ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky v. Missouri

Comebakatz3

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2008
Kentucky takes on the Tigers this weekend. Missouri has not been a good baseball team since joining the SEC and that continues to hold true this year as they are dead last in the league with a 4-8 record and are one game below .500 overall on the season. Still, the Cats won't have an easy task as Chandler Shepherd is on the injury list with a lacerated forearm. Dylan Dwyer will take his place as the Saturday starter. That means that UK now has two entirely different weekend starters than what we protected to have at the beginning of the year. Injuries have certainly hurt an already young pitching rotation. Still, the Cats should be favored and really need to take this weekend in order to stay above the pace in the race for Hoover. First pitch is 6:30 tonight and A.J. Reed will be on the mound.

And again the offense will have to outscore what the bullpen gives up.

Our bullpen is a joke, score 5 runs in the 7th to lead 7-5, and the Bullpen gives 3 right back. PATHETIC !

We had to have this have. With two inexperienced pitchers on the mound the next two days we will struggle to win the next two to take the series. Better bounce back or we will be in trouble in the SEC standings.

We ended up losing 8-7. Tonight's game is at 7:00 pm on Fox Sports South.

That's the second time I've seen the batter get hit by a pitch and the umpire not give him first base for not getting out of the way of the ball. Both against UK in the last few games. I think the call in this game was actually correct. He actually kind of pushed his upper arm into the ball.

AJ Reed homers to right center to score Max Kuhn and give UK a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the 5th.

Thomas singled and Tom followed it up with a double to plate Thomas and extend the UK lead to 3-0. Going to the 6th now.

Originally posted by CATS1945:
Is the game on TV? Supposed to be Fox South but can't find it
I'm in Tennessee and on Charter they were playing the Ole Miss/MSU game on Sports South. Once that ended they cut away to the UK game for a split second before turning on the Hawks game. Pretty frustrating.

Anyway, Cousino threw out a Missouri runner at home to get the last out in the top of the 6th. We were in some trouble had he not made that play. Missouri would have had at least runners on the corners down just 3-1, but instead we keep the lead at 3-0.

Originally posted by CATS1945:
Is the game on TV? Supposed to be Fox South but can't find it
I'm watching it on there now. I'm not sure if the Reed HR broke the NCAA or SEC record for consecutive games with an HR. It's 5 in a row for whatever record it is. They originally said NCAA and later said only counting SEC games.

UK puts up 2 more runs in the bottom of the 6th. Wilson started the game with a double. Bernal singled and advanced all the way to third on an error, scoring Wilson. Reida singled and Shelby reached on an error on a sac bunt and both advanced an extra base on the error. Cousino struck out swinging. Kuhn doubled and scored both Reida and Shelby to give UK a 7-0 lead. Reed was then intentionally walked and Thomas hit a single to score Kuhn to make it 8-0 UK. After a pitching change Tom doubled to score Reed and give UK the 9-0 lead. UK bats around and Wilson gets on for the second time in the inning when he is hit by a pitch. Missouri changed pitchers again and Bernal singled through the left side to plate Thomas and Tom and give UK the 11-0 lead. A wild pitch advanced Wilson and Bernal to second and third. Reida lined out but it was deep enough to score Wilson from third and move Bernal up a base. Shelby struck out looking, but the damage was definitely done!

12-0 UK!!

This post was edited on 4/12 9:34 PM by Comebakatz3

Maybe we will not have to worry about the bullpen tonight, with a 12-0 lead. Dwyer out after 6 and 1/3 innings, he was fabulous tonight. Salow comes in and gets a double play to end the inning.

A couple of very serviceable innings from the bullpen, not perfect, but got the job done. They've maintained the shutout.

Originally posted by Old_Red:
A couple of very serviceable innings from the bullpen, not perfect, but got the job done. They've maintained the shutout.
They haven't given up a hit yet. That is pretty solid in my opinion. Of course, these aren't the games that really make the difference. It is the ones that are close that they need to step up. Just 3 more outs and the series will be even.

Final score UK 12 Mizzou 0, Cats explode in the middle innings. Dwyer was outstanding, now we need to win tomorrow and take the series !

I hope they have another offensive show like this tomorrow. The bullpen being so young got some innings in without the pressure of a close game. Maybe they'll get some confidence. A lot of subs got onto the field which is always good for morale.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT