs to go along with him. I’ve already seen a quote by Tandy that he wants to have immediate playing time wherever he goes. That doesn’t sound very likely if he were to go to UK. Not every instate player thats good enough to get an offer is enamored with sitting on the bench and waiting for their opportunity to come.
So you don't think this kid wants any competition for PT?

I'll take him, Ulis was treated way different than Willis was.

Please pass what you are puffing there because it must be powerful as can be to allow you to be so deluded that you think Willis was even in the vicinity of out working Ulis.

I guess you'd feel Carrier out hustled Chuck Hayes too?

Please pass what you are puffing there because it must be powerful as can be to allow you to be so deluded that you think Willis was even in the vicinity of out working Ulis.

I guess you'd feel Carrier out hustled Chuck Hayes too?
I didn't say I would take him over Ulis, I said I would take him because he was a Kentucky boy. How about you disappear and quit twisting what was said.

My recruiting philosophy is:

1)Is the kid at least an average athlete?
2)Does he have basic basketball skills, decent BBIQ?
3)Does he work hard to improve his game and the game of those around him?

I don't really care about him being from KY or him being a 5 star by some service. If he is one or both of those things, fine. If not, being a paper 5 star won't get you on my team. Being a "Kentucky boy" won't either.

That would have left some of our recruits off the team and/or saved us some transfers.

On a side note, I think the whole positionless thing has backfired a little. Cal spent until Feb "trying to figure out how each guy will play". No wonder we looked disorganized. It is amazing Cal did what he did this season given the challenge he set up for himself. I think he should recruit more traditionally and at least we will have a rhythm before the tournament...and I don't mean a weeks worth.
That recruiting philosophy would work really well in D2. In high level D1, you'd get your ass handed to you and be fired in about 3 seasons.

The vast majority of players recruited to the schools that win national championships are nationally known recruits (meaning 5 star or 4 star) with NBA aspirations. The guys playing major minutes for Villanova this year?

Phil Booth 4 star
Mikal Bridges 4 star
Jalen Brunson 5 star
Dante DiVincenzo 4 star
Omari Spellman 5 star
Eric Paschall, a transfer who put up 16 ppg as a FR at Fordham.

UNC last year?

Joel Berry 5 star
Justin Jackson 5 star
Theo Pinson 5 star
Isaiah Hicks 5 star
Kennedy Meeks 4 star
Tony Bradley 5 star

Look back at Villanova in 2016, Duke's roster for 15, UConn's for 14, UL's for 13, and UK's for 12, and you will find barely any major contributors who were below 4 star status coming out of HS.

People who like to pretend that HS ratings mean nothing seem to forget the last 2 seasons Tubby coached here, when UK appeared wildly undermanned every time they played a powerful opponent (Tubby's last game at UK being a perfect example).

If you think it's stupid, then ignore it, tell that to Farmer, Feldhaus and Pelphrey and all of the other kids from Kentucky that played here.

I agree that to most Kentucky kids, who grew up listening to Cawood, like those kids did, it was something special to play for UK. I am not sure that it is the same for this generation, and kids either have a will to win, or they don't. SGA is from Canada, which is as far removed from growing up in Kentucky as you can get, but, from all accounts, he worked harder, spent more time in the gym, and cared more about improving than anyone else. Don't get me wrong, I would take a couple of kids like Dom Hawkins, every year, but, just because a kid plays HS in Ky doesn't necessarily mean that he will work hard in the weight room, class room, be a good team mate, and leave it all on the floor. I think you can find that in whoever you recruit, if you just dig deep enough to find out how they are wired.

Reactions: katwest
I agree with that, but it would be nice to have a Kentucky player on the team, we are UK and have most always had one before. SGA did out work everybody and I would take 10 of him, when there is a good Kentucky boy available it would be nice to have him on the team if he is good enough and there have been several that have gotten away that could have played here. I think there is always one that could be here, if allowed to be.

Chris Mack was reportedly recruiting him pretty hard while at Xavier if we let Louisville sneak in and take him that would be a bitter pill to swallow.

Which high level recruits do you say no to?

BTW...

Sacha was not top 20.
Wenyen was not top 20 until he committed to us.
Green was not top 20.
Shai was not top 20.
Baker was not top 20.
Herro is not top 20.

So, I'm not sure what to tell you...?[/QUOTE

Don't believe I suggested we say "no" to anyone! Just look for a more complete mix of players, and players that don't have their sole motivation as getting to the NBA (yes, I know they all want to but doesn't have to be the only motivation).

Yeah, those players you listed werent top 20, but easily top 30. Not alot of difference but proves my point. They were some of the lower signees Cal has had and they were still top 30.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT