ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky gets hammered pretty hard on SEC Network

Jordan and Greg most of the time on SEC network when discussing Wildcat football did so with a smirk on their face!

A couple thoughts:

1. We 100% need to do better with in-state recruiting. According to Rivals, there were 8 4-star guys from the state this year. We got 2 of them. That will not lend itself to success. It's not common for Kentucky to put out that many 4/5 star guys, so we have to take advantage of it.

2. I don't care where we fall in the entire SEC. We don't play A&M again until 2025. Who cares where they are ranked. I care where we fall with the SEC east, Mississippi State and UL. Here is the 4 year national ranking average of the last 4 recruiting classes (2016 - 2019:

Georgia - 3.5
Florida - 12
Tennessee - 15.5
South Carolina - 19.25
Mississippi State - 27.5
Kentucky - 28.5
Missouri - 42.25
Louisville - 46
Vandy - 52.25

Out of a 12 game schedule, we have 4 teams that recruit at a higher level than us, one of which we have beaten 5 years in a row. I feel pretty good knowing that in 2/3 of our games, based on high school rankings, we are as good or better than our opponent. We have some work to do, but far from doom and gloom.

^^^Exactly, and just beat the team in the second spot with the talent they had at their place and played them even the other two years. 3 years ago beat UGA everyway but the scoreboard with the talent they had the previous three years. The point is the separation between us and others ahead is not the cavern people think, it's a couple more high level players each year that we do need to find a way to get for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ky grandpa
One thing I do agree with is that in-state recruiting needs to get better. They did really well early in Stoops tenure, but oddly enough, in-state recruiting has dipped as the team has gotten much better the last couple of years. Unfortunately, at this point, it appears 2020 could be a struggle as well. Two of the top five have already committed to out state schools and a few others (Bartleson, Smith, Oxendine, Cummings, Tisdale) are all probably leaning elsewhere at this point. Kentucky is in good shape with Beau Allen and John Young, two four stars, but apparently have some ground to make up on the others.

That is it in a nutshell, fix the instate recruiting and keep up the good work elsewhere and we will be a tough team to beat annually

The only caveat I would say is that we missed on in-state talent. Those relationships were surely in place. I hate seeing guys from Kentucky still looking at the program as 2nd rate.

As much as we would like to think that all instate kids just live to play for Kentucky, we would be wrong. You can't grow up with a program and love them going 2-10 and mostly under .500 seasons. Two 7 win seasons got things stirring again, this past 10 win season probably raised eyebrows with the hs sophomores, juniors, and seniors but the media's lack of confidence in us maintaining this level of success is also being read by these youngsters too so they are watching so we have to win to recruit.

We had a good class; filled upcoming needs at DL, LB, CB, OL. We missed some wr options but that’s how it goes sometimes.

Lots of those schools ahead of us recruit nationally wherein we are limited to B-10 and SEC country. If you go through all our recruits you’d be surprised at how many offers there were from SEC, B-10, and ACC schools. Several of our commits with big time offers were early commits and therefore were probably not evaluated again. An example is the kid from Tifton, GA with a monster offer sheet but still rated a 5.5.

If some of these lazy ass services like rivals would get off their ass and do their job we’d probably be in the 19- 22 range.

We signed what 3-4 4* players. I remember years when we didn't have that many on the roster. Recruiting rankings is very subjective, especially in football. I would love to sign a 5* or 2 and several 4* but if we keep having these results...

Reactions: The-Hack
So Carolina has finished above us in recruiting forever. They just can't seem to finish above us in the 60 mins we meet each year. I will take the 60 mins and the hell with what the services say. Until this staff can't win with what they recruit I won't stress over what we have. We will though see results of our 10 win season in next years cycle and if we win 8 or more this coming year it will continue to improve in stars signed.
So you are saying that South Carolina beats us in thre recruiting rankings on a yearly basis. You are also saying that for 5 straight years we have beat them on the field. Therefore the recruiting rankings is not a guide saying there is no chance you will win the game. I think you may have won the prize sir...

Reactions: fabcat
This is why UK will never take the next step as a program a d win consistently like we did last year. Fans are OK with finishing 35th in recruiting and 13th out 14 in the SEC.
It is like another poster has said, South Carolina has outrecruited us EVERY SINGLE YEAR and look how they are killing us on the field

He works for ESPN that's all you need to know. Just ask Matt Jones - he went from fanboy with zero football knowledge to expert simply by purchasing Phil Steele's magazine when he was called upon to sit in for Paul Finebaum and realized that he would have to talk football.
Is this for real? He purchased Steele's magazine to refer to on Finebaum lol

But remember our highest rated class in history, 2014, which was rated #22, had a lot of 5th year stars on last years team. Probably not a coincidence. I think we’re recruiting well enough to compete but we have less room for error than 12 other SEC teams.
Do you really think there is that much difference between 22 and 35? This ain't rocket science

Do recruiting rankings matter? Sure. But we’ve shown now it doesn’t take a top 10 class to win. So I’m not conferenced.

It depends on what you mean by "win". IMO a 10 win season is the ceiling for top 25ish classes. If we want to take the last step up the ladder and win the East we need to ratchet up recruiting a notch or two.

I'm as disappointed as anyone about how today turned out. But, it would also be short sighted to judge this class based on today's result, we landed some nice athletes in this class.

We need to step up our game in recruiting, I'm hoping some are correct and next year Stoop's and company start seeing the fruits of their labor. The better (more) studs you have, the wider the margin for error becomes. I look at the Mizzou game, take away one stud (Bowden), we lose that game. The more guys we have like that, the easier it is to play past mistakes, or all out bad games (UT Game).

The defense in the Mizzou game gave up zero first downs in the second half. There were some studs, in addition to LB, who won that game for us.

I think we may have lost a couple more games had it not been for Max Duffy. That guy was as important a recruit to this past season’s success as any first year player.

Last edited:
Next class will show the change. Most of these kids were being recruited 2 and 3 years ago. Experts should know that.

Beginning next class we'll be selling the 10 wins and a big NFL draft while also having another good season.

Most of the fans on this board believed the preseason disappointment spewed by the pundits. If fans here believed, you have to think recruits and their families believed. By the time UK broke into the top 20, many decisions were made or narrowed.

It depends on what you mean by "win". IMO a 10 win season is the ceiling for top 25ish classes. If we want to take the last step up the ladder and win the East we need to ratchet up recruiting a notch or two.

And, that is done in stages. Ratcheting up first requires the 10 win season, probably quite a few, if we are going to be honest. Establishing a brand is required at UK. When SEC teams expect to lose to UK or are thrilled with the win, and UK is regularly winning 9-10 games, the staff can realistically ratchet upwards.

IMO, before that can happen, UK needs to land a top tiered QB, by luck or by state affiliation. Now that Stoops has created a blue collar fight in the trenches mentality, he needs a field captain who can do what the average QB cannot. That could be the influential change to this program that changes perceptions.

This is what I have been saying for awhile. If 10 win seasons are the goal, UK is recruiting at a level plenty good enough. But if the goal is higher it's going to require recruiting at a higher level. With FSU and Miami both trainwrecks UF is sitting pretty, UT is back to recruiting nationally like Fuller did in his day. I want both to go 0-12 but they aren't and to not recognize the amount of talent both brought in with this class would be putting your head in the sand.

To be fair, it wasn't Finebaum. The only thing Finebaum said about UK today was that their classes are never ranked high (correct) and that Stoops has done an excellent job at developing his roster (correct).
But that does not fit the out to get us narrative. People can give a opinion about the team without it all being peaches and cream. We did fail big time finding play makers, especially at WR. That is where i was most disappointed. Now if we strike out THIS year with only 14-18 open spots, we could be in trouble. But as of now, most positions, we have depth, but a few areas are a big concern. QB and WR being two of them.

But that does not fit the out to get us narrative. People can give a opinion about the team without it all being peaches and cream. We did fail big time finding play makers, especially at WR. That is where i was most disappointed. Now if we strike out THIS year with only 14-18 open spots, we could be in trouble. But as of now, most positions, we have depth, but a few areas are a big concern. QB and WR being two of them.

That 14-18 isn't set in stone, kids will give up football, transfer for playing time, leave early for the NFL. Lots of variables to take in to get a hard number.

I agree, but depth isn't the issue with wide receivers, I think we will have something like 12 on the 2019 roster, what we need is one or two guys with big play potential. Granted the Marquise Browns and the Calvin Ridleys don't grow on trees but they have to find players of that caliber to get the passing game consistent and productive. Bowden is that type player but he is likely gone after 2019 and if he's the only big threat we have on the field it makes it too easy for defenses.

^^^Exactly, and just beat the team in the second spot with the talent they had at their place and played them even the other two years. 3 years ago beat UGA everyway but the scoreboard with the talent they had the previous three years. The point is the separation between us and others ahead is not the cavern people think, it's a couple more high level players each year that we do need to find a way to get for sure.

Georgia had 460 yards to UKs 308 that night - you seem to have selective memory. That also was a 7-5 Georgia team that also lost to Vandy and Ga Tech - that type team ain’t coming back for awhile.

Ugh. I get tired of explaining this.

The amount of success you have this yr affects next yr’s class more than the current one. The amount of success you have this yr helps to maintain your current class.

For instance, going 7-5 in 2017-18 set up the 2019 class. Going 10-3 in 2018-19 helped to hold together the 2019 class.....but set up 2020.

Yes, going 10-3 helped us to land a couple fish we wouldn’t have. If the 2020 average quality of recruit isn’t significantly improved I’ll worry.
I would also say that winning puts us in contention with some higher rated recruits which means we are competing for those recruits against "the big boys". Question: Does going after a top 100 player hard (eg, Devonta Lee) and finishing second hurt you with a top 300 kid who you could have gotten had they not been your plan 'B'?
The next step will be identifying what battles to fight, what level kids we have a good chance of getting and not waste resources/relationships on kids you'd really love to have but are long shots to land. Concentrate on the high 3 */low 4* players for now...keep winning and bump up the standards over time.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
Georgia had 460 yards to UKs 308 that night - you seem to have selective memory. That also was a 7-5 Georgia team that also lost to Vandy and Ga Tech - that type team ain’t coming back for awhile.
Agreed. There has clearly been some exaggeration regarding that game. The thing everyone points to is that 2 sure TD passes were dropped which could have given UK the win. As legit as that is UK didn't beat UGA every which way as some state. We played well enough to have a shot at winning. Georgia was still the better team that night in my opinion.

This is what I have been saying for awhile. If 10 win seasons are the goal, UK is recruiting at a level plenty good enough. But if the goal is higher it's going to require recruiting at a higher level. With FSU and Miami both trainwrecks UF is sitting pretty, UT is back to recruiting nationally like Fuller did in his day. I want both to go 0-12 but they aren't and to not recognize the amount of talent both brought in with this class would be putting your head in the sand.
No question but I think there are steps instead of leaps and bounds. Right now my goal is to sustain a 10 year stretch of 7 to 8 wins with an occasional 10 win season. Do that and you will start getting some more of the 5 star kids. Right now we have a program with only 3 10 win season ever. We aren't in the same conversation right now as those higher level teams.

Do you really think there is that much difference between 22 and 35? This ain't rocket science
Well we’ve never won 10 games in the last 40 years either. But we did with our highest rated class in history. There’s probably some correlation there wouldn’t you think?

No question but I think there are steps instead of leaps and bounds. Right now my goal is to sustain a 10 year stretch of 7 to 8 wins with an occasional 10 win season. Do that and you will start getting some more of the 5 star kids. Right now we have a program with only 3 10 win season ever. We aren't in the same conversation right now as those higher level teams.

No issue with that. Just at my point in life I can't look at timeframes in decades,

Well we’ve never won 10 games in the last 40 years either. But we did with our highest rated class in history. There’s probably some correlation there wouldn’t you think?
gain, recruiting especially football recruiting is very subjective. We had guys rankings drop after they committed to UK coincidence? As also has been said South Carolina has out recruited UK since Daniel Boone crossed Appalachia but have not fared well on the field last 5 years, any correlation there? Recruiting rankings prolly makes more sense in basketball many fewer prospects to evaluate

I agree with this. UK needs a minimum of 10 4*s in the next recruiting cycle to take the next step.

That 14-18 isn't set in stone, kids will give up football, transfer for playing time, leave early for the NFL. Lots of variables to take in to get a hard number.

Correct, which is why i added 4 to the 14 open spots. Could be as high as 20-21. But was being moderate with the casualties. Daniel is one we lost today, do not know if we gain a open ride for him leaving, i would think so being he is scheduled to graduate.

I agree, but depth isn't the issue with wide receivers, I think we will have something like 12 on the 2019 roster, what we need is one or two guys with big play potential. Granted the Marquise Browns and the Calvin Ridleys don't grow on trees but they have to find players of that caliber to get the passing game consistent and productive. Bowden is that type player but he is likely gone after 2019 and if he's the only big threat we have on the field it makes it too easy for defenses.

Which is why i said i was most disappointed in WR position we signed. It is a problem right now, and will be only more so in the future if we do not address it and sign quality guys. Maybe they took the Lee kid's interest a little to serious and losing Wandale late in the game definitely stung. Just need to buckle down and land some guys. We have actually had some good ones commit, but could not sign. The Eskridge (?) kid a couple years ago out of Florida was one off the top of my head to go along with Robinson and a couple others.

Sure it is. Our Two best players were a 2* and a 3*... can’t speak for everyone but myself I don’t think you can just rely on the services that rate these players out of high school. There’s so many kids to evaluate in football that they miss a lot on the evaluations. Sometimes the difference in a 4* and 3* is minimal. That’s were we make our living in recruiting. We’re not going to get multiple 5* kids right now or maybe ever. But this staff has proven it can win at a pretty high level recruiting the way they have.

The defense in the Mizzou game gave up zero first downs in the second half. There were some studs, in addition to LB, who won that game for us.

I think we may have lost a couple more games had it not been for Max Duffy. That guy was as important a recruit to this past season’s success as any first year player.
No arguments here. Football doesn't exist in a vacuum, there were a lot of guys that contributed to that victory. The one and only point I was trying to make, and you alluded to it in another post about a top notch qb. We need to add a few more game changers. I also agree with you and several other posters, it takes time, relationships have to be built, with hs coaches and players. I just think that's the missing ingredient at this point. Robinson and Lee would have been explosive adds to this class, need to start winning battles like these.

Sure it is. Our Two best players were a 2* and a 3*... can’t speak for everyone but myself I don’t think you can just rely on the services that rate these players out of high school. There’s so many kids to evaluate in football that they miss a lot on the evaluations. Sometimes the difference in a 4* and 3* is minimal. That’s were we make our living in recruiting. We’re not going to get multiple 5* kids right now or maybe ever. But this staff has proven it can win at a pretty high level recruiting the way they have.
I hear people say that recruiting rankings don’t matter but the top 25 polls say otherwise. Usually the teams that recruit the best have the best teams. Coaching matters. Recruiting matters. Look no further than our games with UT and UF. They have out recruited us every year since rankings were started and are a combined 64-3 over the last 67 games. Yes, USCe outrecruits us but we have the better coach. I believe we have outrecruited Mizzou every year since Stoops has been here and we have won the last 5. We regularly out recruit Vandy and we usually beat them. It all matters.

I’ve watched all the available film on all of UK’s offensive recruits. I think UK got two stud WR’s. I really like Pope at OL and Ognenovic at TE. I think Tisdale is a nice compliment to Rose. That’s on the offense side. QB is still TBD. I do wish we had signed more OL. I’m no expert, but UK got some players.

Someone mentioned the OL that UT signed last minute. He’s a great athlete with low desire to play football. That is coming from multiple people I work with from Huntington. He wasn’t even sure he wanted to sign with anyone. I don’t see him lasting at UT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT