ADVERTISEMENT

Jon Sumrall signs new deal with Troy

That 4 years will put him in prime position to succeed Stoops if he decides to move on.

Would love this. Also works out well for us that we’ll get to see his results over the next handful of years to see if we think he’s the guy but his one year was a huge success.
If he continues to have success at Troy it is likely he will move on up before he fulfills that 4 year deal. The only way he is still there in 4 years is with moderate success. Neal Brown was there 3 I believe before getting poached. I really hope we can keep CMS for longer that the next 3 years but brother Bob hung it up early to enjoy his millions. Mark may do the same.

I know it's a pipe dream but how perfect would it be for him to replace Brad White for a season or two with the guarantee that he was taking over in one or two years?

Happy for Sumrall, but y'all need to ease up.

As someone else said Neal Brown was a huge winner at Troy also. Won at LSU & at Nebraska. But couldn't win at West Virginia, probably will be among the first firings of the 2023 coaching carousel.

Going to throw this out there for discussion. This is based on nothing but my opinion and speculation.

I expect Mark Stoops to be at UK for another 6-8 years before he retires. That's a long time, a lot can change and who knows what the landscape of college football will look like? I fully expect Jon Sumrall to get a P5 job in another 2-3 years. Would he leave that job to return to UK? One can assume Coen and Brad White to garner attention also. And former UK asst Matt House is out there too as is Neal Brown who has struggled of late but is still young and an experienced P5 HC.

Then there's some young guys. Former UK QBs Maxwell Smith and Mike Hartline are just starting their coaching careers, they're currently laying the groundwork. This is their salad days as it were. Again, I'm talking possibly 6-8 years down the road, who knows where those guys will be? Hartline's brother Brian is an up and comer at Ohio St, does he take a P5 HC job and take Mike with him? Could. Then there's Chris Woodward. Currently UK's WR coach but you have to think if UK can build an effective offense he could be in line for an OC job, then a possible HC in a few years.

Point I'm trying to make is UK post-Stoops should be able to continue growing. Will Stoops replacement be Sumrall? Or Coen or White or House or Brown or Smith or Hartline? Or none of the above? I think UK's future is bright, hope I'm here to see it.

As someone else said Neal Brown was a huge winner at Troy also. Won at LSU & at Nebraska. But couldn't win at West Virginia, probably will be among the first firings of the 2023 coaching carousel.
I have no idea of their roster up up there but I would bet it’s all Midwest and northeast players and that a huge difference vs the south and Sumrall is well regarded recruiter in these parts 🍺

Sumrall took a 5-7 team to 12-2 and got them a conference title win in his first year. One failed hail-mary away from only losing 1 game last year. Brown didn't win anything at Troy until his 3rd year.

I think Sumrall is a helluva coach and better than Brown.

I have no idea of their roster up up there but I would bet it’s all Midwest and northeast players and that a huge difference vs the south and Sumrall is well regarded recruiter in these parts 🍺
That is good to hear. Hopefully, should he come to Kentucky, he can find a Vince Marrow from Ohio and recruit both the Midwest and deep-South.

I would only recruit a couple of players from up in those places like the rest of the top SEC teams do Hack 🍺
I’d love it if we could dominate recruiting within a 100 mile radius of Baton Rouge or Athens, Georgia.

Until we accomplish that, we have to have midwestern (Ohio/Michigan/Pennsylvania) recruits to compete.

And we can give them something we usually cannot give players from the deep
South: a chance to play SEC football at the SEC school closest to their home!!

Being the northern most SEC school
is a disadvantage South of middle Tennessee, but becomes an advantage recruiting in Ohio and Michigan!

Last edited:
Love Sumrall. Seems like a great guy and amazing coach.

Would absolutely be amazing to see him on our sidelines again one day!

Excellent first season. One word of caution is to see how he does with his own recruits. Not saying he wont knock it out of the park but it is something to watch. If succeeds in that manner I absolutely will take him as the next coach. He has a very good relationship with his players.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Going to throw this out there for discussion. This is based on nothing but my opinion and speculation.

I expect Mark Stoops to be at UK for another 6-8 years before he retires. That's a long time, a lot can change and who knows what the landscape of college football will look like? I fully expect Jon Sumrall to get a P5 job in another 2-3 years. Would he leave that job to return to UK? One can assume Coen and Brad White to garner attention also. And former UK asst Matt House is out there too as is Neal Brown who has struggled of late but is still young and an experienced P5 HC.

Then there's some young guys. Former UK QBs Maxwell Smith and Mike Hartline are just starting their coaching careers, they're currently laying the groundwork. This is their salad days as it were. Again, I'm talking possibly 6-8 years down the road, who knows where those guys will be? Hartline's brother Brian is an up and comer at Ohio St, does he take a P5 HC job and take Mike with him? Could. Then there's Chris Woodward. Currently UK's WR coach but you have to think if UK can build an effective offense he could be in line for an OC job, then a possible HC in a few years.

Point I'm trying to make is UK post-Stoops should be able to continue growing. Will Stoops replacement be Sumrall? Or Coen or White or House or Brown or Smith or Hartline? Or none of the above? I think UK's future is bright, hope I'm here to see it.
If Sumrall gets a P5 gig straight from Troy, it's most likely not going to be a program that is better than UK. It will be on UK's level or lower. It's actually the perfect scenario. If he continues to succeed for another couple of years,. a lower level P5 program would snag him, then that would buy us another 3 years or so to see how he performs at that level. I am interested to see if he gets the offense rolling at Troy.

Glad to see him doing well, and hope he continues.

Why leave at all? He's from Alabama. Maybe he'll stay at Troy continue win 10-12 games a year and build a top tier mid major football program that's always playing in bowls.

If Sumrall gets a P5 gig straight from Troy, it's most likely not going to be a program that is better than UK. It will be on UK's level or lower. It's actually the perfect scenario. If he continues to succeed for another couple of years,. a lower level P5 program would snag him, then that would buy us another 3 years or so to see how he performs at that level. I am interested to see if he gets the offense rolling at Troy.
I wouldn't assume that. Auburn and Florida have recently hired midmajor coaches more than once. A&M did with Sumlin, Texas did with Herman.

I wouldn't assume that. Auburn and Florida have recently hired midmajor coaches more than once. A&M did with Sumlin, Texas did with Herman.
There’s a big difference between Houston and Troy. I’m trying to think of the last head coach from a Sunbelt or MAC type school that got a major power 5 job…or if there are any.

There’s a big difference between Houston and Troy. I’m trying to think of the last head coach from a Sunbelt or MAC type school that got a major power 5 job…or if there are any.
Napier to Florida. Malzahn to Auburn. Dooley to Tennessee. Freeze to Ole Miss. Hoke to Michigan. Tressel to Ohio state. There are others.

Matt Campbell? PJ Fleck? Maybe I don't understand what you mean.

Sumrall took a 5-7 team to 12-2 and got them a conference title win in his first year. One failed hail-mary away from only losing 1 game last year. Brown didn't win anything at Troy until his 3rd year.

I think Sumrall is a helluva coach and better than Brown.

Yes he's a much better coach. He's an incredible human and leader along with being a super hard worker. If stoops goes anywhere, we have to be all in on summrall

Napier to Florida. Malzahn to Auburn. Dooley to Tennessee. Freeze to Ole Miss. Hoke to Michigan. Tressel to Ohio state. There are others.

Napier is a good one
Malzahn is a good one, although he was the prior OC at Auburn, so that’s why he got the job.
Dooley is a good one…his last name landed him that job.
Freeze at Ole Miss is a decent one.
Hoke was at Ball State and SDSU before Michigan. Different level.
Tressel is an interesting one. Won multiple national titles at the FCS level

So, yes, good examples on a few of those.

Matt Campbell? PJ Fleck? Maybe I don't understand what you mean.
Campbell and Fleck went to programs on UK’s level. I was more talking about guys who go straight from a MAC or Sunbelt level gig to a top tier P5 program. @WildcatofNati pointed out a few good ones. It is rare though.

Napier got the Florida job in large part from being an assistant under Dabo & Saban. The hired him because they were comfortable he knew how national championship programs at Bama and Clemson worked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT