ADVERTISEMENT

Keep Cal

kyhankypanky

Junior
Gold Member
Mar 21, 2004
I have been suggesting Cal needs to go for at least several seasons now.

I have also been a critic of Mitch for putting us in this mess, along with other horrible decisions on his part.

But at this point, I actually think it may be better to let Cal have one more season to leave on his terms. I know this will anger many of you. It would have angered me yesterday. But here's why, and you'll understand neither is an endorsement of Cal or Mitch.

1. I assume it will allow UK to significantly restructure or void Cal's lifetime contract. I assume this is primarily what UK gains here. Cal doesn't want the shame of being fired, and this allows him to save face. The $ saved is significant and would allow UK to buy out another coach, attract a better future coach with higher salary, and/or creatively funnel the savings to NIL.

2. It will allow more time to secure a future coach. There is no way MB should make this decision himself (or have much input honestly), so this will take some time. I foresee others playing a bigger role if this is spread into 2025. I know that next season would likely be dismal under such a delayed scenario. I don't like this, and it would have been avoided if MB was more proactive. But he wasn't.

3. It will maintain good will between coach Cal, the UK program, and his former players. We may not enjoy feeling hostage here, but Cal's former players are a huge asset to the program, in terms of future donations but mostly publicity and marketing. We should avoid alienating them, and if retaining Cal an extra year does so, it is worth the short-term pain (but see point #2).

The alternative is to fire Cal, owe him a $hit load of money, quickly engage in a search where Mitch potentially makes a hire with a more limited bankroll and fewer options, and one where Cal and his players feel alienated from the program. I would rather delay the inevitable by one season because the advantages of doing so (points 1-3) promise a better future.

I offer this in part to give people some hope if it indeed comes to fruition.

But I get the anger. Trust me. And let me reiterate, I only say this IF Cal restructures and stays on 1 more season. Otherwise, forget it.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News