ADVERTISEMENT

***John Calipari SEC Teleconference Transcript***

Alex Forkner

Staff Writer
Staff
Jul 31, 2014
Opening statement:[/B]
Well, I tell you, so many storylines for our league. Georgia: all beat up and injured. Mark keeps them alive and they start playing their best, go on the road and win a tough game. Vanderbilt: younger than us, which is like, 'What?' Win seven of eight or whatever they've done, and if you look back at the three they lost they could've won all of those. Playing out of their minds. Mississippi: you know, get dinged, get dinged, but still have a team that could win this league. Johnny goes to Arkansas -- are you kidding me? Without Mickey -- and wins? I mean, we could go on. You look at this league right now, eight top 50 -- eight top 50, more than any other league. 'No sir!' Well, the numbers say. And so, this is gonna be crazy. Texas A&M: we know how good they are. They've slipped a little bit. Now they come into this tournament with Mississippi, and all these teams start playing. Billy has Florida playing as well as they've played all year. Stuff's crazy. It's crazy. I mean, I watched South Carolina -- they had Arkansas beat. Think about that. So, great storylines. Terrific, us walking in with the ability to get six teams in, and barring some kind of crazy loss, there's eight top 50 teams here. So I'm excited for our league.

On the advantages/disadvantages of having so much height in the frontcourt:[/B]
Well, just so you know, my goal is to have a 6-9 point guard -- eh, I'll take a 6-8. To have a team that's 6-9 across the board, a couple of those, three of them, terrific shooters. One of them is a beast rebounder that can play in the post. So when you ask me what's the downside, well, we're big and it's tough on airplanes. I don't know. I do know that being this big and being able to switch and have our bigs play guards is an advantage. I've always looked for long teams. But now let me say this: and then I recruit this kid Tyler Ulis, and the only hesitation I had is his size until the more I watched him. His heart is probably as big as our 7-footers. His mindset and his fight, never seen anything like it. So, you know, he brings a different dimension and something that in most cases -- well, Derek Rose was 6-1, 6-2, but he put his head on the rim. He was unique in that way. He had an explosiveness. He had a fight fire. Matter of fact, Tyler's from the same city. Chicago.

On if the NCAA Tournament should be up for an expansion at some point:[/B]
Well, it depends. And if you're saying let's expand it, for what reason? Tell me what we're trying to get done. See, I think, again, anything we do, any decision we make should be about these kids, not programs, not coaches. Someone has to represent these kids. And if you're telling me it's in the best interest of all these kids to do this tournament this way, whatever that way may be, I'm all for it, as long as that's why we're doing it and that's the decisions we're making. I wish that there was more transparency, like college football. I think it's a great thing every two weeks to tell who's your 68. Every two weeks do it. Here are your top 16, here's all 68. So now, again, don't you think that's in the best interest of the kids? So we don't have to have a camera in the face of a student-athlete, who they say, 'They didn't make it, I can't believe it,' and then would show their agony. What is that about? Why would we even wanna do that? How about we're transparent and you've got two weeks to explain why you've got these guys together? And there's no -- human emotion doesn't play a part in any of this. And I just think those are the kind of things we need to do.

On if he's torn between his stance on conference tournaments and going undefeated:[/B]
No, not at all. I'm not. I'm ready to go. But I just want the kids to focus on why we're doing this this week. Next week will be about us. This week has no bearing on where we're gonna be seeded, and the most important thing for us, which is to be the best and the last team standing. Now, if that includes one loss or two losses -- you know what? I'd rather have none, but one's OK, too. And for us, our fans, they make an effort to get here, and it's not easy and they do it. And that's why I'm saying let's play for them. Let them enjoy you for the last time they can see you in person. Because again, it's going to be hard for that core group to get to the NCAA Tournament.

On how he would compare their perimeter defense now to a year ago:[/B]
Oh, it's not close. Let me just take a moment -- I am so proud of Andrew Harrison and the player he's becoming. He was never a finished product. I don't know why people thought that. He got here late and wasn't in shape and went through last year and by the end of the year clicked and started having it, but he didn't play well against smaller guards. So this year he gets to play against a smaller guard every day in practice, and that smaller guard gets to play against a big guard every day in practice, and they both helped each other. Now, the reason our team is doing what they're doing is because Andrew, his spirit is driving us. His ability to get in the lane, to make baskets, make key shots, to make key free throws -- now, we gotta talk more on defense. We gotta be more of a playmaker.

His brother, now, has been more of a playmaker away from the ball. He's getting steals, he's getting -- we need Andrew to do that same thing. He's capable of it, and we're gonna talk and really zero in on that. His brother went from settling for all threes -- Texas A&M -- to now, shooting about 75 percent when he shoots twos. Why are you shooting any threes if that's the case? And so, you're looking at two of these kids that are playing better than they've ever played in their lives, and I'm loving watching it. And I told Andrew, 'I'm so proud of the player he's becoming.' Everybody acted like we're watching him, this is who he's gonna be. No! No, that's what kids do here. They get better. Look at Trey Lyles right now. Are you kidding me? I mean, guys get better. And sometimes it takes longer. Look at Willie, it took him longer. That's OK. It took Alex a little longer. That's OK. At the end of the day, it's where they're finishing up, and I'm really -- like I said, I have so much respect for Aaron and Andrew, but all these guys. But again, having to work to improve, to keep your bearings, to not get caught up in all this clutter, media, who's who, he's better, all that other stuff, he's no good, and just keep getting better? C'mon. That's what this is supposed to be about.

On if it was hard convincing the guards of the value of being good defenders:[/B]
No, they know. They know. And they feed off each other, I'm telling you. If Aaron and Andrew are going in and they're not up to the energy of what those other two, and those two get in and you just plain see it, because it's kind of superimposed. When you watch Aaron and Andrew go back in, they step on the gas, now. They step on the gas. And the same holds true when those other two aren't up to it, and Andrew and Aaron are playing great pressure defense on the ball, but making plays. Defensive playmakers. Weakside for steals, run throughs, rebounding in traffic. All of a sudden you see Devin start rebounding. They're feeding off one another, which is great.

This post was edited on 3/9 12:43 PM by Alex Forkner

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.