ADVERTISEMENT

Kobe as new NBA logo?

She refused to testify because of the money, the death threats, and the pressure of having to go through with a trial and everything that would have come with that. They were in essence, calling her a crazy slut.
Part of that medical evidence was that she banged somebody else between Kobe and going to the police.

Reactions: anon_hvdd36eg5u05l
She refused to testify because of the money, the death threats, and the pressure of having to go through with a trial and everything that would have come with that. They were in essence, calling her a crazy slut.

She refused to testify and the case was dismissed in September 2004. Kobe didn’t agree to pay any money until March 2005.

I couldn't imagine ever having to give someone money and issue an apology to them over something I didn't do. Defies logic.

I could imagine an all-world basketball player paying someone off to save their ass from facing criminal prosecution.

Meh. Logic. Who needs it. Just tell your own narrative.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/kobe-...ce-the-accusers-story-and-the-half-confession

This comment always sticks out. “She wasn’t that attractive,” said Bryant. As if he were doing her a favor by having sex with her.

People pay out civil claims *all the time* for things they don’t believe they did. Especially companies and millionaires that have the resources to do so. Just from an economic/business perspective, it makes perfect sense to settle a case for $100,000 and avoid the risk of a crazy jury awarding 10 million. You can’t start throwing out what makes sense from a logical perspective if you don’t recognize this.

Can you cite any source for that?

n August 2004, the accuser filed a civil lawsuit against Bryant over the incident.[22] In March 2005, the two parties settled that lawsuit. The terms of the settlement were not disclosed to the public.[23] The Los Angeles Times reported that legal experts estimated the settlement was more than $2.5 million.[24]

-They didn't just wake up one day and say, Hey, 2.4 million we got a deal. You can believe what you want, but Ive been through a civil lawsuit. We didn't just start negotiating payment(s) the same day we agreed to everything.

n August 2004, the accuser filed a civil lawsuit against Bryant over the incident.[22] In March 2005, the two parties settled that lawsuit. The terms of the settlement were not disclosed to the public.[23] The Los Angeles Times reported that legal experts estimated the settlement was more than $2.5 million.[24]

-They didn't just wake up one day and say, Hey, 2.4 million we got a deal. You can believe what you want, but Ive been through a civil lawsuit. We didn't just start negotiating payment(s) the same day we agreed to everything.

Well, I’m a civil litigation lawyer, so you could say I’ve been through a couple myself. Saying that Kobe paid her to dismiss the criminal case is just you guessing. And it’s not accurate to say that she was truthful about her claim. She admitted that she lied.

People pay out civil claims *all the time* for things they don’t believe they did. Especially companies and millionaires that have the resources to do so. Just from an economic/business perspective, it makes perfect sense to settle a case for $100,000 and avoid the risk of a crazy jury awarding 10 million. You can’t start throwing out what makes sense from a logical perspective if you don’t recognize this.

What's easy and can make people "go away" doesn't make a company innocent or mean that they don't think they did nothing wrong. They do so because they know most people will go away with a big chunk of money. Or they know they don't have to give money because they'll just "bury" people with their resources.

Reactions: JesusCal91
Well, I’m a civil litigation lawyer, so you could say I’ve been through a couple myself. Saying that Kobe paid her to dismiss the criminal case is just you guessing. And it’s not accurate to say that she was truthful about her claim. She admitted that she lied.

She didn't admit she lied about the rape. She admitted she lied about why she was late for work and where she cleaned her face.

What's easy and can make people "go away" doesn't make a company innocent or mean that they don't think they did nothing wrong. They do so because they know most people will go away with a big chunk of money. Or they know they don't have to give money because they'll just "bury" people with their resources.

Not all companies/people that settle are innocent, but the opposite is just as true: not all companies that settle are guilty.

shaq_v2.png
I swear i was just thinking this!

She didn't admit she lied about the rape. She admitted she lied about why she was late for work and where she cleaned her face.

Um lying and saying that Kobe forced her to wash her face is a pretty massive detail to lie about. By that measure, Kobe never “lied about the rape” either. He lied about having consensual sex with her.

Reactions: Nubb16

It's my guess based off of Kobe's own words to a police officer. What can I do to make this go away.

Is there any way I can settle this whatever it is, I mean…?” asked Bryant. “If my wife, if my wife found out that anybody made any type of allegations against me, she would be infuriated.”

Um lying and saying that Kobe forced her to wash her face is a pretty massive detail to lie about. By that measure, Kobe never “lied about the rape” either. He lied about having consensual sex with her.

He lied about having sex with her period. She lied about cleaning up her face.

hen police informed him that the accuser had submitted to a physical exam and they’d taken semen and blood evidence from her person, Bryant admitted that the two had sex. “Uh, this is what I need to know because uh, I did have sexual intercourse with her,” said Bryant, adding, “It was totally consensual.”

The officers then asked Bryant, “Did you ever ask her if you wanted, if you could cum in her face?” “Yes,” Bryant replied, adding, “That’s when she said no. That’s when she said no. That’s when she said no.”

Bryant contended that the woman gave him oral sex for approximately “five seconds” prior to the sex, and that everything was “consensual.”

At one point, when police described the accuser as “attractive,” Bryant corrected them. “She wasn’t that attractive,” said Bryant. Then, when officers asked him about “finishing,” he replied, “I didn’t finish a ****ing thing,” adding, “I jerked off when she left.” When asked by officers if he’d ever cheated on his wife before, Bryant replied, “Um, yes, with one other person. And she could actually testify I do that um, I do the same thing, I hold her from the back, I put my hands (inaudible).”

Police then inform Bryant that the accuser “has a bruise on her neck,” to which he replied, “Yeah I mean that’s you know me and Michelle, that’s what we, we do the same thing,” said Bryant. When officers ask Bryant how often he has sex with “Michelle,” he replies, “A lot.

redacted] if he ejaculated later. Bryant stated he did,” read Det. Winters’ report. “We asked Bryant where did he ejaculate. He stated he ejaculated onto a white T-shirt after [redacted] left. We asked Bryant if we could have that T-shirt. He agreed. I remember Detective Loya following Bryant into Bryant’s room and I followed them. I did not see where Bryant got the T-shirt from. However, Bryant stated that the T-shirt he was holding was the T-shirt he ejaculated into. He then threw the T-shirt at me. I told Bryant not to throw it at me because I would come pick it up in a safe location. I caught the T-shirt around the neck region. Bryant told me he didn’t ‘shoot it’ that far up. Meaning he didn’t ejaculate that far up the T-shirt.”

And in another supplemental report in Bryant’s case file, he chose to invoke Shaquille O’Neal’s name during the investigation—for reasons unclear.

According to the police report, while he was being questioned by the officers about the alleged sexual assault, Bryant said, “I should have done what Shaq does,” adding, “Shaq gives them money or buys them cars, he has already spent one million dollars.” The report added, “Kobe stated that Shaq does this to keep the girls quiet.”

He lied about having sex with her period. She lied about cleaning up her face.

she lied about Bryant forcing her to clean up her face before allowing her to leave. One of her claims was false imprisonment. Lying about the circumstances under which a person permitted you to leave a confined area is a pretty major deal. The fact that Bryant also lied doesn’t change the fact she too lied.

I'm done talking about this. A rich man got away with rape. He cheated on his wife multiple times. Yet, he wouldn't lie about rape? Yet he denied the sex until he knew they knew he had sex. He paid out money. Wondered what he could do to make it all go away. Wrote an apology. Money, power, and fame rule the day. She was a 19-yr old who had some issues. Easy to brush her to the side so the reality of what Kobe Bryant was at that time can be ignored.

Reactions: nssdigitalchumps
I just wanted to post knee jerk reaction since it’s not been said yet

I'm done talking about this. A rich man got away with rape. He cheated on his wife multiple times. Yet, he wouldn't lie about rape? Yet he denied the sex until he knew they knew he had sex. He paid out money. Wondered what he could do to make it all go away. Wrote an apology. Money, power, and fame rule the day. She was a 19-yr old who had some issues. Easy to brush her to the side so the reality of what Kobe Bryant was at that time can be ignored.

Okay. You’re not really making good arguments so it’s not really worth talking about any more anyways. Have a nice life.

Okay. You’re not really making good arguments so it’s not really worth talking about any more anyways. Have a nice life.

According to the accuser, Bryant put his body between her and the door. “I try and walk to the side, and he would walk to the side with me. And that’s when he started to put his hands on my neck,” she said, adding, “He was groping me, I tried to leave, tried to break away, that’s when he grabbed my neck. And at that point I was just looking at him, didn’t know what to do, didn’t know what to say.”

“Then he held me by my neck and physically forced me over to the side of the couch,” she continued. “That’s when he continually had one hand around my neck and with his other hand pushed me over to the side of the two chairs um, turned me around and bent me over and lifted up my skirt.” She told police that “at that point I was just kinda scared and I said no a few times,” adding she said no “when he lifted up my skirt” and again “when he took off my underwear.”

When asked by police how she knew Bryant had heard her, she replied, “Because every time I said no he tightened his hold around me.”

That girl got herself dragged through the mud.

USA Today and VICE have some good articles on this.

Did Roberto Clemente retire from baseball? No, he got killed shortly after his most recent season and while performing humanitarian work for central Americans. Clemente had more baseball stats to compile, and it takes more than one or two really good players on an MLB team to make a deep run through the post season. So while Clemente's shortened MLB career leaves him shy of the equivalent of Kobe, just know that basketball is very shy of being the equivalent of baseball. Shame on you for using Bryant's tragedy as an attempt to devalue to life and legacy of the great Roberto Clemente. He is mourned to this day, 1/2 a century later.
If you read that as a devaluing of his life you are a complete dumb ass.

The NBA players are collectively awful. They are elitist and hypocritical, and only seem to care about their own.

In baseball, when this sort of thing happens, pitchers will write the name of the player or jersey number on the mound and play baseball. Basketball players taking knees, turning the ball over, losing possessions ect.....it's just...

I hated Kobe as a player but respected him as he retired. He's the last of the Alpha old school type and will be missed. But there's too much hypocrisy coming from the NBA to take any of this serious

there was nothing about Kobe to be respected. I feel a lot more sorry for his daughter and anyone else who lost their lives than him in spades

1. Never found guilty of rape or sexual so you should think before you speak.

2. Yes he made an error in judgement and committed adultery...terrible, agreed and something I wouldn't do and don't codone. But his wife also forgave him and by all accounts he redeemed himself.

A man should never be permanently judged by their worst moment...

Rape should carry a guaranteed life sentence if not the death penalty

Reactions: HagginHall1999
No because rape isn't a sexual thing really it's about power so just lock the guy up and be done with it

Yes, but in men it takes away the main "instrument" they use. Obviosuly there would be ways around that, but if they are already in prison for life after the first time it happens there won't be a second. Sort of like an extra punishment.

There’s a shit load of theories and injection of personal emotion/opinion in this thread we may as well start throwing in talk about alien coverups from the US government as well. No one here will ever get the full facts of the case. I highly doubt any of you have studied case law either.

The idea that those with money are freed from consequences of crime is not incorrect. But confirmation bias doesn’t validate opinion one way or the other. Civil Cases are not direct indictments of wrong doing. Those unfamiliar with the law just need to get that out of their head.

Kobe may have been fully at fault. He may not have been. I will never know the answer. I’m at peace with that idea seeing him be a good father and an amazing basketball player being what I remember of him, and being of what directs my memories of him. Others may not be able to get over the potentially sinister possibilities. Neither opinion is truly invalid because none of us truly know. Full. Effing. Stop.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_hvdd36eg5u05l
I don't have any rooting interest in the NBA.. I don't get heated about Kobe, LeBron, whatever.

But I don't get how considering a massive honor for a top 5 player of all time dying at 41 is knee-jerk.

Especially given Jerry's position.

There are definitely arguments against it, and I think the best one is that the SJWs will have a field day because of those allegations (not to diminish the nature of the claim, but I find the details highly suspect).

I'm the furthest thing from a sjw. It seemed pretty obvious to me Kobe raped her and she was bullied and paid into dropping it

Reactions: crawfords corner
I'm the furthest thing from a sjw. It seemed pretty obvious to me Kobe raped her and she was bullied and paid into dropping it

I don’t think it’s obvious one way or the other. She apparently had mental health issues, she admitted she lied about Kobe forcing her to wash her face, a witness who saw her afterwards said she didn’t look like anything was wrong, she showed up to her exam and they found a different person’s evidence in her panties. Now there’s plenty of evidence on the other side to point towards guilt. I think he’s mostly likely guilty, but I don’t see it being obvious either way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT