ADVERTISEMENT

Jon Sumrall Watch

The problem with the "handing the keys" theory is that Stoops won't be selecting the next coach. Also, Sumrall will probably have P4 opportunities this off season if he wants. Baylor, NC State, Arkansas, if they fall apart. Etc.

Reactions: ChaiseyD
Lol.

Stoops and Sumrall are very tight. Sumrall is the most prominent member of Stoops’ coaching tree.
I'm not going to throw Sumrall into stoops tree of coaching . I don't think his 2 yrs at UK really made the difference in him being a HC . STOOPS hasn't had a bunch of his assistants go on to be HCs.

I'm not going to throw Sumrall into stoops tree of coaching . I don't think his 2 yrs at UK really made the difference in him being a HC . STOOPS hasn't had a bunch of his assistants go on to be HCs.

Well, that “2 yr” was three seasons, ‘19, ‘20 and ‘21.

“STOOPS hasn’t had a bunch of his assistants go on to be HCs.”

Yes, hence his stature.

If you’re a program that may be in the market for an HC and you’re not paying attention to what Brian Hartline is/has been doing…come on…

Summerall will probably get a big offer before Stoops leaves/retires. Maybe even SEC.

Hope he continues to do well but I just don’t know if the timing of his star rising is going to line up with this gig opening.

Will be interesting to see who calls on him this offseason or next and where he ends up.

As for this job theres lot of other candidates out there I would be paying attention to.

The problem with the "handing the keys" theory is that Stoops won't be selecting the next coach. Also, Sumrall will probably have P4 opportunities this off season if he wants. Baylor, NC State, Arkansas, if they fall apart. Etc.

No . . . Stoops will not select the next Coach, but an Athletic Director likely will.

And remember who Barnhart scheduled for a Sunday interview the Saturday evening everyone thought Stoops was headed for A & M. There were three names, and only one currently outside of the state/program.

If Sumrall gets another P4 job, would that prohibit coming to Kentucky?

Much would depend on his contract language, but his two year stint at Troy, and Lane Kiffin’s one year stint at UT (among others) show that having another job does not absolutely prohibit a lateral move, even after a short time.

Really, it boils down to whether Jon Sumrall wants to come back to Kentucky. If so, when taking another P4 job, he could negotiate a lower buyout, as did Stoops in his initial contract with UK.

He'll for sure be in the mix there, but Pittman might've gained a ton of traction Saturday. Home win vs LSU and there's no way they can fire him.
Beating UT definitely turned the heat down on his seat a bit. Napier though? I feel like he's gone if they lose to us again at home.

Reactions: The-Hack
Really, it boils down to whether Jon Sumrall wants to come back to Kentucky. If so, when taking another P4 job, he could negotiate a lower buyout, as did Stoops in his initial contract with UK.
I think a big part of the future will be connected to Mitch’s retirement. Very few potential coaches (with multiple opportunities like Sumrall) will want to come to program before a new AD. New ADs are prone to have quick triggers so they can put their fingerprint on hiring coaches.

I have no clue how much longer Mitch or Stoops plan to work before retiring. I am confident Mitch has UK’s best interest at heart. I haven’t agreed with all his coaching hires but I believe he wants to leave UK in very good shape.

I think a big part of the future will be connected to Mitch’s retirement. Very few potential coaches (with multiple opportunities like Sumrall) will want to come to program before a new AD. New ADs are prone to have quick triggers so they can put their fingerprint on hiring coaches.

I have no clue how much longer Mitch or Stoops plan to work before retiring. I am confident Mitch has UK’s best interest at heart. I haven’t agreed with all his coaching hires but I believe he wants to leave UK in very good shape.
I have a feeling Mitch will retire when his current contract is up in 2028. Stoops contract runs through 2031, but I will be shocked if he makes it that long, probably leaving on his own.

I have a feeling Mitch will retire when his current contract is up in 2028. Stoops contract runs through 2031, but I will be shocked if he makes it that long, probably leaving on his own.
I have no clue when Stoops wants to walk away. My guess is that IF Stoops walks away in the next couple of years that Mitch will leave with him and let the next AD make the hire.

Things never go as smoothly in reality as they are planned. In today’s world, a football coach is hired fairly fast for multiple reasons. I can easily see a world where Sumrall doesn’t want to be in a transitional mess, but would be interested in being “the man after the next man.” If Stoops was to step away in a couple of years and Sumrall were to come before Mitch leaves, then Mitch will put in a huge buyout to protect Sumrall for a few years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT