ADVERTISEMENT

Just destroy collegiate athletics, why don't ya?

Ah yes the horror of wanting to get a cut of the money when someone uses you to make money.

What’s next, people asking to get paid for doing work?!

Reactions: TM2013
I literally just stated in my post why its a problem. These players knew when they played in college at the time they were not going to be allowed to have NIL rights. That was a provision for them accepting the benefits of the scholarships at their respective institutions. Now they want to turn back the clock and retroactively apply NCAA bylaws that did not exist during their time playing. That's ridiculous. If its allowed to stand you can basically kill off every institution in the NCAA because it will invite a flood other lawsuits for ANY player who is still alive that played Division 1 ball in any sport. And at the end of the day how is that beneficial to future student athletes? You might just end up killing the golden goose at that point because as we've seen with the G-League, XFL, USFL, UFL, etc. minor league sports do not draw eyeballs of the casual television viewer en masse to be heavily profitable.

I'm not upset about the change. It's what it is and if I get tired of all the chatter/what things are becoming I'll just tune out. I'm not going to go into the streets and riot or destroy things. But what I am upset about is people who have sour grapes about the past trying to act like they were victimized by being given special privilges during this time in college already that were WELL beyond those afforded to other students.
Im sure your argument here will try to be made in court and lose for good reason because you're arguing logic leads to that if you sign up to work at amazon, walmart, food factories etc etc etc then they can take you in and make you a slave and take away your human rights as long as you know those are bad places to work. Yeah US law doesnt work that way.

I literally just stated in my post why its a problem. These players knew when they played in college at the time they were not going to be allowed to have NIL rights. That was a provision for them accepting the benefits of the scholarships at their respective institutions. Now they want to turn back the clock and retroactively apply NCAA bylaws that did not exist during their time playing. That's ridiculous. If its allowed to stand you can basically kill off every institution in the NCAA because it will invite a flood other lawsuits for ANY player who is still alive that played Division 1 ball in any sport. And at the end of the day how is that beneficial to future student athletes? You might just end up killing the golden goose at that point because as we've seen with the G-League, XFL, USFL, UFL, etc. minor league sports do not draw eyeballs of the casual television viewer en masse to be heavily profitable.

I'm not upset about the change. It's what it is and if I get tired of all the chatter/what things are becoming I'll just tune out. I'm not going to go into the streets and riot or destroy things. But what I am upset about is people who have sour grapes about the past trying to act like they were victimized by being given special privilges during this time in college already that were WELL beyond those afforded to other students.
If they want the rules changed retroactively so they can get money, then have the NCAA change their rules and have everyone pay for their tuition, room and board, etc., just like regular students. It is all about the players now. If they're getting NIL, then they can pay, too.

EDIT: Do most people realize that the concept of NIL started out as something completely DIFFERENT than what it has turned out to be? Well, it has.

Last edited:
Except jobs don't give you free room and food. Even pro athletes have to pay for their own housing and lifestyle. I'm perfectly fine with revoking scholarships and making athletes who get NIL pay their own way through school.
I agree. I said the same thing in my post.

• Love
Reactions: NociHTTP
Coming up with a solution for college athletics is pretty tough.

Football and basketball are their own animal as no other sport makes money
Title IX requires you to pay for all of these programs that lose tons of money

I've always said to make them university employees instead of pretending they're legit students (In general, they are not; the football and basketball players at least).

Last edited:
Ah yes the horror of wanting to get a cut of the money when someone uses you to make money.

What’s next, people asking to get paid for doing work?!
Scholarship <--> Basketball Player

That was the agreement. I take it you're not much of a college hoops fan?

If they want the rules changed retroactively so they can get money, then have the NCAA change their rules and have everyone pay for their tuition, room and board, etc., just like regular students. It is all about the players now. If they're getting NIL, then they can pay, too.

EDIT: Do most people realize that the concept of NIL started out as something completely DIFFERENT than what it has turned out to be? Well, it has.
I'm all for just making these players "employees" now. If you don't make the grades, you're suspended and then fired. You're no longer able to participate in practices or games. Expelled from campus, if you re-enter you're trespassing. Maybe have to pay the money back. You're here for education. If you don't play, then you're fired and you owe every penny back and you're immediately expelled from campus. If this is the game they want to play.

Reactions: susan2361
Hmm, have to clarify what you’re saying. What I’m saying is

He’s a lightening rod coach who causes problems wherever he goes. He left for a rival. He took the team. He had a pitiful 5 years here and never admitted it once. He took shots at a blue blood fanbase. He literally left a few months ago and we compete against him this season.

Just trying to figure out in what world this isn’t going to get bashed and talked about on a sports forum. Maybe I’m missing something?
I fully expect his dogs to end up in a fist fight with some local pigs over the way Cal tries to turn Arky into an NBA farm.

Scholarship <--> Basketball Player

That was the agreement. I take it you're not much of a college hoops fan?
This argument has lost. There’s no use in grasping to straws of the past.

Reform will happen though.. slowly. And players will continue to be paid. They always have been. It’s only a modicum more transparent now.

I am quickly losing respect for these players. It's ME ME ME, GIMME GIMME GIMME. Why can't people just accept the circumstances they were given, and work to improve their own poslition in life instead of suing others?
So you’re just upset the players finally have some power?

I'm all for just making these players "employees" now. If you don't make the grades, you're suspended and then fired. You're no longer able to participate in practices or games. Expelled from campus, if you re-enter you're trespassing. Maybe have to pay the money back. You're here for education. If you don't play, then you're fired and you owe every penny back and you're immediately expelled from campus. If this is the game they want to play.
Lol, you’re the one who comes across as a kid.

While this is winding its way through the courts, the schools should be preparing a new paradigm that doesn't include official sports.

In 2-3 years, shut down all official sports. Im not kidding in the least. This isn't fun and I'm sick of these kids getting away with murder. Since they seem to think its all about them, hand over the entire mess to them.

Why would they do that or even want to?

Agree. But also the fact that windfall TV revenue has increased dramatically plays into the problem( opportunity). It just wasn’t fair for the players not to share in that revenue when the coaches, administrators,and colleges were receiving all of the windfall . The schools in the fifties and sixties were just trying to find a way to finance college sports . Four year grant in aide as fair . Then came huge amounts of TV money .
Most college sports don't even offer full rides. The full rides came in Basketball and Football because it was bringing in a windfall for the NCAA. The players were being used for financial gain. Glad to see them get a piece of the pie, but you will see a new landscape of teams if some kind of regulations are not put into place.

• Sad
Reactions: NociHTTP
There is validity to both sides.

There are nearly 200,000 Division I athletes. The top NIL earners (and people in this lawsuit) make up a VERY SMALL percentage.

Athletes SHOULD be able to profit off of their NIL.

However, what is happening now went from "they aren't allowed to do anything" to "directly paying them" in 2 years. Part of that is the NCAA's lack to change over the years - but part of it is just crazy. And these lawsuits are a big part of it. Don't like a rule? Just sue and they will change it.

But the people who are think these college athletes are getting "mistreated" are crazy. If you don't think the value of tuition, cost of attendance, etc. isn't of value -- then they shouldn't go to college, they should go play overseas, etc. Most of those 200,000 DI student athletes do want the education and value it.

Coming up with a solution for college athletics is pretty tough.

Football and basetball are their own animal as no other sport makes money
Title IX requires you to pay for all of these programs that lose tons of money

I've always said to make them university employees instead of pretending they're legit students (In general, they are not; the football and basketball players at least).
You mean basketball?

There is validity to both sides.

There are nearly 200,000 Division I athletes. The top NIL earners (and people in this lawsuit) make up a VERY SMALL percentage.

Athletes SHOULD be able to profit off of their NIL.

However, what is happening now went from "they aren't allowed to do anything" to "directly paying them" in 2 years. Part of that is the NCAA's lack to change over the years - but part of it is just crazy. And these lawsuits are a big part of it. Don't like a rule? Just sue and they will change it.

But the people who are think these college athletes are getting "mistreated" are crazy. If you don't think the value of tuition, cost of attendance, etc. isn't of value -- then they shouldn't go to college, they should go play overseas, etc. Most of those 200,000 DI student athletes do want the education and value it.
There aren’t two sides. Many sides if we are being accurate.

But the system being inconsistent and players getting paid for NIL are two different issues. The NCAA has failed at both, sadly.

You mean basketball?
No, I mean baseketball.

iu

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT