ADVERTISEMENT

Jones update

Have you watched even a second of BYU’s offense last year? Being able to beat your man 1vs1 is CALs offense, popes system is based of movement and scheming guys open. What you just described is the dribble drive, that’s cal, that’s what we all wanted to get away from. We are away from it and people are still upset and saying the roster isn’t top 25 when they have even practiced yet or completed the roster. We don’t have a top 25 roster talent wise? Okay that’s what everybody was mad about, Kentucky had all the talent in the world and they couldn’t win anything with it. Now they have a team like the majority of college basketball and a coach who is gonna actually run stuff and people are upset. I just don’t get it, he hasn’t even coached a game yet and your already making serious judgments
Yes….I’d imagine I’ve watched more BYU games than you. I watched between 8-11 full games last year. There is a reason he lost to Duquesne. A “system” approach that entirely relies on actions to get all its shots without any players being able “to get their own shot” results in a ceiling for what a team can achieve. Frankly, that’s why those systems in most basketball circles are considered “high school basketball.” UCONN is the gold standard and look at how they operate? They ran a complex offensive system but when the shot clock in running out or periodically throughout the game: Newton and Castle could generate their own offense off the bounce. It greatly concerns me that I don’t think right now we have a single guy that can do that consistently. UCONN also had two top 10 picks this season because you do have to have a certain level of high end talent to operate any system well.

Yes….I’d imagine I’ve watched more BYU games than you. I watched between 8-11 full games last year. There is a reason he lost to Duquesne. A “system” approach that entirely relies on actions to get all its shots without any players being able “to get their own shot” results in a ceiling for what a team can achieve. Frankly, that’s why those systems in most basketball circles are considered “high school basketball.” UCONN is the gold standard and look at how they operate? They ran a complex offensive system but when the shot clock in running out or periodically throughout the game: Newton and Castle could generate their own offense off the bounce. It greatly concerns me that I don’t think right now we have a single guy that can do that consistently. UCONN also had two top 10 picks this season because you do have to have a certain level of high end talent to operate any system well.
Idk why that has me as posting that but I’m assuming that’s a glitch. Cuz I didn’t type that response to you.

If Robinson is projected 2nd round he ain't coming back.
Second round money for the first year isn't much more, if any, than NIL money and the 2nd round money is usually not guaranteed. Having a chance to maybe move into the first round the next year isn't necessarily giving away money so 2nd rounders are not as likely to be gone as they were before NIL.

I’ve watched alot of BYU games as well, they didn’t have nearly the level of player pope has gotten here, Robinson was the only guy on that roster that can play at a higher level and he is gonna end up here. As for the offense, Robinson brea, and Carr can be go to guys on any given night, Chandler is gonna be a lot better than people realize as well. They lost to Duquesne for multiple reasons, but Robinson was the only guy who showed up that game. Calipari has ingrained in people’s minds you need somebody to beat their man off the dribble every time and you don’t. Would it be cool to have a dude yes, do I think Robinson is gonna be a dude here yes. We can’t make huge overal judgments about this team until we see them play together

So you must know the roster BYU had last year. Pope didn't mainly only post up guards because he was against
posting up big guys; he didn't have any big guys who were good in the post. I don't think the top nine on BYU's roster last year compare very well to the 9 we have so far and we're not done. Pope is too smart to try to pound
square pegs into round holes so he won't be doing things exactly like he did at BYU.

Kentucky most likely won’t reach out but this guy is a bucket getter and could be somebody Kentucky keeps tabs on if Robinson doesn’t pan out

Reactions: JASUN74
You're batting 1.000 on the worthless opinions.

If I could toss you a quarter for being a good little troll monkey, I would.
cymbal-monkey.gif

"We don't have anyone who can go get a bucket with the game on the line"....

Lamont Butler hit one of the smoothest mid range swishes I have ever seen on his buzzer beater to send SDSU to the championship. Down by 1, game in his hands, highest stakes....no fear at all.

Yeah. When your offense emphasizes the 3 and you have the best shooter in the country on your team, I think that checks all the boxes.

The interesting situation BYU had last year is that the 3 was 50% of their offense AND they didn't have particularly great 3 point shooters. When they lost, it was because their ordinary shooters all went cold. Almost all of their other shots in the offense were at the rim. Pure analytics. And the interesting thing about that is they didn't have particularly great post offense. Their roster looked like a jumble shop. Their 2 post players -- Khalifa and Traore -- would give this board conniption fits.

I'm not predicting the future here or even evaluating Pope's roster, I'm just asking people to look for themselves before they moan and groan. Why trust some numnuts with a web site or one of the ESPN loud talkers? Don't even trust me. Look for yourselves.

So what's you reasoning thr Y beat KU , Baylor, Texas, NCSt and several others and gaineda5/6 seed. Go look up the segment where Sampson says BYU runs the most difficult to guard offense in the country. "Calipari University " is GONE!!!! BE happy, we are going to be fine. I too watch 10-11 BYU games and I'm TOTALLY happy Pope is here.

I think a couple of our players will exceed expectations and 1 or two may not live up to expectations. We need at least one guy who can score outside but can score at other levels and a true point guard

Reactions: bookerfan66
He's 51 and has been coaching 15 years. 9 as HC. And that's after playing professionally for almost 20 years. I suspect he knows what he wants.
He certainly knows what he wants but that still doesn't mean things won't change from before.
For instance, somebody pointed out that Pope didn't like to post up his big men at BYU, that it was normally a guard he would post up. But maybe that was because he didn't have any good post up big men. I can't see him keeping Williams or Garrison outside the 3 point line and when we feed the post it will either be one of them or Carr, who is excellent at posting up. If he really is a good and smart coach then he will not do things exactly as he did at BYU because now he access to different kinds of players.

I was talking more about the go to guy to get a bucket when things go wrong. Robinson would be that guy but right now I don't see that guy.
That's really not necessary or something that's ever attainable. And it's fairly narrow minded thinking.

If there was a guy who could be counted on with regularity to get a bucket anytime the team needed, his name would be Michael Jordan or Larry Bird. Beyond that, it's a team game. You just need the team to get a bucket when things go bad.

Reactions: JASUN74 and TM2013

Lamont Butler hit one of the smoothest mid range swishes I have ever seen on his buzzer beater to send SDSU to the championship. Down by 1, game in his hands, highest stakes....no fear at all.
Let me respond:

Watch and see.

I like Krisa as a work plug off the bench more . Butler to me can set tones for games with defense and improved offense
I’m calling it now, you’re going to end up Butlers biggest fan and telling everyone how wrong you were and are eating crow with a side of fries. Hahaha. You may be right brother but man that guy is a flat out killer when he gets determined. I’m sure you have already, but go back and watch some actual games and I think you’ll be ready to go to war with him. Now, I also love Kerr as a potential point here but I’m thinking he’s the backup if that’s his starter position hope. He and Brea would look pretty scary on the wings with Butler out front with ball in my opinion. We definitely are going to have some Blood and a damn lot of Trashcans full of (stuff),haha, when these guys start fighting for playing time. I absolutely love that though and think competition is the greatest thing in the world to bring at the very best in you. Anyway, I got you back no matter and I’m thinking we’re about to have something special this season. Thank bud.

Kentucky most likely won’t reach out but this guy is a bucket getter and could be somebody Kentucky keeps tabs on if Robinson doesn’t pan out
I would 1000% love to have him. He’s a bad man and got better everyday last year. Would work his tail off and get some good minutes here. I just don’t know if he’d be able to get enough to satisfy him but of course he could go anywhere and earn it. He’s a gamer and the kind of kid others like playing with so yeah. I’m like you though we’re probably not going there but he’d be nice in my opinion. Man he was fun to watch the 7 or 8 games I saw them last year. Never know who’s actually being prioritized by the staff though but he’s a good player. I love that confidence and dog he’s got in him for sure. Hope he makes it big wherever he ends up.

Was the money that will be saved by hiring Pope and getting rid of Kal and his contract be put into NIL? It should be. It was going to be spent(wasted) on the basketball program next season anyway.

I believe the kids say, you just won the damn internet! Haha. Probably not those words cause I can’t understand a damn thing kids say or do anymore but you get the point! lol. Butler is and is going to be a great player this season and a flat out killer! Mark it down.

Reactions: TM2013
I’m calling it now, you’re going to end up Butlers biggest fan and telling everyone how wrong you were and are eating crow with a side of fries. Hahaha. You may be right brother but man that guy is a flat out killer when he gets determined. I’m sure you have already, but go back and watch some actual games and I think you’ll be ready to go to war with him. Now, I also love Kerr as a potential point here but I’m thinking he’s the backup if that’s his starter position hope. He and Brea would look pretty scary on the wings with Butler out front with ball in my opinion. We definitely are going to have some Blood and a damn lot of Trashcans full of (stuff),haha, when these guys start fighting for playing time. I absolutely love that though and think competition is the greatest thing in the world to bring at the very best in you. Anyway, I got you back no matter and I’m thinking we’re about to have something special this season. Thank bud.
I think I mis read your comment. lol. Sorry bud.

Too many ppl are underestimating the roster for sure.

The “how are the catch and shoot guys going to get open” fear mongering is a product of the mindset that the only way to “create” open shots is off ball screens and dribble penetration with kickouts and swing passes. Ppl think that bc it’s what we’ve watched the last 15 years, but it’s also the majority of what 85%+ of teams in colllege and NBA run now.

Pope has shown that he wants a ton of off ball movement, staggered screens, zoom, multiple ppl moving off ball simultaneously, minimum ball sticking. Princeton style; similar to the Bellarmine “no dribbles” system but not as extreme/strict bc you have higher quality athletes.

Ppl are too stuck on watching a lot of 1v1 2v2 basketball that the game has mutated into…it’s actually a lot harder to defend chasing a team around the floor for 40 minutes…it just fell out of fashion bc the NBA is all about promoting “stars” bc it sells tickets and merchandise and the ball screen 1v1 game showcases those guys. So as the ppl who played on those systems become coaches…thats what they know and teach. The off ball non-stop motion and screening away takes a higher sustained effort level, higher capacity for understanding multiple concepts, more coaching/good students of the game….but extremely effective when done right. Now-a-days we’d refer to it as the “European game”…reality it’s just a loss version of basketball in the states as we overemphasized showcasing individual talent and de-emphasized high level quick ball movement to move the defense, not just to pass to an open player.

Too many ppl are underestimating the roster for sure.

The “how are the catch and shoot guys going to get open” fear mongering is a product of the mindset that the only way to “create” open shots is off ball screens and dribble penetration with kickouts and swing passes. Ppl think that bc it’s what we’ve watched the last 15 years, but it’s also the majority of what 85%+ of teams in colllege and NBA run now.

Pope has shown that he wants a ton of off ball movement, staggered screens, zoom, multiple ppl moving off ball simultaneously, minimum ball sticking. Princeton style; similar to the Bellarmine “no dribbles” system but not as extreme/strict bc you have higher quality athletes.

Ppl are too stuck on watching a lot of 1v1 2v2 basketball that the game has mutated into…it’s actually a lot harder to defend chasing a team around the floor for 40 minutes…it just fell out of fashion bc the NBA is all about promoting “stars” bc it sells tickets and merchandise and the ball screen 1v1 game showcases those guys. So as the ppl who played on those systems become coaches…thats what they know and teach. The off ball non-stop motion and screening away takes a higher sustained effort level, higher capacity for understanding multiple concepts, more coaching/good students of the game….but extremely effective when done right. Now-a-days we’d refer to it as the “European game”…reality it’s just a loss version of basketball in the states as we overemphasized showcasing individual talent and de-emphasized high level quick ball movement to move the defense, not just to pass to an open player.
Well done sir SPOT ON

Have you watched even a second of BYU’s offense last year? Being able to beat your man 1vs1 is CALs offense, popes system is based of movement and scheming guys open. What you just described is the dribble drive, that’s cal, that’s what we all wanted to get away from. We are away from it and people are still upset and saying the roster isn’t top 25 when they have even practiced yet or completed the roster. We don’t have a top 25 roster talent wise? Okay that’s what everybody was mad about, Kentucky had all the talent in the world and they couldn’t win anything with it. Now they have a team like the majority of college basketball and a coach who is gonna actually run stuff and people are upset. I just don’t get it, he hasn’t even coached a game yet and your already making serious judgments
BROTHER, you are absolutely correct, ignore clowns like this that literally have no clue how the game should be played, Calamari horrific game/basketball coach, period therefore he resorted to try and out athlete his opponent and we all witnessed how that went. Guy will be exposed if not next year, soon after.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT