ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky v. Missouri (Game 3)

The UK bats come out and answer the Tigers. Reida started the bottom of the third with a single. Shelby struck out before Cousino singled to left field. Kuhn then hit a double that scored both Reida and Cousino to tie the game back up 2-2. Reed struck out before Thomas singled through the left side to put runners on the corners. Tom grounded out to second to end the threat.

2-2 going to the top of the 4th inning.

Nelson gave up a single and then got a double play to start the 4th, but then he gave up a walk and hit a batter before giving up a single that scored a run and gave the lead back to Missouri.

3-2 Mizzou

Cats really dodged a bullet in the bottom of the fifth when Nelson gave up back to back singles. The Tigers bunted those two players over to second and third for the first out of the inning. UK intentionally walked the next better and got the inning ending double play to end the threat.

Not sure Nelson needs to go much longer.

3-2 Tigers.

Cousino got a one out single in the 5th, and then stole second before Reed hit him in to tie the game 3-3.

In the 6th Nelson gave up a double and two singles to give the lead back to the Tigers. 4-3.

Cats trailed 4-3 late in the game, and gave up 4 runs courtesy of horrendous fielding. Cats committed 5 costly errors, 4 of which were on routind plays where the throw was awful. Fundamentaly the Cats seem to be lacking, I am sure they work on that, but it always bites them in the butt at the worst time it seems.
Mizzou wins 8-3 and takes the series, a damaging series loss IMO.

Yea and Henderson has to go. The man can recruit and coach fundamentals but when it comes to managing a game he just has no feel for it. Problem being he got his extension before last year and so we are probably stuck with him through the end of next year.

I truly expect the wheels to fall of for the remainder of this season.

Terrible. Just freaking terrible. We lost 3 times this week to teams with records under .500. These are the series we have to have and our team blew it. If we fail to make the SEC tournament (which isn't likely, but definitely possible) then Henderson should be fired. There is no excuse for getting the results out of the talent he has.

The facts are that we have no third basemen, Why does Henderson continue to play Kuhn at third. He should be at DH.
Reida is the other hole on this team. Does not field in the clutch, I can count about 4 games lost in the late innings due to miscues at third or shortstop. This team will not win half their SEC games because they just can't stand prosperity and continuely cough up games to inferior teams.

Reida has been very frustrating this year. Usually good defense somewhat makes up for his lack of a bat, but this year that hasn't been the case. Would like to just see us go ahead and turn the position over to Heady.

Originally posted by Gabewcat:
The facts are that we have no third basemen, Why does Henderson continue to play Kuhn at third. He should be at DH.
Reida is the other hole on this team. Does not field in the clutch, I can count about 4 games lost in the late innings due to miscues at third or shortstop. This team will not win half their SEC games because they just can't stand prosperity and continuely cough up games to inferior teams.
Looking at the season stats, Kuhn has committed 18 errors, and Reida 12 this season. That is 30 errors thru 36 games from our left side of the infield, 3b and ss. That is atrocious fielding in a league as tough as the SEC.
Why not swith Bernal and Kuhn's positions and give that a try, agree with comeback that maybe Heady should get a few games at shortstop, can't really hurt, he will be there the next 2 years anyway !

Reida is the other hole on this team.[/I] Does not field in the clutch, I can count about 4 games lost in the late innings due to miscues at third or shortstop. This team will not win half their SEC games because they just can't stand prosperity and continuely cough up games to inferior teams.
I observed the same thing when I got the chance to watch them at ODU earlier this year. And I posted my thoughts on here FWIW. Two years ago when we had that awesome season it was due a lot to the fact that our combination up the middle had great range and took so many hits away. Not so this year.

Originally posted by jhammons:

Reida is the other hole on this team.[/I] Does not field in the clutch, I can count about 4 games lost in the late innings due to miscues at third or shortstop. This team will not win half their SEC games because they just can't stand prosperity and continuely cough up games to inferior teams.

I observed the same thing when I got the chance to watch them at ODU earlier this year. And I posted my thoughts on here FWIW. Two years ago when we had that awesome season it was due a lot to the fact that our combination up the middle had great range and took so many hits away. Not so this year.
Reida has never really impressed me at short. He seems more like a second baseman to me. He has a decent arm, but he really has to put a lot of effort into his throw to get it across the diamond.

In terms of Kuhn, at this point he has done so poorly defensively that we have to move him to DH. I mean, 16 errors is atrocious at this point in the season. Looking back, since 2010 no one on UK's team committed 16 errors in an entire season, much less a little over half the season. Try him at first base on Fridays and every other day put Bernal at third and Reed at first. I know he has a great arm, but he has to get it under control in order to be effective.

We play Louisville tonight. It is a must win in my book. We have to right the ship after a terrible week last week and getting a win on the road against a top 25 team, and a sweep of that team, would be big time in helping our RPI and helping us get into the tournament. By the way, we have the 4th hardest schedule in college baseball and we're currently ranked 14th in RPI.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT