ADVERTISEMENT

Kerry Blackshear Jr. is a GOOD kid

May 30, 2019
Hi guys, long time reader, first time poster. Found this message board halfway into this past season, and have loved all the opinions. Honestly, didn't realize you could post content under the "free" option (thought it was read-only), so I'm happy to be here!

Anyway, I'm a lifelong CATS fan. While I certainly am NOT an insider, and have zero idea where Blackshear is headed, I was a local TV sports reporter in Roanoke VA in a past life before returning to Lexington early 2018. I would get to interview Kerry on a somewhat weekly basis for nearly three seasons, covering most of the VT basketball games in a given season (one of those he was injured, so not as much that season). I'm happy to say he was always extremely respectful, very well spoken, you could tell he really loved playing the game, had a quieter demeanor, and seemed to be just an all around good kid.

One thing I love about most of our guys that play here at UK, is the fact that they truly seem like good young men. I think Cal does a great job of pushing them to give up their own agendas on the court, and gives them plenty of opportunities to give back to those less fortunate off the court. I think KJ would fit every mold that we like to see from our players at UK, and selfishly, it would be really cool to see him in a Kentucky uniform after getting to see him up close back in Blacksburg.

Hi guys, long time reader, first time poster. Found this message board halfway into this past season, and have loved all the opinions. Honestly, didn't realize you could post content under the "free" option (thought it was read-only), so I'm happy to be here!

Anyway, I'm a lifelong CATS fan. While I certainly am NOT an insider, and have zero idea where Blackshear is headed, I was a local TV sports reporter in Roanoke VA in a past life before returning to Lexington early 2018. I would get to interview Kerry on a somewhat weekly basis for nearly three seasons, covering most of the VT basketball games in a given season (one of those he was injured, so not as much that season). I'm happy to say he was always extremely respectful, very well spoken, you could tell he really loved playing the game, had a quieter demeanor, and seemed to be just an all around good kid.

One thing I love about most of our guys that play here at UK, is the fact that they truly seem like good young men. I think Cal does a great job of pushing them to give up their own agendas on the court, and gives them plenty of opportunities to give back to those less fortunate off the court. I think KJ would fit every mold that we like to see from our players at UK, and selfishly, it would be really cool to see him in a Kentucky uniform after getting to see him up close back in Blacksburg.
You are right. For the most part the kids Cal has brought to UK are really, really good young men.

Sounds like a close comparison to Reid Travis. If he is similarly intelligent as well, Kentucky is a lock.

Welcome!

Reactions: BBUK

Father of two Hokies and now a UK Wildcat. Fingers crossed for KB landing in Lexington. Thanks for posting!

One thing I can tell you about Cal is that sometimes on the in-home visits he can tell in 5 minutes time whether to waste any more time. It's all about the respect a kid shows his parents in some cases a single parent. I can guarantee you that Cal would not be wasting his time if he didn't know the Blackshear family. good people good son

Haha wow... It's certainly a small world isn't it! Good to (see) you again!

It is a small world. I met a poster several months ago I used to play little League baseball against....in Michigan. I am 57 years old.

Also met a poster who knew my younger brother who died several months ago.

@JC43

It is amazing but, "Its comforting..."

Last edited:
Reactions: uky8unc5
57? I have shoes older than you!
You're still a young feller (as "The DUKE" would say)

Yeah, how young I am... I laugh at my own self. My birthday is in July and I have been telling people I am 58 up until a month or so ago. I was born in 61 and FINALLY did the math.

Sometimes I don't have the sense God gave a goose. Thanks though, I keep telling people I can do everything I used to do,....just not as long. My kids keep trying to "take care of me". I probably get more angry at them for that one thing than anything they do. I have some decent children and I am thankful but DANG, I don't have one foot in the grave....(I hope...)

I told my youngest who is 28 just yesterday when she was commenting on my short shorts swim shorts. I stated; "These shorts are older than you, shut up...punk." [laughing]

Last edited:
...and the jailhawks were just eliminated (for the second time this week) from consideration.

They need to start copying Barnes' mantra and withdraw their name from consideration. Hey, it worked for K when he started copying Cal.

Reactions: flacat22
One thing I can tell you about Cal is that sometimes on the in-home visits he can tell in 5 minutes time whether to waste any more time. It's all about the respect a kid shows his parents in some cases a single parent. I can guarantee you that Cal would not be wasting his time if he didn't know the Blackshear family. good people good son

"I knew there was something about that guy..."

(I was in a movie theater on Fort Bragg watching as a Spec 4 when Rambo came out. The audience roared when someone stated in the movie that those Special Forces are real bad-asses. Then the "I knew there was something about that guy" comment. I will never forget it.)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT