ADVERTISEMENT

Jones update

Robinson being your best player isn't good by Kentucky standards. He is probably gonna go undrafted this year, or late 2nd round at best. That being your best player at Kentucky is a problem. Thankfully we don't have to worry about so much youth anymore. That said, you're not competing for titles with Robinson being your best player, regardless.
I mostly tend to agree. Unless another potential NBA type is added later, we are going to need Robinson as well as Chandler to make buckets if we are to have a good season imo. Hopefully Chandler isn’t too rusty.

I mostly tend to agree. Unless another potential NBA type is added later, we are going to need Robinson as well as Chandler to make buckets if we are to have a good season imo. Hopefully Chandler isn’t too rusty.

Some dudes will need to step up for the current roster to compete next year. We're all talking about Robinson like he's already on the roster, too. Nope. I just hate knowing we are rolling in with Butler as our starting PG next year. Kid is far from dynamic. I could see taking him in late April at BYU, but at UK? I don't get some of the staff moves at lead guard this portal season.

False what? Robinson is on a mock draft at 38 and is solidly a second round pick, he ain’t going undrafted

I highlighted it in bold for you.

And I meant compete for a championship. Obviously winning is another thing. Only 1 team does that every season.

I highlighted it in bold for you.

And I meant compete for a championship. Obviously winning is another thing. Only 1 team does that every season.
Gotcha. I meant winning a national title, they weren’t doing that year one. The team they have can compete and will, now will they be a top 5-10 team, time will tell on that

Someone posted family trip by Pope's daughters moving. Who knows.

Robinson being your best player isn't good by Kentucky standards. He is probably gonna go undrafted this year, or late 2nd round at best. That being your best player at Kentucky is a problem. Thankfully we don't have to worry about so much youth anymore. That said, you're not competing for titles with Robinson being your best player, regardless.

Then again, some UK fans have reserved to the fact that next year is a rebuild year anyway. If that's how they feel, cool, I just disagree. Thought we could load up in the portal this year and compete now. We still may. Current roster has 0 stars though.
Are there any players from the portal that will be #1 options on a title contender?

Reactions: 9timeChampion
Are there any players from the portal that will be #1 options on a title contender?

I'd have to look. There are some available that could help get a close team over the top. At the end of the day, you could buy a top portal team with enough NIL money to compete every season. Obviously that doesn't mean you will win, but it gives you a great chance.

Arkansas was horrid this year, and they had a great portal class on paper. You will always have exceptions. I get what you're saying though, it does make it harder starting from scratch, but it could be done with enough NIL money.

I'd have to look. There are some available that could help get a close team over the top. At the end of the day, you could buy a top portal team with enough NIL money to compete every season. Obviously that doesn't mean you will win, but it gives you a great chance.

Arkansas was horrid this year, and they had a great portal class on paper. You will always have exceptions. I get what you're saying though, it does make it harder starting from scratch, but it could be done with enough NIL money.
Yeah. I totally expected that team to compete. Maybe a chemistry thing.

Cal will roll out his freshmen and they will get rolled under the pressure of older and experienced players.

I don’t get this too high of a price tag shit.
The money is there. Just buy the team you want

Reactions: Fox2monk
They are going to add a current draft participation to the bench?
Yeah that was the one bullet point I question. If we get Robinson and one other player who pull out of the draft, there’s no way they aren’t starting caliber in that scenario. Seems more likely it’s Robinson and then a depth piece who isn’t in the draft if that’s the plan.

I still think one more PF is a good idea. Carr is really our only one. Garrison and Williams more centers, and Oweh is physical but only 6-5.

Villanova is another. They were ranked among the best portal classes last season and missed the NCAA tournament. Better than Arkansas, but still a disappointment. West Virginia had to get 10 new players out of the portal and finished with a losing record.

I think we fans need to pump the breaks on expectations for next season. I believe we’ll be a tournament team and probably a top 25 most of the year, but it’s really hard to win big with a whole new roster and staff. A lot can go wrong. That’s one reason I want Robinson on the team, is it will give us at least one non-coach who can help all the other players learn the system.

I’m never gonna bash a kid willing to come off the bench for us in his last year of college basketball. Of course there are bigger names and better players but he’s ours now and I think people will love him.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Some dudes will need to step up for the current roster to compete next year. We're all talking about Robinson like he's already on the roster, too. Nope. I just hate knowing we are rolling in with Butler as our starting PG next year. Kid is far from dynamic. I could see taking him in late April at BYU, but at UK? I don't get some of the staff moves at lead guard this portal season.
Kid is a winner, he’s the least worry I have about the roster.

Villanova is another. They were ranked among the best portal classes last season and missed the NCAA tournament. Better than Arkansas, but still a disappointment. West Virginia had to get 10 new players out of the portal and finished with a losing record.

I think we fans need to pump the breaks on expectations for next season. I believe we’ll be a tournament team and probably a top 25 most of the year, but it’s really hard to win big with a whole new roster and staff. A lot can go wrong. That’s one reason I want Robinson on the team, is it will give us at least one non-coach who can help all the other players learn the system.
That is true, granted our transfers are probably better overall but you never know how a team will turn out. We at least have a foundation to build on though.

If Robinson is projected 2nd round he ain't coming back.
Would like to see Peterson come in this year and play the 2 spot. He would likely be the best player on the team. Also bring Riley in for spot minutes at the stretch 4.

Butler
Peterson
Brea
Carr
Williams

If Robinson is projected 2nd round he ain't coming back.
Would like to see Peterson come in this year and play the 2 spot. He would likely be the best player on the team. Also bring Riley in for spot minutes at the stretch 4.

Butler
Peterson
Brea
Carr
Williams
2nd rd does not get guaranteed money. Better off coming back for a year getting NIL money and try to get more exposure at a much higher profile school.

Yeah that was the one bullet point I question. If we get Robinson and one other player who pull out of the draft, there’s no way they aren’t starting caliber in that scenario. Seems more likely it’s Robinson and then a depth piece who isn’t in the draft if that’s the plan.

I still think one more PF is a good idea. Carr is really our only one. Garrison and Williams more centers, and Oweh is physical but only 6-5.
I think Johnson could play 2 - 4 if we needed him to. Otega can play some small ball 4 as well.

A really fun lineup on offense would he Carr at the 5, Robinson at the 4, Otega at the 3, Brea at the 2 and Kriisa at the 1. That group should be able to score a lot of points.

Reactions: catfan220

Then again, some UK fans have reserved to the fact that next year is a rebuild year anyway. If that's how they feel, cool, I just disagree. Thought we could load up in the portal this year and compete now. We still may. Current roster has 0 stars though.
So you expect a first rounder to drop out of the draft to play another year of college? Robinson will be one of the best players in college basketball next season if he forgoes the draft.

This roster, plus Robinson, absolutely can compete for both the SEC and NCAA titles. This is no rebuild. We don't need flashy first round freshmen to win.

MJ is as useless as tits on a boar hog.
Why is it some of you folks can’t stand Matt Jones? He obviously has some sort of connection with the coaches on both football and basketball now.

I mean if he were told something you think he’s going to come out and blab about it? Lol

If he spills the beans then he no longer gets the information he’s been getting.

You think that he doesn’t talk to Vince and Mark? The coaches know he is a necessary evil to have on their side.

Why is it some of you folks can’t stand Matt Jones? He obviously has some sort of connection with the coaches on both football and basketball now.

I mean if he were told something you think he’s going to come out and blab about it? Lol

If he spills the beans then he no longer gets the information he’s been getting.

You think that he doesn’t talk to Vince and Mark? The coaches know he is a necessary evil to have on their side.
He generally throws shit on the walls and hopes it sticks and repeats info that was already reported and acts as if he was the 1st to report it. He is a wannabe. The national guys always have the scoop 1st and there is a reason why.

Reactions: thedahc
I get the Robinson addition. Based on the roster construction, I see a clear spot for him to start at the three. However, what NBA level talent would drop out of the draft to come off the bench here? I definitely don't see that. If anything, I think that Brea would come off the bench if we were to land such a talent.

Reactions: UKCats24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT