ADVERTISEMENT

June 20, 1975 Jaws opens in theaters

Family vacation to Florida kept us out of the ocean thanks to that film.

Skipped out from high school early and went downtown to the old United Artist/Penthouse movie theater (now the sight of the Louisville Palace) and watched Jaws. I had already read the book, but the movie scared the crap out of 16-year-old me.

Definitely in my Top 10 movies. Robert Shaw was born to play Quint. The USS Indianapolis speech still gives me goosebumps.

Reactions: mdlUK.1
Without question, in my top 10 favorites ever. I watched a documentary on the filming of it and it's wild how many challenges they had producing it. Just an incredible movie, and it has aged well.

I enlisted in the USN in September of 1975 and had never seen Jaws. In the final week of boot camp the graduating class is given the priviledge of viewing a movie. Yes, they showed us Jaws.

• Haha
Reactions: J_Dee
eats megalodon GIF

A top 10 movie for me as well. I never saw it on the big screen until a few years ago. It is definitely a movie that is better on the big screen.

Reactions: J_Dee
A top 10 movie for me as well. I never saw it on the big screen until a few years ago. It is definitely a movie that is better on the big screen.

Definitely. I don't know how in the hell I missed every single Jaws movie as a kid (HBO was my third parent), but I didn't see Jaws until a few years ago, at Cinemark in Richmond. And it was great.

Edit: "A few years ago" was, according to my ticket stub, 2015. Time flies.

Last edited:
Reactions: christophero
The first 2/3s of the movie is a great film. It is a masterclass at building tension and dread. The final 3rd pushes it to a masterpiece with every shot and line being iconic.

Slow ahead? I can go slow ahead. Come down here and chum some of this shit.......

Reactions: christophero
I use to like going out as far in the ocean as I could while touching the bottom. Each wave would lift you up. These movies along with real shark attacks keep me a lot closer to shore. Found out a shark (small one) attacked someone (bit their hand) when I was at Daytona Beach a while back and I was out in the water a lot that day. Had something hard hit my leg one time in like chest deep water and I immediately felt like Richard Pryor in The Toy. Probably was just seaweed but I wasn't going to find out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT