ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky at Jacksonville State (Friday)

Comebakatz3

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2008
Too excited for opening day not to start bright and early. We don't know much of anything new yet about what we might see for UK regarding lineup and rotation, but I think we largely know the likely scenarios. The one thing we know for sure is that Cole Stupp will toe the rubber for UK this afternoon.

UK will face Reid Fagerstrom tonight. This is a huge surprise. Fagerstrom is a 6'1 sophomore righty. He appeared in just 5 games out of the bullpen a year ago where he pitched for just 4 innings carried a 22.50 ERA and gave up 11 runs on 7 hits with 6 walks and 3 strikeouts. I don't know what kind of major strides he made from last year, but to go from 4 innings pitched to Friday starter is a huge jump. UK hitters should have a field day and take advantage of his inexperience.

The whole weekend starting list is a surprise actually. The Gamecocks return 2 weekend starters and yet neither of them will be expected to start this weekend. Senior Colin Casey started 13 of 14 games he appeared in a year ago and had a 3.63 ERA. Not listed as a starter this weekend. Don't know if there was an injury or what. The other not listed as a start is junior Isaiah Magwood. Magwood is now listed as a two-way player who will pitch and play outfield. Last year he appeared in 16 games on the mound and started 11 and carried a 5.03 ERA over 48 innings of work. Opponents hit just .250 against him.

So, rather than those two JSU is reporting that tomorrow we'll see freshman 6 foot righty Tanner Jones. Then on Sunday we'll see 6 foot sophomore righty Camden Lovrich. Lovrich had 22 appearances a year ago and 2 starts. He pitched 36 innings and carried a 4.50 ERA and opponents hit .275 against him.

At the plate UK will need to be careful with catcher Alex Carignan. He hit .374 a year ago to lead all Gamecock hitters. He isn't a huge power guy with just 3 home runs, but he works the count and gets on base and gets base hits a whole lot. He will be a big spark to their offense. Outfielder Carson Crowe will also be a big spark to their offense, he hit .299 a year ago with 7 home runs and 16 doubles. 2B Cole Fredrick and 1B Alex Strachan both bring some power with 6 home runs each a year ago with Cole hitting .286 and Strachan hitting .254. They also return a solid defensive shortstop, but he didn't prove to be a great stick.

I look for this to be a series that UK should sweep, but this isn't a bad team by any means. They went to a regional final in 2019, so they know how to play high level baseball and win. They struggled some last year going 26-27 while hitting .281 as a team and having a team ERA of 4.30. We will see how they do bouncing back from a poor year, but again, it should be a series that UK wins and that they should probably take a 3-0 record away from.

Curious how we do today. Hopefully we get off to a good start. Mingione should have a lot riding on this year.

Curious how we do today. Hopefully we get off to a good start. Mingione should have a lot riding on this year.

Today is crawling by.

As I mentioned, UK will face a sophomore that doesn't have much experience. Fagerstrom is from Georgia and he was the 15th best righty to come out of the state in 2020 and a top 210 righty in the nation. He was throwing low 90s out of high school, so that might have ticked up a bit as a sophomore after going through college weight programs.

He played his summer baseball in the M.I.N.K. League (which I have never heard of) where he was the 2021 league Pitcher of the Year. He threw 29 innings, gave up just 4 earned runs, struck out 55, walked 5. He started 7 games, threw 2 complete and had a 0.92 ERA. The MINK league seems to cater to some lesser schools and JUCO players. I looked at the roster of the winning team in the league and Missouri State was probably the best/biggest school on the roster; I hadn't heard of 95 percent of the schools listed on the roster.

Still, 0.92 is impressive no matter how you cut it. He may have grown up a good deal since last season, but I think it is someone UK shouldn't have an issue getting hits against. I don't think Stupp should really have anyone on their roster to fear, none will be major home run threats. So, he should be able to fill up the strike zone and let his defense do the work.

Would like to see UK get about 7+ runs while giving up fewer than 3.

Ohh, and according to PG, it seems like Fagerstrom is the type of pitcher to work exclusively from the stretch.

Only pitched and hit at the event, primary righthanded pitcher, works only from the stretch while taking his arm back to a compact arm action up to a high 3/4 arm slot, sits on back leg and drives to the plate leading with his front hip, stays online to the plate, releases with intent. Fastball topped out at 88 mph with frequent cutting action, mixed in a slider with side to side bite, overpowered the hitters he faced in this outing and filled up the strike zone well. Righthanded hitter, takes a leg lift trigger into contact, flashed strength off of the barrel when on time. Good student. Named to 2019 Sunshine Gulf Coast Top Prospect List. Verbal commitment to Georgia State.

Good thing they’re not at home today. Weather is horrible.

The weather is why this is kind of a silly trip. It will be around 39 degrees there at first pitch and likely not getting much warmer. So, we went on the road to a place that isn't all that much warmer than Lexington just to play a team that isn't really even great competition. Going somewhere warmer makes sense, or going somewhere that we play a high quality team makes sense. We're not really doing either with this road trip.

Could have played someone like East Carolina, who is ranked and where the weather is currently 69 and will be high 50s tomorrow. Or someone like College of Charleston, who isn't ranked, but they are a quality program and the weather is much nicer than central Alabama.

Reactions: delk4three
The weather is why this is kind of a silly trip. It will be around 39 degrees there at first pitch and likely not getting much warmer. So, we went on the road to a place that isn't all that much warmer than Lexington just to play a team that isn't really even great competition. Going somewhere warmer makes sense, or going somewhere that we play a high quality team makes sense. We're not really doing either with this road trip.

Could have played someone like East Carolina, who is ranked and where the weather is currently 69 and will be high 50s tomorrow. Or someone like College of Charleston, who isn't ranked, but they are a quality program and the weather is much nicer than central Alabama.
I think it's more to do with "who can we beat so we look good".......my job is on the line.

It's more that mentality. Sorry....I call it like I see it.

It is finally here, my Big Blue Baseball Brethren!

Looks like I do have a link that should work for a video stream, so I will put that up here in a couple hours around first pitch.

Lineup looks a good bit different than I thought it might. Ritter led off the fall game, so I thought it was possible he could be there. Not sure how I feel about it.

Then 4, 5, 6 is a surprise. Not who is there, but just the order of them. Would moreso expect it to be Anu, Fogel, Estep, but we'll see how it works out.

New CF in 9 spot, isn't he supposed to be a base stealer? Of course, it is not that unusual to put a fast runner at no. 9, to help the top of the order. Reds did that a few times with Billy Hamilton. Of course, one reason was the Reds' Hamilton could hit major league pitching about as well as Broadway's Hamilton, Lin Manuel Miranda

• Haha
Reactions: Comebakatz3
New CF in 9 spot, isn't he supposed to be a base stealer? Of course, it is not that unusual to put a fast runner at no. 9, to help the top of the order. Reds did that a few times with Billy Hamilton. Of course, one reason was the Reds' Hamilton could hit major league pitching about as well as Broadway's Hamilton, Lin Manuel Miranda

Thrasher led the nation in stolen bases per game. However, I think he's struggled to hit the ball and that's why he is so low in the lineup. It could be a big boost when he gets on base to have him distracting the pitcher while Ritter hits, but he has to get on to have that effect. If it is anything like years past, expect him to try to bunt an unreasonable amount of times.

Thrasher led the nation in stolen bases per game. However, I think he's struggled to hit the ball and that's why he is so low in the lineup. It could be a big boost when he gets on base to have him distracting the pitcher while Ritter hits, but he has to get on to have that effect. If it is anything like years past, expect him to try to bunt an unreasonable amount of times.
I like Thrasher at 9th.
Fogel batting 4th surprises me a bit.
Relieved, at least for today, that Anu is DH and not in the OF.

Huh a new baseball announcer filing in for Headrick. Andrew something. Got distracted and missed the last name. No Dick Gabriel.

I respect Dick Gabriel but good grief. Listening to him call a baseball game is as exciting as watching paint dry while getting a root canal.

Yea, he is solid as a pre-game guy and I like him and his stories, but he's very dry and not the best voice for baseball.

This new guy sounds pretty good.

Ritter goes down swinging. He was ahead 3-1 but couldn't find the bases.

Jump hits a single to right, past the second baseman.

Plastiak strikes out on a 2-2 pitch. Swinging.

Fogel also strikes out swinging on 2-2.

Stupp hits the leadoff hitter but wipes him away with a double play. Then a base hit up the middle. A diving stop by Estep pops out of the glove for an infield hit. Runners at first and second two outs. Double over Thasher's head scores 2 runs.

2-0 Jacksonville State

How's Estep look? As transformed as Mingione stated? I'm just listening right now.

Well…should only get better after three Ks in the first and giving up two.

Estep draws a walk to lead it off. Estep bluffing the steal. Anu also ahead as JSU pitcher struggling to find the zone. Full count 2 run home run on the hit and run.

2-2

Anu is an interesting hitter. Had 8 home runs last year, which isn't a ton, but when he hits them they are no doubters.

Rubalcaba falls behind but he gets a base hit through the left side. Bottom of the lineup doing work here and taking advantage of poor control.

Thrasher fans at a bunt attempt and then a 0-2 passed ball advances everyone a base. He strikes out and is thrown out on the ball in the turf.

That was awful from Thrasher. Wiffed on a bunt that the pitch was in the zone and swung at two pitches that didn’t even get to the plate

Reactions: Jeff12wb
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT