ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Football and its Discontents

Nov 11, 2014
What is the expectation moving forward after this year?

Will Stoops be on the hot seat if we ever fall back to 6 and 7 win seasons after we've built up to this point?

I believe he would be...

I think the future expectation is at least 8 wins or bust moving forward....

We are the 2nd best program in the East now behind UGA.

Reactions: Mark80
what's the minimum expectation moving forward with wins per season?
There's no minimum expectation without context. Stoops has earned the right to coach here as long as puts in the effort he has thus far and as long as he doesn't drive over a cliff for multiple years. No one is perfect and anyone who expects linear growth without reverting to the mean is a fool.

Here is what I pretty sure will happen in the future:
1. Mitch is going to hand out a crazy good contract for Stoops after this year....probably will have to fight off a few teams interested in Stoops to take over their programs.
2. We lose a crap ton from this year's team....sure we've recruited some nice classes...but we're going to fall back to 7-ish wins next year.....people just need to face the reality.
3. I think the expectation should be 2-3 year cyclical effects of challenging for the East and then falling back to break even/losing SEC records afterwards. Then when we redo the conference with Oklahoma/Texas....I tihnk we'll be in a quad with UGA, UF and USC...the remaining SEC slate might not always have a Vandy, Miss st, Mizzou on it....we'll have to re-set expectations just simply based on who is on the schedule that year.

So it's not a 9 wins is the expectation kind of bar to be set IMO

I’m with the OP on this thread!

Talk of a big bowl? Nationally ranked . . . showdowns with State, UT and Louisville pending . . . .

To hell with all of that mumbo-jumbo . . . we need to figure out
how many games we should win in 2024, and by what margin!

And while we’re at it, if someone
could take their eyes off a gleaming 6-1 record for just a moment, I would like to know the projected price of 500 pound black angus heifers in February, 2023!!

he's got a lot of determination as a coach. He almost has reached all time wins record, possibly by the end of this season if we win out. I dont see him on the hot seat. We've reached a bowl game again this season. I usually think thats got to be another positive.

Reactions: rupp876
It depends on what you have returning and what other teams in the SEC have returning year to year. I do not think 8-4 or better is a guarantee every season, although with 4 OOC cupcakes and Vandy, Missouri & SC on the schedule that gets you a good chance at that every season if Stoops keeps this ball rolling as he should. Of course, if one of those teams gets better, then that makes it tougher or if UL gets better that makes it more like 3 OOC cupcakes and a rivalry game against an improved UL.

I would have to check but sure most teams in the SEC (excluding 2020 as it was weird) have had a 7-5 season or worse the past 5 years. I just checked and UGA had one in 2016...do not need to check the other 12 teams because I know they have all had one.

There's no minimum expectation without context. Stoops has earned the right to coach here as long as puts in the effort he has thus far and as long as he doesn't drive over a cliff for multiple years. No one is perfect and anyone who expects linear growth without reverting to the mean is a fool.

Agreed.

Programs like Auburn can fluctuate between 6 wins and a National Championship based on personnel, luck, coaching, schedule, etc. The ebbs and flows tend to occur every 3-5 yrs. They don’t recruit like Bama so they shouldn’t have the same expectations.

Until we start recruiting like Bama/UGA/Clemson, we should acknowledge that there will be ebbs and flows in seasons.

On a side note, UKs history is so terrible that longevity is HUGE!!! James Franklin won well at Vandy but left after just a few yrs…..and Vandy crashed back down. If Stoops leaves next yr after being here about 10 yrs, we can go back to the basement more quickly than we realize…..though probably wouldn’t be as fast as Franklin/Vandy did. If Stoops stays for 20+ yrs, it gets even harder to return to the basement.

Sooo, even when Stoops yields a 6-7 win season during the ebb/flow, he’s still moving the program forward historically. Think Beamer at VT.

Agreed.

Programs like Auburn can fluctuate between 6 wins and a National Championship based on personnel, luck, coaching, schedule, etc. The ebbs and flows tend to occur every 3-5 yrs. They don’t recruit like Bama so they shouldn’t have the same expectations.

Until we start recruiting like Bama/UGA/Clemson, we should acknowledge that there will be ebbs and flows in seasons.

On a side note, UKs history is so terrible that longevity is HUGE!!! James Franklin won well at Vandy but left after just a few yrs…..and Vandy crashed back down. If Stoops leaves next yr after being here about 10 yrs, we can go back to the basement more quickly than we realize…..though probably wouldn’t be as fast as Franklin/Vandy did. If Stoops stays for 20+ yrs, it gets even harder to return to the basement.

Sooo, even when Stoops yields a 6-7 win season during the ebb/flow, he’s still moving the program forward historically. Think Beamer at VT.
Exactly! Almost every great coach has a few losing seasons on their resume, just like every great salesman has a down year. I am continually amazed at the lack of perspective I read on message boards and social media. Maybe it's because people type from their ID rather than using the left side of their brain.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
Dumb post. We're having a great year, enjoy it.

I think UK football expectations should be reset on an annual basis. Should we expect to be competitive and win more than we lose every year? Yes. Should we try and compete for titles? Yes. Should we fire Stoops if he goes 7-5 in a rebuilding year with Florida, UT, GEorgia, Ole Miss, Texas, and OU on a schedule? No.

I would think, at a minimum, we should expect to go to a bowl game every year. Stoops has worked hard to get us to that point where 6+ wins is expected. Now, 7-5 every so often won't bother me especially if, every so often, there's a 9+ win season. I have always thought that UK FB should be a 7-9 win program consistently with outliers to either side of that. With the lack of instate recruiting base in comparison to our SEC brethren, I think it's unreasonable to expect to consistently win 9+ games at UK but, hell, I'll take it!

Personally, I'm not that afraid of OU or UT. Neither one of them play a lick of defense and UT has been a perennial underachiever since VY graduated. They must be jinxed or something because, for the life of me, I can't figure out how that school can't maintain a top 15 program in their sleep. Don't think either team consistently has the across-the-board talent that GA, AL has and, in many years, not as talented as FL, AU, A&M, LSU. They're good but I wouldn't pencil them into the SEC championship game any time soon. They might find it hard to score 50 on every SEC team and, lord knows, they can't stop anybody.

Reactions: AirRaid08
1. Mitch is going to hand out a crazy good contract for Stoops after this year....probably will have to fight off a few teams interested in Stoops to take over their programs.
2. We lose a crap ton from this year's team....sure we've recruited some nice classes...but we're going to fall back to 7-ish wins next year.....people just need to face the reality.
3. I think the expectation should be 2-3 year cyclical effects of challenging for the East and then falling back to break even/losing SEC records afterwards. Then when we redo the conference with Oklahoma/Texas....I tihnk we'll be in a quad with UGA, UF and USC...the remaining SEC slate might not always have a Vandy, Miss st, Mizzou on it....we'll have to re-set expectations just simply based on who is on the schedule that year.

Tend to agree, but with this season, assuming 11-2 or better, we ought to be able to hit the transfer portal hard to fill losses quickly plus get more very high-quality FR. Those may be enough to keep us near to this year's results.

Yep, impossible to set expectations without seeing what new conference schedule looks like. I don’t expect 9 wins to be a reasonable annual expectation.

Talk of a big bowl? Nationally ranked . . . showdowns with State, UT and Louisville pending . . . .

could take their eyes off a gleaming 6-1 record for just a moment, I would like to know the projected price of 500 pound black angus heifers in February, 2023!!
Wait, how do you know it’s a heifer? Are you one of them Bull on Wheels?

Reactions: The-Hack
Stoops drives me bananas sometimes , but he's earned a TON of good will and grace .

The only reason you have those expectations is because of Mark Stoops. He has earned a ton of good will and it would take a total collapse of the program for him to ever be in danger of losing this job. This is his program and he’s shown he is the man for the job

Reactions: backinky2018
What on God’s green Earth makes you think our program is second in front of Florida? With all we lose, I just hope we can keep it within 14-21 next year in Gainesville.

Agreed.

Good comparison with Beamer at VT, but I think we can be bigger than VT was....

What is the expectation moving forward after this year?

Will Stoops be on the hot seat if we ever fall back to 6 and 7 win seasons after we've built up to this point?

I believe he would be...

I think the future expectation is at least 8 wins or bust moving forward....

We are the 2nd best program in the East now behind UGA.
Still building moving on up on the east side

Reactions: Backer cutter
What is the expectation for StupidPostAgainYep moving forward after this thread?

Will StupidPostAgainYep be on the hot seat if we ever read another 6 and 7 garbage takes after we've built up to this monumental crappy take at this point?

I believe he would be..

Tough call on the heifer price. With inflation trending, prices will be way up...if, steak is still legal. Remember, we can't have cow farts killing off the human race. People need to stop taking their eyes off the bigger methane issue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT