ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky vs Clemson. ACC vs SEC challenge

Like it or not, there is no way ESPN would send a Cal coached UK team to Clemson, but the pickings were slim since we play Duke & UL earlier in the season.
Yeah, I don't see us going to Clemson if Cal was still here. It looks like ESPN really wanted that Bama/UNC Elite Eight rematch, but with both teams playing at home last season, someone had to go on the road for it to work.

Never would have guessed in a million years that there would be a world where Alabama and Auburn were two of the top dogs in the SEC. It’s remarkable what Oats and Pearl have done to those programs

Link for Clemson roster next year. Looks like they lose their top two scorers. Brought in 5 transfers but I’m not sure how good they will be. I don’t see much hype about Clemson next year, but in this era it’s hard to gauge how good a team will be.

Outside of UK fans there isn't much hype about our team either. Is that warranted? Only time will tell but it's due to a few things IMO. First thing is the lack of performance over the last 4-5 years under Cal and the recency bias that comes with it. That is the same reason UConn is a top 3 team and projected 1 seed come tournament time despite losing a lot of players and replacing them with inferior talent. Second is the uncertainty of how Pope can do on the biggest stage. He has yet to show he can win in the tournament and this will be his opportunity to show he can. Third is the lack of "big name" players on this roster. This is the best team we've had in quite some time to combine age, talent, experience and defensive ability but they just don't have that name that grabs the media's attention like a Wall, KAT or MKG.

Yeah, I don't see us going to Clemson if Cal was still here. It looks like ESPN really wanted that Bama/UNC Elite Eight rematch, but with both teams playing at home last season, someone had to go on the road for it to work.
If UK has to be down then I am glad Auburn and Bama have been the ones to take the top spots. UT has had possibly the best run in program history and still is no better than 3rd or 4th in the SEC. That has to burn their fans up and it makes me happy. 😂

Reactions: billCgmx
Never would have guessed in a million years that there would be a world where Alabama and Auburn were two of the top dogs in the SEC. It’s remarkable what Oats and Pearl have done to those programs

We are in current series with both Duke and UNC. It's going to be hard to get those games worked out.

We absolutely need to destroy them.
This coming from someone with a football avatar. That tells you all you need to know about Clemson. A football school with a blip of basketball success suddenly talking basketball smack, while the blueblood is questioning the validity of the matchup. That tells you all you need to know.

I can understand he frustration with the the opponent and it being away.

Here's a take we used to have on this board.

We. ARE. UK!

Who cares who we play and where. Our mindset as a fan base should be, we gonna win by 90 baby.

This was the mentality under Pitino as a whole, I'm sure. Pope is a Pitino guy. He wants to beat the living crap out of every one.

And we should echo that sentiment.

Well in order for that to happen, there would need to be an equal number of SEC teams, unless four SEC teams get two games in the challenge

Just for grins and giggles, maybe the SEC should invite Oregon State and Washington State to join.

Or maybe not.

I know we got fans complaining about this and I really have no idea why. We played Clemson to kick off the 1997 season (lost) and they had a good run last season. I like playing someone new. Who else would you have wanted to play? Already have Duke. Played UNC constantly.

I'm good with Clemson. I would like to play Florida St at home next year with Leonard Hamilton still there. NC State would also be good as would Syracuse. That's about it if they aren't going to give us UNC or Duke.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT