ADVERTISEMENT

JT Toppin in the Portal (New Mexico PF)- SIAP

Eight_Banners

Blue Chip Prospect
Apr 4, 2012
JT Toppin is in the portal and is currently the best available player. Here are his numbers:

Position: Forward
6-9, 210lb

Player Efficiency Rating (PER): 27.4 ------ For reference, #10 overall in PER in 2023-24 was Drew Pember (30.7); Amari Williams (28.5)

Per 100 Possessions:
FG: 62% (tied with Edey)
2PT: 66% (better than Donovan Clingan)
3PT: 34% --- not much of a 3PT threat
Reb: 18.8 (just behind Johni Broome)
Blk: 3.9 (tied with Edey)

ORtg: 131.8 (Clingan 135.3; Edey 135; Koby Brea 134.5)
DRtg: 93.8 (Better than Edey, just below Amari Williams 92.1)

Here's a highlight video: Dude has a motor

OF NOTE
• 2023-24 Mountain West Freshman of the Year and 2nd Team All-Mountain West
• Led the Mountain West in FG% (.623), rebounds (9.1), offensive rebounds (3.67) and blocks (1.9) during his freshman season
• FG% of .623 ranks in the top 20 all-time by a freshman in NCAA Division I history

2023-24 SEASON (FRESHMAN)
• Mountain West Freshman of the Year (media, co-FOY coaches)
• 2nd Team All-Mountain West (media and coaches)
• All-Mountain West Tournament Team
• Finalist for Kyle Macy National Freshman of the Year
• Record-tying nine-time Mountain West Freshman of the Week
• Appeared in all 36 games, starting the final 35
• Averaged 12.4 points, 9.1 rebounds and 1.9 blocks per game
• Led the Mountain West in FG% (.623), rebounds (9.1), offensive rebounds (3.67) and blocks (1.9)
• Led all freshmen nationally in FG% and double-doubles (12)
• Set UNM freshman record for double-doubles, rebounds and blocks
• FG% of .623 ranks in the top 20 all-time by a freshman in NCAA Division I history
• Had 23 double-figure scoring games and 17 double-figure rebounding games
• First Lobo freshman in history to have consecutive double-doubles (did it twice) and to have multiple double-doubles against ranked opponents
• Scored a season-high 27 points (11-12 FG) vs. Toledo in Ball Dawgs Classic (Nov. 21)
• Had 17 points, 16 rebounds (9 offensive to tie UNM freshman record) and five blocks vs. No. 19 San Diego State (Jan. 13)
• Had 23 points and 13 rebounds at Air Force for first 20-and-10 game by a UNM freshman in history (Jan. 20)
• Had 13 points and 11 rebounds vs. San Diego State in MW Tournament Final (Mar. 16)

Source

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox2monk
I would really like to have him.

9 rpg as a Freshman is really good.

34% from 3 as a Freshman big man is really good.

I’d take him now to round out our frontcourt.

Seniors Carr and Williams, backed up with Sophomores Toppin and Garrison. Around 20 minutes for each. That’s a first class frontcourt.

I would really like to have him.

9 rpg as a Freshman is really good.

34% from 3 as a Freshman big man is really good.

I’d take him now to round out our frontcourt.

Seniors Carr and Williams, backed up with Sophomores Toppin and Garrison. Around 20 minutes for each. That’s a first class frontcourt.
He plays the same position as Osobor. Do you tell Osobor we need an answer now because we can't wait 10 days on Toppin. Or do they just try and get Toppin and let the chips fall? Toppin would be harder to get with Osobor a possibility. How do the coaches handle this situation in the best way?

He plays the same position as Osobor. Do you tell Osobor we need an answer now because we can't wait 10 days on Toppin. Or do they just try and get Toppin and let the chips fall? Toppin would be harder to get with Osobor a possibility. How do the coaches handle this situation in the best way?
I go and talk with Toppin, gauge his interest, and then tell Osobor we need an answer. I would take Toppin over Osobor. He's two years younger and has better numbers.

Like what I said earlier Yes or no from Great before he leaves if not Get on that jet with a check make him a Wildcat

You gotta speed up the timeline on Osobor. Topin won't last very long in the portal. Osobor needs to commit, if he needs to visit all of these other trash schools after seeing UK, maybe he should look elsewhere.

I’ve noticed that we want to get EVERY player in the portal, it seems.
I guess we would have some good depth.

🤣🤣

Reactions: susan2361
I go and talk with Toppin, gauge his interest, and then tell Osobor we need an answer. I would take Toppin over Osobor. He's two years younger and has better numbers.
Two years younger isn't necessarily an attribute these days, though.

Reactions: Fox2monk
JT Toppin is in the portal and is currently the best available player. Here are his numbers:

Position: Forward
6-9, 210lb

Player Efficiency Rating (PER): 27.4 ------ For reference, #10 overall in PER in 2023-24 was Drew Pember (30.7); Amari Williams (28.5)

Per 100 Possessions:
FG: 62% (tied with Edey)
2PT: 66% (better than Donovan Clingan)
3PT: 34% --- not much of a 3PT threat
Reb: 18.8 (just behind Johni Broome)
Blk: 3.9 (tied with Edey)

ORtg: 131.8 (Clingan 135.3; Edey 135; Koby Brea 134.5)
DRtg: 93.8 (Better than Edey, just below Amari Williams 92.1)

Here's a highlight video: Dude has a motor
On JT Toppin:

• 2023-24 Mountain West Freshman of the Year and 2nd Team All-Mountain West
• Led the Mountain West in FG% (.623), rebounds (9.1), offensive rebounds (3.67) and blocks (1.9) during his freshman season

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue
I’ve noticed that we want to get EVERY player in the portal, it seems.
I guess we would have some good depth.

🤣🤣
It's nice to watch a coach put together a team, the right way. When you're looking for more than one and done's, it becomes very interesting. I just hope Coach Pope finds some time to sleep before the season starts!!🤣🤣

GO BIG BLUE AND
COACH POPE, TOO!!!💙💙💙

I don't judge someone on one game. Also, I wasn't a fan of how his coach - or lack thereof - developed and used him.
Lol..yeah Toppin had plenty of games he didn't show up. Seemed mentally weak

Great athlete though. Another Alex Poythress for me

Reactions: lazycat75
There will be 20 teams contacting Toppin. Don't see how he would last very long. At least hope we go all in because he looks like a difference maker.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT