ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky hires John Welch as an assistant

Can someone clarify if he is replacing KT Turner? Or do we still have an open position on the staff? I.e. the rumors of Rondo joining the staff as a grad assistant haven’t been mentioned in a while. There’s also the rumblings of Bruiser moving on or being re-assigned again.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I am fired up by this one.

FINALLY, a new offensive strategy will come our way, with NBA origins.

What does that mean?

Floor spacing, 3s and layups, lots of quick hitters, etc.

Love this hire and love the idea of handing the keys to the offense over to Welch.

Hope that it reminds me of when Bob Stoops hired Lincoln Riley as Offensive Coordinator in Norman. Bob Stoops was on the major hot seat, was mediocre at the time (sound familiar), fans wanted him out, etc.

THEN, he hires Lincoln Riley as the OC, hands him the keys to the offense, and Oklahoma had the #1 offense in college football for 4 straight years including 3 Heisman Trophy winners.

All because Bob Stoops put his ego aside and said, "I need to change". Hope that is what Cal is doing with this move.

Can someone clarify if he is replacing KT Turner? Or do we still have an open position on the staff? I.e. the rumors of Rondo joining the staff as a grad assistant haven’t been mentioned in a while. There’s also the rumblings of Bruiser moving on or being re-assigned again.
With Welch coming aboard. I don’t know I would keep Coleman, Orlando, Ulis, Welch and wipe the rest of the staff completely out!

I believe he's seen as the fellow who will fill the role we had with John Robic. Good and greatly needed hire.

This is Cal's best hire since adding Payne to staff in his 2nd year at UK. Timing wise and with what needs to change it's a far more important hire too.

Welch has forgotten more basketball than most know and he's going to be a huge positive addition.
We needed a coach with knowledge of the NBA offenses.

Last edited:
Wonder if he knows any out of bounds plays??? Maybe Cal can teach him that clever over the shoulder one we use 99% of the time, or the one when we have it on the sideline with 3-4 seconds left on the shotclock and you run the play for the center to get the ball 35 ft from the basket.

I am fired up by this one.

FINALLY, a new offensive strategy will come our way, with NBA origins.

What does that mean?

Floor spacing, 3s and layups, lots of quick hitters, etc.

Love this hire and love the idea of handing the keys to the offense over to Welch.

Hope that it reminds me of when Bob Stoops hired Lincoln Riley as Offensive Coordinator in Norman. Bob Stoops was on the major hot seat, was mediocre at the time (sound familiar), fans wanted him out, etc.

THEN, he hires Lincoln Riley as the OC, hands him the keys to the offense, and Oklahoma had the #1 offense in college football for 4 straight years including 3 Heisman Trophy winners.

All because Bob Stoops put his ego aside and said, "I need to change". Hope that is what Cal is doing with this move.

We hope, and I'm optimistic, too.. But I still have my doubts Cal will listen, and I still have my doubts that this assistant won't be anything more than another guy on the bench.

But it does seem like a step in the right direction.

Reactions: Blisterpac
If he is an actual teacher of skills and on court play....then much needed. He need a technical teaching aspect to the bench...now if Cal actually let's this guy coach is another thing.
He is supposed to be one of the best at teaching skills.
And I find the most interesting part of that statement "heavily involved in our offensive strategy". I think this is Cal getting the offensive coordinator that he wanted, but getting him as part of a coaching package (that & player development).
To me, this could be as big as any one player signee.

He is supposed to be one of the best at teaching skills.
And I find the most interesting part of that statement "heavily involved in our offensive strategy". I think this is Cal getting the offensive coordinator that he wanted, but getting him as part of a coaching package (that & player development).
To me, this could be as big as any one player signee.
Maybe (maybe wishful thinking) this is similar to the Coen hire in 2021 when Stoops realized to get with the times, he had to change his offensive philosophy. One can only hope.

I can only imagine he is here to be mentored in the Run Go Run offense. I don’t see Cal letting him run it but if he does Great!

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Couldn't agree more. Just hope Cal lets him take the reigns and is not a dictator.
you know that is not going to happen.........
that would be equivalent to ccc admitting that he has been wrong all of these years & that the fans knew he was wrong. NO WAY he is going to let that happen. Hopefully, this guy isn't just another puppet, but I would not be surprised. The offensive scheme has been horrible. Maybe Welch can even develop a scoring threat in bounds play

This is Cal's best hire since adding Payne to staff in his 2nd year at UK. Timing wise and with what needs to change it's a far more important hire too.

Welch has forgotten more basketball than most know and he's going to be a huge positive addition.
he can only be effective if he is not restricted

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT