ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Moorhead Fired by Miss. State

I’d like that trio out of Wesson MS. 4* DE, 4* WR, and 3* LB. Not sure we have room for any more additions after Vito and Drennon.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Did MSU save buyout money by waiting until 2020 to fire him? If they knew he was gone, this really sucks for the players who signed LOIs. Granted, as I said above, most are kids from Mississippi, so maybe the coach means less than the school.

Good move. Just an awful hire by them. I know I say it alot but it's amazing how bad organizations botch hires.

They had statistically one of the greatest runners at QB in sec history. And they hire a guy with a modified pro style offense.

The only unfortunate part is now they may hire a much better coach

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Whoever came in after DM had an impossible act to follow. That said, this guy wasn't that impressive.

A coaching search this late in the process is gonna be rough. Especially when you just fired a 2nd year head coach. Miss State is already a difficult coaching job to sell, but with no job security? Woof.

I figured if they did this they'd already have someone signed. Guess we'll find out soon, apparently a press conference for this afternoon.

A coaching search this late in the process is gonna be rough. Especially when you just fired a 2nd year head coach. Miss State is already a difficult coaching job to sell, but with no job security? Woof.

I figured if they did this they'd already have someone signed. Guess we'll find out soon, apparently a press conference for this afternoon.

Add to that the fact that your rival just hired Lane Effing Kiffin. That cuts both ways, but do you really want to deal with that in the media repeatedly?

How long ago was it that everyone was talking about UK's coaching hires like this?

In fact, a lot of the time the problem goes a lot deeper than the coach, maybe they should fire some of the higher ups. Oh, but where to start, I would have had an idea at UK but no idea here. Don't they get the same $40,000,000 plus bowl money that UK does, no matter if they don't make a bowl for FIVE years in a row, and isn't their stadium not the one barely ahead of Vandy in seating capacity now since they expanded while we cut back? How many could we have squeezed in CW, I mean Kroger, for the Florida game, isn't that the one where the legal scalpers that got a lot of our tickets made a fortune? Try scalping a ticket yourself some time, you might end up in jail.

Lots of football talent in Mississippi, and a lot of poachers too, I remember that when they "upset" us in 2008 we had TWO four stars that played a lot IIRC (both from Kentucky, both elite) and they had signed TWENTY the previous four years, the amazing thing is that all 20 of theirs were from the state of Mississippi.

Last edited:
Add to that the fact that your rival just hired Lane Effing Kiffin. That cuts both ways, but do you really want to deal with that in the media repeatedly?
Well their 8 game suspended linebacker did punch out their starting QB and they lost to Louisville. Pretty sure thats a bigger concern than Kiffin [laughing]

How long ago was it that everyone was talking about UK's coaching hires like this?

In fact, a lot of the time the problem goes a lot deeper than the coach, maybe they should fire some of the higher ups. Oh, but where to start, I would have had an idea at UK but no idea here. Don't they get the same $40,000,000 plus bowl money that UK does, no matter if they don't make a bowl for FIVE years in a row, and isn't their stadium not the one barely ahead of Vandy in seating capacity now since they expanded while we cut back? How many could we have squeezed in CW, I mean Kroger, for the Florida game, isn't that the one where the legal scalpers that got a lot of our tickets made a fortune? Try scalping a ticket yourself some time, you might end up in jail.

Lots of football talent in Mississippi, and a lot of poachers too, I remember that when they "upset" us in 2008 we had TWO four stars that played a lot IIRC (both from Kentucky, both elite) and they had signed TWENTY the previous four years, the amazing thing is that all 20 of theirs were from the state of Mississippi.
To be honest (and I hope Mr. Echols takes no offense) I think at least some of those Mississippi junior colleges are little more than pork barrel eligibility factories.

I wonder who they really think they can get at this point?

It seems like it would not be a good look to give him such a short amount of time, but who knows as I'm sure there is another coordinator like Mark Stoops or Dan Mullen out there just wanting an opportunity.

Gun to head, you have to bet, which happens first? Kiffin gets a coed pregnant, or he gets full-blown diabetes? He's gotten chunky, but still probably pulling a lot of strange. Could go either way.

Gun to head, you have to bet, which happens first? Kiffin gets a coed pregnant, or he gets full-blown diabetes? He's gotten chunky, but still probably pulling a lot of strange. Could go either way.

Even though he's sprouted a second chin, he still has a lot of money and is well known so my money would be on him knocking up a coed. Doesn't matter what you look like if you have cash and are well known.

Reactions: oddis500
Good move. Just an awful hire by them. I know I say it alot but it's amazing how bad organizations botch hires.

They had statistically one of the greatest runners at QB in sec history. And they hire a guy with a modified pro style offense.

The only unfortunate part is now they may hire a much better coach
They're a little late to the game. They'll likely have to snag another Coordinator from somewhere or a non-P5 coach.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Never understood the hire. Terrible fit. Napier #1 on this list I would assume.

Napier played for me about 25 years ago. He is an all business type, even as a kid. Would be awesome to have a former play as head coach in the SEC. He is a top flight recruiter. His younger brother is the OC at a school in Georgia that sends 1-3 kids every year to an SEC school. Tank Bigsby going to AU is one this year.

Reactions: childe and JDHoss
Napier played for me about 25 years ago. He is an all business type, even as a kid. Would be awesome to have a former play as head coach in the SEC. He is a top flight recruiter. His younger brother is the OC at a school in Georgia that sends 1-3 kids every year to an SEC school. Tank Bigsby going to AU is one this year.
Talk of former Louisiana Lafayette and current Austin Peay coach Mark Hudspeth too.

Some guys I would call and talk to if I were the Miss St AD...

Mark Helfrich

Sark

Major Applewhite

Troy Calhoun

Ken Niumatalolo

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT