ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Coaching History: By the Numbers

Apr 4, 2012
There have been 121 seasons of Kentucky basketball, dating back to its first season in 1902-1903. There have been twenty-two coaches in UK's rich history, but only seven in the last ninety-three years (Rupp 1930-1972; Hall 1972-1985; Sutton 1985-1989; Pitino 1989-1997; Smith 1997-2007; Gillispie 2007-2009; Calipari 2009-Present). Kentucky's winning percentage throughout its history is .759, good for first all-time, followed by North Carolina at .734. I began looking at the numbers to see where John Calipari's seasons compare with Kentucky's seasons and winning percentage historically. Here are nine Kentucky coaching factoids in hopes of #9 sooner than later:

1. There have been two undefeated seasons in Kentucky basketball history: 1953-54 (25-0), and 1911-12 (9-0). Neither team won an NCAA championship (there was no NCAA tournament in 1912).

2. The third and fourth best seasons in Kentucky basketball history, from a winning percentage standpoint, were 2014-15 (.974) and 2011-12 (.950), both teams coached by John Calipari.

3. The fifth best season was 1995-96 (.944), coached by Rick Pitino.

4. John Calipari has three top-20 seasons for UK. The only other coach with multiple top-20 seasons is Adolph Rupp, who had 12. Edwin Sweetland (1911-12), Rick Pitino (1995-96), Joe B. Hall (1977-78), George
Buchheit (1920-21), Tubby Smith (1997-98), each had one.

This is where things get interesting:

5. John Calipari has seven seasons below the historical UK standard of .759 (2015-16, 37-9; 2013-14, 29-11; 2017-18, 26-11; 2023-24, 23-10; 2022-23, 22-12; 2012-13, 21-12; 2020-21, 9-16). That's seven out of sixteen seasons. Tubby Smith had six out of his ten seasons at or below .759. Rick Pitino only had one, and it was his probation year (1989-90), and he went .500. Billy Gillispie, obviously, was below that threshold by a Texas mile for his two seasons. In forty-one seasons, Rupp finished below .759 only eleven times.

6. John Calipari's UK teams have finished the season ranked in the AP Top-25 ten out of sixteen seasons, probably eleven if UK is ranked in the final poll this year. Tubby Smith teams finished ranked in the Top-25 in eight of his ten seasons. Rick Pitino went seven for eight, with his lone "failure" being the probation season. Joe B. Hall went nine for thirteen.

7. John Calipari has five thirty-win seasons for UK, or 31% of the time. Rupp had four in forty-two years but won three championships out of those four seasons. Pitino had three in eight years, one championship. Tubby had two in ten years, one championship. Joe B. Hall had one, one championship. Eddie Sutton had one. Billy Gillispie had thirty beers before the NIT game.

8. Seven of UK's eight championships were thirty-win seasons. The only exception was Rupp's 1957-58 team that won only 23 games.

9. Only Rupp (1971-72) and Pitino (1997-98) ended their time at UK with a season winning percentage higher than .759.

Thoughts?

Source

Last edited:
Good analysis. It’s interesting to see the numbers.

To me it seems like every coach who was here at least a decade had a mix of peaks and valleys, even Rupp. Pitino’s run was great but short, and the two drunks weren’t here long enough to qualify.

2012: We were at 32 wins entering the tournament
1998: 29 wins
1996: 28 wins
1978: 25 wins (only five wins in the tournament instead of six)
1958: 19 wins
1951: 28 wins
1949: 29 wins
1948: 33 wins

Yep, this season, our tournament hopes were over before the tourney even began, only 23 wins.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Interesting indeed, but there needs to be some context. Rupp's career winning percentage is inflated by playing in a conference that - aside from Kentucky - might as well have been playing intramural basketball. Smith's numbers are somewhat depressed by consistently playing brutal schedules (most of Tubby's schedules were ranked in the top 10 Sagarin SOS). Calipari's schedules fall somewhere between those two. Pitino's high career winning pct is probably the most impressive, won against an much-improved SEC (compared to the Rupp era). Not sure about his OOC schedule strength, I get some time I may take a look at Jon Scott's site and compare the various coach's OOC schedules in terms of number of ranked teams played.

Interesting indeed, but there needs to be some context. Rupp's career winning percentage is inflated by playing in a conference that - aside from Kentucky - might as well have been playing intramural basketball. Smith's numbers are somewhat depressed by consistently playing brutal schedules (most of Tubby's schedules were ranked in the top 10 Sagarin SOS). Calipari's schedules fall somewhere between those two. Pitino's high career winning pct is probably the most impressive, won against an much-improved SEC (compared to the Rupp era). Not sure about his OOC schedule strength, I get some time I may take a look at Jon Scott's site and compare the various coach's OOC schedules in terms of number of ranked teams played.
Yeah. This wasn't for or against Calipari. There a lot of context needed to those coaches, for sure. There are definitely highs and lows for each coach, except for Pitino. He escaped before it could have derailed.

You can only play the teams who are in your conf... I know OOC games also but most are ICG.... So are you are blaming Rupp for only playing the teams he had to play??? don't understand why people bring this up every so often... Most of those fans are new to UKBB or just plain don't have a clue... Some are young and dumb also, dumb as in no history to follow since little Johnny was only 10 when he saw his first game back in 2010.... lol

GBB

You can only play the teams who are in your conf... I know OOC games also but most are ICG.... So are you are blaming Rupp for only playing the teams he had to play??? don't understand why people bring this up every so often... Most of those fans are new to UKBB or just plain don't have a clue... Some are young and dumb also, dumb as in no history to follow since little Johnny was only 10 when he saw his first game back in 2010.... lol

GBB
I'm not blaming Rupp for anything, just pointing out that his high winning percentage is at least partly due to the level of competition. Doesn't make him any less one of the most innovative and successful coaches of all time. And I'm hardly new here, or young or dumb. I'm 66 and have been following the Cats for at least 34 years. I've spent hundreds of hours pouring through Jon Scott's amazing stats site debating various aspects of Kentucky basketball with posters on this site and its predecessor since the early 2000s, and I'm quite familiar with their entire history.

In defense of Rupp his out of conference schedule usually included some of the top teams in the country every year. The University of Kentucky Invitational Tournament every year in December was one of the most competitive in season tournaments drawing top teams. The NIT was big then too. Sure, the SEC wasn't strong in basketball but also he rarely lost to any of them, usually beating them badly.

Coach Rupp should be removed from analysis and comparison.
He's the King. The GOAT.

But there is no comparison to Rupp's days and today.
Everything is different. And I mean EVERYTHING.

I know. I was around for over 20 seasons.

Reactions: littlecreek
In defense of Rupp his out of conference schedule usually included some of the top teams in the country every year. The University of Kentucky Invitational Tournament every year in December was one of the most competitive in season tournaments drawing top teams. The NIT was big then too. Sure, the SEC wasn't strong in basketball but also he rarely lost to any of them, usually beating them badly.
In the 1969-1970 season, Rupps team set the school record for PS/G at 96.8. That's incredible considering there was not a three-point shot in college basketball at the time. In fact, Rupp has three of the five highest PS/G output in Kentucky history:

1. 1969-70: 96.8
2. 1970-71: 95.4
5. 1968-69: 90.8

Dan Issel was a beast from 1968-70. Points were more spread out in 1970-71.

Reactions: uky8unc5
In the 1969-1970 season, Rupps team set the school record for PS/G at 96.8. That's incredible considering there was not a three-point shot in college basketball at the time. In fact, Rupp has three of the five highest PS/G output in Kentucky history:

1. 1969-70: 96.8
2. 1970-71: 95.4
5. 1968-69: 90.8

Dan Issel was a beast from 1968-70. Points were more spread out in 1970-71.
To see how many times they scored over 100 points is something considering there wasn't a 3 point shot or a shot clock. I wasn't born until 67 so I don't remember Rupp but I heard my dad talk about him. It's hard to believe this but Rupp is really underappreciated and underrated as a coach even with all of his accomplishments.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT