ADVERTISEMENT

KSR video on why UK basketball means so much

I still have that same 2012 champs shirt.

One thing that I think is the most important take away from this - it's ok to yell and get crazy about Kentucky basketball as long as you don't hurt someone. I don't think he means just physical harm, but emotional as well. Some people here could learn a little (or a lot) from that statement. Sometimes even me.

And yes, great video - finally something decent and non-sophomoric from the KSR crew.

One thing that I think is the most important take away from this - it's ok to yell and get crazy about Kentucky basketball as long as you don't hurt someone. I don't think he means just physical harm, but emotional as well. Some people here could learn a little from that statement.

And yes, great video - finally something decent and non-sophomoric from the KSR crew.
Ha, I have that shirt too!

My only regret is my mouth. Would never hurt anyone. I just curse way too much. I really need to work on that. But, other than that, no problem about being extremely passionate about UK basketball!

Ha, I have that shirt too!

My only regret is my mouth. Would never hurt anyone. I just curse way too much. I really need to work on that. But, other than that, no problem about being extremely passionate about UK basketball!
I've trimmed down my cussing a ton, mainly because I had kids and I didn't want them to grow up with a sailor's mouth (and I knew they'd hear plenty of it once middle school started). When they're not here, and I'm watching a game, though...well I admit it flows like a river!

But what I meant about emotionally hurting others is just the ugly insults around this message board. I would wager high money that most of the very nasty people that frequent this board - both the haters and the huggers - would never say some of the things to another fan's face that they spew on Rafters. I like to think most of y'all are nice Kentucky folk that understand the challenges with being a diehard, blue blood Kentucky fan. The challenge of loving them so much you hate a coach if he can't win, or the challenge of loving them so much you worry if a coaching change would be way worse than what we have now.

Either way, it's tough, and yes, Kentucky fandom can be challenging, especially lately. But is there really a reason to take it out on each other?

I DON'T understand being too hyped to watch. Could never do that. But I can construct an oath that would make a sailor blush.

Last edited:
Reactions: On-On-UK

One thing that I think is the most important take away from this - it's ok to yell and get crazy about Kentucky basketball as long as you don't hurt someone. I don't think he means just physical harm, but emotional as well. Some people here could learn a little (or a lot) from that statement. Sometimes even me.

Still have the shirt too and my we ain't in Bloomington anymore that I wore in ATL in 2012.😀

I have so many stories for every single big game growing up. I remember coming back from Spring break from St. Louis and pulling over on a dark road somewhere in Indiana, where the reception was just right so I could hear the end of us getting beat by North Carolina when we had Shep. After I didn't even want to drive home.

I can remember being in a bar in Richmond, Kentucky with my fraternity brothers when the comeback against LSU hsppened, lot more to that story, but you get thappened,

On Euclid Avenue at Speedy once the quarterback for UK when we beat Umass in the final 4, went to 2 keys. Catawampus was playing i believe. It was pure madness in the streets.

Fights with North Carolina fans in the Pyramid. The stories go on and on. There isn't enough page for me to keep going. I could literally write for hours. But that's just a taste. We all have our stories. We know where we were. Just a rich history that has provided so much.

I know so many of us get the saying, I bleed blue. Sometimes we're not that nice, sometimes not even to each other. It can be a lot. But we are all part of something bigger, one single cord through the Bluegrass that binds us.

Especially the tourney. You just feel more alive while the Cats are "still alive". Devastated....for about a day, when they lose. Then I usually go on a watch the rest of the tourney.

I don’t get the not being able to watch. If work or something else gets in the way of watching, it makes me crazy. It makes me feel like it’s my fault if we don’t win, which is nuts for multiple reasons.
In 96, I was at WKU working on my Masters, but I would have to get my PhD at another school. My advisor said she could get me into Vandy.
The first weekend in April, there was a conference in Birmingham for students to present their research. Late Saturday afternoon, my advisor was excited to tell me that she had arranged for me to have dinner with Vanderbilt’s department head. But there was a problem. It was the first Saturday in April. UK vs UMass.
I asked if we’d be watching the game. She said “No”. I said, “We’ll have to look at getting together some other time”.
I never went to Vandy. Never got my PhD. UK won that game and went on to win the Championship. I wouldn’t change a thing.

My 37 year old son recently told me that the first time he ever heard the "F" word was when he was a child and I was watching a UK game. My kids had heard me use "cuss" words before, but I never dropped an the F-bomb in their presence.

However, during a late night game when he was in bed, Kentucky lost on a last second shot and I let out a loud and depressing (and I'm paraphrasing), "Well, Mother Fletcher".

Reactions: mcwildcats04

I have the 2015 31-0 not done shirt. And a few vintage 1996 and 1998 champs shirts. Love em all.

Reactions: TheDude73
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT