ADVERTISEMENT

Football Kentucky has to hammer the portal this offseason

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
Just editorializing here for a moment. In my opinion, this is what Kentucky is going to need from the portal. Not in order of importance, just a list:

1) A starting quarterback - Leary's eligibility is up after this year. Boley is a true frosh. Maybe he comes in and sets the world on fire but you go get a portal QB without question. These guys command a lot of money so a sizeable portion of your NIL pot is coming from here.

2) A starting running back if Ray Davis doesn't return - Absolutely no offense intended to the guys still projected to be on the roster but K3entucky needs a guy who can carry the load next year if Ray Davis doesn't return. Ray has been really good for them this year. They'll need someone on that level next season.

3) Wide Receiver depth - I don't know that they have to go get starter(s) from the portal but I would anticipate they bring in someone to offset the loss of T Robinson. Of course the WRs have not been a strength this year. They've been up and down at best. I think you can bank on some improvement for sure and there will be more depth because of guys getting older and the guys committed but watch the Tenn/Mizzou game today.

4) At least one interior OL - If Marques Cox doesn't return they probably need to bring in another tackle who can at least compete for a spot but they definitely need an iOL in my view with Horsey leaving. Doesn't have to be someone you pencil in as a starter automatically but some depth at least.

5) OLB - With Weaver leaving and the obvious question about Keaten with the Wade mom making some comments online, and the lack of a pass rush this year, you have to imagine this is a top priority. They have to have some pass rushers. I could see them bringing in a couple of guys in that effort. Just based on sheer numbers maybe one or two of the frosh 'backers could contribute but I think OLB is one of the biggest priorities of the whole offseason. The lack of an edge rush threat affects every other part of the defense for ill.

6) Safety - Going to need at least one safety who is capable of coming in and competing for a starting job.

7) Punter - Hasn't been good enough the last several weeks and has had a real impact on the overall operation re: field position.

Could also see them targeting some defensive line help, but I think those are the areas where you just have to plan on searching for portal upgrades. It will be interesting to see if they have the NIL to do all that and also make sure the guys on the roster who they want to return are taken care of (NIL).

Next year the schedule is a bear and they will probably be favored in two of eight SEC games.

Not meant to be a negative post, just getting to the end of the season and taking a big picture, realistic view going into maybe the most significant offseason of the Stoops era.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News