ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky football quarterback preview: Terry Wilson early favorite for starting job

Clearly the thought that this guy probably won't play in the NFL upsets everyone. In this dire situation, we need a guy who won't lose the game for us just by letting him touch the football every hike. Amen?

Don't be silly. If Oklahoma had rather have Heisman winners than him then he must not be very good.

Did Bama even offer? Of course they might have offered after they found out UK did, just not a lot of time in between.

"an unproven JUCO whose claim to fame was being signed by Helfrich and then transferring to a JUCO"

His claim to fame, your agenda is showing again.

I think the coaches can evaluate his talent better than you can, and they seemed to be very excited about him, he has better size and looks to be more durable than Stephen, good passing AND running ability, decent stats in his first year of playing. His claim to fame is not what you list, it is being a four star coming out of high school, being signed by Oregon, and the story I read said he didn't want to sit behind what was supposed to be a Heisman candidate before that player got injured. The other more recent and easily verified FACT is that he was in demand by programs like Nebraska, Florida, etc, UK is very lucky to have him IMO.

I think our QB coach is looking forward to working with him, and if he isn't ready we have two other candidates.
Jauk out of fairness...sj beat Tenn Louisville and made two bowl app.

Jauk out of fairness...sj beat Tenn Louisville and made two bowl app.

Where did I show any disrespect for Stephen, what he did at UK was remarkable, but most of it was due to heart and determination IMO.

I don't think a lot of fans appreciated what we had from the JC ranks when we signed him, and I hope the same is true with Wilson.

From all reports he does have the tools to be better.

What has he done to warrant this hype train? He passed the look test? So did Towles and see where that got him. Towles and Barker were 4 star QBs also. What happened there?

Yes - there's reason to be optimistic. I hope he's Mariotta Jr. But to discount the other two guys and pin your hopes on an unproven JUCO is not only bad for your expectations, but it's bad for Terry. Dude shouldn't come in here with expectations of being superman.

Who is discounting the other two guys, look in the mirror. Hoak has looked very good the two times we have had a chance to see him, and he was a four star on ESPN, our 5.7 candidate with a rocket arm was committed to Ohio State at one time, can't count him out either.

The main thing IMO is that we have an All SEC caliber RB, probably an All SEC TE WITH backups, a very experienced AND highly recruited OL that could AVERAGE a four star in most permutations with a 5.9 transfer for the weak spot, A very GOOD and experienced WR in Baker for his last chance, a very exciting young player in Bowden at WR, with some other very good young prospects there.

So if we only have a QB that can manage the game surrounded by that talent we should have a pretty good offense.-

And with our QB coach and THREE viable candidates I think we will be fine on offense------thankfully choosing the QB that starts is up to him, not me--------and losing ONE starter on D with more young talent coming in I think we will be fine on D also.

Drop your agenda and enjoy life for a while, that is if you really are a fan, when is the last time we have had talent like this returning?

And I'm sorry if these FACTS bother you.

Last edited:
Reactions: hamidousvertical
I'm trusting Gran and Hinshaw on the addition of Terry Wilson. When hired their first order of business was to sign a backup q.b.. Recent history I think shows they did good in signing Stephen Johnson! For whats it's worth I'm impressed with Terry's game films!

Last edited:
Who is discounting the other two guys, look in the mirror. Hoak has looked very good the two times we have had a chance to see him, and he was a four star on ESPN, our 5.7 candidate with a rocket arm was committed to Ohio State at one time, can't count him out either.

The main thing IMO is that we have an All SEC caliber RB, probably an All SEC TE WITH backups, a very experienced AND highly recruited OL that could AVERAGE a four star in most permutations with a 5.9 transfer for the weak spot, A very GOOD and experienced WR in Baker for his last chance, a very exciting young player in Bowden at WR, with some other very good young prospects there.

So if we only have a QB that can manage the game surrounded by that talent we should have a pretty good offense.-

And with our QB coach and THREE viable candidates I think we will be fine on offense------thankfully choosing the QB that starts is up to him, not me--------and losing ONE starter on D with more young talent coming in I think we will be fine on D also.

Drop your agenda and enjoy life for a while, that is if you really are a fan, when is the last time we have had talent like this returning?

And I'm sorry if these FACTS bother you.

Man, you must not pay attention. The one thing I've given Stoops credit for his recruiting. I preface most of critiques "this is the best consistent recruiting of my lifetime" and then go on to show my disdain for Stoops inability to get the most out of it. Or put a decent defense out there. Or try and play offense, other than 3 yards and cloud of dust. Or maybe cover up all receivers on the field (I could go on).

So we are on the same page about Terry? He's not superman but he has some tools and we hope he's the real deal?

I'm trusting Gran and Hinshaw on the addition of Terry Wilson. When hired their first order of business was to sign a backup q.b.. Recent history I think shows they did good in signing Stephen Johnson! For whats it's worth I'm impressed with Terry's game films!

Agree, trainer. You do have to give those guys the benefit of the doubt as they did find SJ. Hope Terry has a similar leadership/winner mentality.

Wilson gets some time to work with Hinshaw. SJ had a real issue his first year with accuracy early on and ball security. Some reports I've read stated TW had some accuracy issues as a JUCO. That can be juggled a hundred ways....weak protection, poor receivers, rusty.....
BUT....he's got some time to work on it.

Whether staff thought Hoak was better than Barker, that he couldn't get snaps late in games out of hand over a hurting SJ says to me they don't think he's good enough to lead us going forward.
Yep. To me that's the most striking point in this whole conversation. Apparently down the stretch Johnson had two fairly impaired shoulders. He clearly wasn't right. And yet Hoak got no clock at all. Actions speak loudly.

To be good in the pocket is not all about speed. A QB who can read defenses, see the field, and has good presence (calmness with Peripheral vision/anticipation) and quick feet can be deadly in the pocket. Lamar Jackson was extraordinarily fast in the open field and at scrambling in the back field, but he often was not good in the pocket. I think most of that was due to it being new to him this past year. Experience played a big role in him remaining calm as he felt the pressure. Meanwhile, there are less mobile QBs who have a feel for the pocket and know when to get rid of the ball or to simply step up a couple of feet to buy themselves more time. Ice in the veins is a good attribute. Dennis Lampley used to talk about trying to sneak up on Jeff Brohm in the crowded hallways between classes at Trinity. He raved about Jeff's peripheral vision and senses. That helps a great deal for making decisions about how to respond to pressure. Billy Gillispie used to talk about the player who could see all ten players on the floor (yes, he did have some good comments). Good QBs see the field and know where people are. So, while Wilson's reported speed seems to be guiding some decisions here, other QBs without that reputation are not necessarily bad choices in the pocket.

Jauk if you are going to go by his high school rating then you must also take into account why his 2 home state schools did not offer.

In fact which Big 12 schools did offer this 4 star at the time? None.

So who missevaluated the kid then? ALL those coaches or the ratings services?

I am not trying to dismiss his Oregon. Arizona State or Nebraska interest, but it is interesting.

Demand from UF and Nebraska is a bit misleading as both schools coveted Adrian Martinez and at best TW was a back up plan.

Martinez signed with Nebraska.

Keep in mind TW supposedly went to Oregon because of Frost and when he left TW left, and once Frost became HC at Nebraska he chose a different QB even though he knew TW as well as anyone.

Was TW’s FL offer really commit-able? Or was it simply for depth? We know Mullen was trying to sway the #1 player in the nation Fields from his UGA commit and another super QB Emory Jones from Ohio State. Jones did flip and signed with Florida.

The fact TW had solid interest from big time programs bodes well for UK. But It is apparent that most believe he is, at best, a tier below elite status.

Hopefully he reaches the full potential so many here expect and luckily for us he doesn’t have to be Cam Newton to help us be successful.

Mullen was trying to get any an other than the one UF had committed, Matt Corral, a higher rated qb,than the one they flipped from tOSU who saw his ranking plunge the last couple months.

I have no idea how good the JUCO qb can be, but being honest with yourself he was a backup plan when Williams flipped at the last minute and sent the staff scrambling to get the best option possible at the time. He isn't a guy who has to play, UK. Has other options. They knew Barker was likely leaving and wanted a 3rd qb on the roster more than a starter.

Reactions: SanAntonioCat
I'm comfortable with whomever emerges for the '18 season.

My prediction at this point would be silly. I have yet to personally meet any of them, and haven't watched their respective Spring practices, yet.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT