ADVERTISEMENT

Job question for you & how much money is enough?

Make as much as you can then leverage the shit out of it in a wildly expensive lifestyle that you cannot possibly sustain. Then when it all inevitably comes crashing down around you, declare bankruptcy then go to rehab and start it all over again. That is pretty much the new normal folks, and if you disagree with me then please realize you hate America.

As a member of the top 1% of earners on this board, I speak from a position of authority. If you do not make a minimum of 6 figures then please do not reply to my post. Thanks.

Reading this thread has made me realize that, by Paddock standards, I am a "poor" and always have been. But I have always been able to live within my relatively meager means. I have seldom had a lot of the things I "wanted" but have never lacked the things I "needed." Only for one three month period years ago has the wolf been at the door - but I was able to escape the fangs. Never was on the dole. And for that I am grateful.

Last edited:
My job is enough to live on, but not live well. With my wife working, we are very comfortable. Up until last spring, she had a job making about 25% more than she does now, but it was making her miserable and ruining her health.

I have figured out that I will never be rich, but I can be content.

My job has decent benefits. I've always had 5 weeks of vacation, plenty of sick leave, holidays, decent insurance, and a M-F 8-5 schedule.

My neighbors both have company cars and drive a lot. They leave their kids with baby sitters for 6-8 weeks at a time. Not just during the day, but overnight & weekends. For less money than me & my wife make. Not worth it in my book.

Reactions: awf and AustinTXCat
Just got a promotion with a very nice raise to a job that I have been basically doing 80% of for the last few years, so I suppose the answer would be no, as to the question of taking a job I would hate for more money. I make really good money for a guy with a high school education, have 5 weeks vacation, and absolutely love the people I work with, several of who I have worked with for 30+ years. We've always lived within our means, and my wife makes a nice living as well (same 5 weeks of vacation). With the house paid for and the kids grown and own their own, life is pretty damn good right now. We'll probably work for another 5-7 years and retire to Florida.

Oh, c'mon, humidity is generally only about 65% in July. :) Which is awful, let me tell you. However, for me, I just feel a lot better in hotter weather than colder weather. Last 3 or 4 winters I spent in SC (certainly not in the Arctic Circle), I coughed like a damn seal the entire winter. Doctor told me it was a type of cold-related asthma-like condition. Since moving to TX, not so much as a whimper during 'winter'.

Florida in the summer is exactly how you describe: extremely hot and humid with a humidity storm pretty much every day around 5:00 or 5:30. Even if you lived on the beach, it would get pretty miserable. But, my son's soon-to-be in-laws live near Boston and they had to shovel their ROOF twice last year to keep the roof from caving in. Their ROOF!!!! Nope. Not for any amount of money would I live in a place like that. Chicago - cold as hell with 40 mph winds?? Not for 5X the amount of money I'm making now. Just would not be worth it. Weather is not everything but it definitely is a huge factor for me and my wife.

We want to retire to Florida in a few years. We go there usually 3-4 weeks a year, and just got back from SW Florida this past Sunday. Yeah, it gets hot, but the late fall, winter, early spring seasons are amazing. Riding bikes, fishing, and the ability to do all sorts of other outdoor activities at basically any time of the year far outweighs any heat concerns. There's also this thing call air conditioning......

Reactions: AustinTXCat
With the house paid for and the kids grown and own their own, life is pretty damn good right now. We'll probably work for another 5-7 years and retire to Florida.

My dad went to Fla and bought a house trailer in a fishing camp/ "resort". He kept inviting me down, but I never thought I'd like staying in a trailer that smelled like fish. A couple of winters ago, he was ill and couldn't go down so he asked me if my wife and I could just go down and check on the place. We decided to go. It's January. When we get to fla. we have to drive through orange groves to get to the place. When we pull in, it's full of trailers, but they have screen rooms, orange and grapefruit trees all over the place. Owners have flowers all over, and hanging from their homes. The place was great! He paid about 12K for his trailer. Of course the lot rental was about $200 a month. I tell my single son if I was his age, that's the place I'd be. If I ever retire again, that's exactly what I'm going to do.

I know people that are content making 25K. I know people that are miserable making 100K. Ym had it right about building life(posessions) around the amount you make and not the other way around. Most of the miserable ones are those that are in debt up to their eyeballs and couldn't leave a miserable job if they wanted. THAT'S the big thing for me. When I knew I could leave my job, the stress decreased immensely. Over the years I've learned (for me) that it's better to drive a paid-for Chevette, than a Corvette I owe 40K for.....to live in a 75 K house with a house payment that is a relatively small % of take home pay vs a McMansion with payments so high you can't afford to put furniture in it.

Money is important, but peace and contentment are the real "pearls". So....( I guess I'm a hypocrit)................I took the 3x as much salary and was miserable, so I could provide for my family when I was young. The 3x allowed my wife to stay home with the 4 kids. Yeah I was stressed and miserable, but when sacrifices have to be made, it's dad's responsibility to make them. The pay-off is no debt, a great retirement and well adjusted adult children.
I'd be content making what I am making, low 20s, if a few things would change at work that have nothing to do with money. Of course I wouldn't mind more money. I generally like the field and most of the people I work with, just some things need to be changed from an organizational management and perspective along with a few people in administrative jobs that are woefully incapable of properly performing the job. Alas it's not likely to happen, so I'm going to leave the first chance I can get a job that pays well enough somewhere I think I will be happy at, just like a whole lot of other people within my department have done. Have like 40 people in this department and going on my 6th year I'm one of the 10 most tenured people within it.

I don't know how anyone could live on less than 8 grand a month. That would be bare bones only eating out 3-4 times a week, cutting the housekeeper back to 1 day a week, only 1 weekly massage, only 2 vacations... I guess I could do it for a little while but I don't know how long I could rough it like that.

Reactions: Willy4UK
I don't know how anyone could live on less than 8 grand a month. That would be bare bones only eating out 3-4 times a week, cutting the housekeeper back to 1 day a week, only 1 weekly massage, only 2 vacations... I guess I could do it for a little while but I don't know how long I could rough it like that.
Ive probably earen out 5 times this year (not counting the occasional subway, wendys, etc.).

I dont really care much about money. Shit constantly breaking one me i could do without.

Reactions: Willy4UK
My dad went to Fla and bought a house trailer in a fishing camp/ "resort". He kept inviting me down, but I never thought I'd like staying in a trailer that smelled like fish. A couple of winters ago, he was ill and couldn't go down so he asked me if my wife and I could just go down and check on the place. We decided to go. It's January. When we get to fla. we have to drive through orange groves to get to the place. When we pull in, it's full of trailers, but they have screen rooms, orange and grapefruit trees all over the place. Owners have flowers all over, and hanging from their homes. The place was great! He paid about 12K for his trailer. Of course the lot rental was about $200 a month. I tell my single son if I was his age, that's the place I'd be. If I ever retire again, that's exactly what I'm going to do.

Pretty much what we're planning on doing. You can get a pretty nice place in SW or East Central Florida for $150K or less.

My family is very fortunate that I have been extremely successful in my line of work. My net worth is over $2M and I make a little over $23K per month gross.

I grew up in a coal camp in EKY about as poor as you can imagine so I know what it's like to not have hardly in food in the fridge and watching my mother mix water in the milk carton to make it last until she could make a few dollars ironing for people. I honestly can say that I'm not sure I would have been as successful if I hadn't grew up the way I did. It hurt me when people would make fun of me or my sister because of the second hand clothes we had to wear, but they only did it once because I would tear into them...sometimes the results were pretty good, sometimes the results were pretty bad, but that person never made fun of me or my little sister.

I take care of my money and just updated my will last month. My kids and G-kids will benefit greatly when we pass on. They know very little about what we have.

As we are getting older, we are splurging on some things like traveling to places we have only read about and we just bought our adult son and daughter a new car each for Christmas. Those cars aren't Mercedes level, but they are new.

We also give quite a bit of money away locally. I don't like these global or national charities. We gave the church $2K just last week with the stipulation to find four families that "justifiably" needs help for Christmas. The pastor knows what I mean by justifiably. I don't give money to anyone that won't work. I have helped families that the parents are known drug users, but not with cash. My wife and I go out and pick out clothes and toys for the kids and we give it to the Pastor to deliver. The families don't know where it comes from and we don't get to know the names of the families. Those kids can't help the way their parents are and certainly shouldn't suffer for it.

We know how to take care of money and we know when we feel justified on splurging. If you don't have self discipline, it will be difficult to amass any kind of wealth.

I apologize for getting on my soapbox and hope some don't take this the wrong way. I am fortunate to have what I have and I don't intentionally rub it in anyone's nose.
A masterwork of humblebrag. Congratulations sir and well done.

Wut if you're J-O-B is a stress-reliefer?

Casing-point; A job where you get to knock down the houses of people whoeve just lost all of their worlds possesins and possibly pets and/or fammly membrs to Force Mazhjore?

#jussayinghaha

Could you do that one more time in English please?

My family is very fortunate that I have been extremely successful in my line of work. My net worth is over $2M and I make a little over $23K per month gross.

I grew up in a coal camp in EKY about as poor as you can imagine so I know what it's like to not have hardly in food in the fridge and watching my mother mix water in the milk carton to make it last until she could make a few dollars ironing for people. I honestly can say that I'm not sure I would have been as successful if I hadn't grew up the way I did. It hurt me when people would make fun of me or my sister because of the second hand clothes we had to wear, but they only did it once because I would tear into them...sometimes the results were pretty good, sometimes the results were pretty bad, but that person never made fun of me or my little sister.

I take care of my money and just updated my will last month. My kids and G-kids will benefit greatly when we pass on. They know very little about what we have.

As we are getting older, we are splurging on some things like traveling to places we have only read about and we just bought our adult son and daughter a new car each for Christmas. Those cars aren't Mercedes level, but they are new.

We also give quite a bit of money away locally. I don't like these global or national charities. We gave the church $2K just last week with the stipulation to find four families that "justifiably" needs help for Christmas. The pastor knows what I mean by justifiably. I don't give money to anyone that won't work. I have helped families that the parents are known drug users, but not with cash. My wife and I go out and pick out clothes and toys for the kids and we give it to the Pastor to deliver. The families don't know where it comes from and we don't get to know the names of the families. Those kids can't help the way their parents are and certainly shouldn't suffer for it.

We know how to take care of money and we know when we feel justified on splurging. If you don't have self discipline, it will be difficult to amass any kind of wealth.

I apologize for getting on my soapbox and hope some don't take this the wrong way. I am fortunate to have what I have and I don't intentionally rub it in anyone's nose.

Chuck,
I like your story. It makes sense. When I was little, we lived in a small town where my mom and dad grew up. Everyone knew us, watched out for us, and treated us well. We didn't have much but we didn't consider ourselves poor. When I was around 8, things turned. Dad started drinking and other things that ultimately destroyed mom and dad's marriage. We moved to another county where people didn't know us. Interestingly, since they didn't know us they treated us kids like poor kids ( looked down on us, I heard adults say nasty things about us) unlike our little home town. Things got tight due to the drinking....bankruptcy for my parents. Little food, few decent clothes...we were the poor people.

That was tough going from having a decent life, to being poor. BUT...it motivated my siblings and me. We worked at any little job we could find as kids. When I was 12, I bought my own school clothes...that kind of thing. Going from having a decent life, to a really crappy/dysfunctional one ended up being a motivator. We all went to school , graduated from college. Worked hard and ended up doing well. Due to my faith, no one will ever be able to convince me otherwise, the LORD took care of us, provided for us and with the lemons we'd been dealt He made lemonade out of our lives.

I don't make what you make but we are comfortable and can share with others with legitimate needs. I credit the Lord.

Merry Christmas.

Reactions: JDHoss and WettCat
I stress way too much about money and I don't know why, because I don't have any reason to, I wish I could turn it off. The only reason I wouldn't take a job making more money is if it required me to be away from my kids for a significant amount of time, like...50% or more travel.

Reactions: kyboy1998
I always find these particular questions interesting because it varies per person.

Would you take a job/promotion that you hated because it paid significantly more money over a job you enjoyed that probably pays half that?

Also, what salary is "good enough?" Most studies show $75k is the magic number while one study said $50k is when you're the most happiest (disagree with that one).

Curious on the answers because it's obviously subjective.

I think there are a lot of variables to the question of how much is enough. Married? Kids & how close are they to college? Cost of living where you live? Age? Are you taking care of other family? How much do you enjoy your work? How flexible is your work? Does your spouse work/contribute-financially?

I think many people are most happiest when they get out of debt (or at least all but a mortgage), whatever income level that is/takes. In general, the more you make, the more you THINK you need.

I have to say, I've been pretty fortunate. Have a career that is often ranked in the top 20 of "happiest jobs/careers", pays well, and allows me to live in a great place.

Would I move for more $? Sure for the right #. I'm not sure what that # is though. I guess it would depend on where to, and how would the job differ. An equally pleasant place to live, it might only take a 10-20% increase. An "ok" place, maybe a 20-30% increase. Somewhere I'd rather not live it would take significantly more (50%+). I prefer to not give amounts.

@HeismanWildcat85: While serving in the military and since hanging out here in the civilian workforce, I always stress two interrelated aspects for climbing from the ranks "poors" to having it "all".

- "You make your own luck in life". My father (RIP 1986) often made this statement. It still holds true.

- "It is not so much what we have, but rather how well we utilize what we already have". It's not about that which we own, but what we do with what we've got. Incidentally, except in special circumstances, I personally despise using the word "do".

I earned six figures during three different years in my life; once while on military active duty and operating a mail-order computer parts business with my wife (2000). Two other periods came in 2008 and 2009. My annual military pay over 20 years barely exceeded $30K during the final three highest years ('98-00). My first year pay was only $4,700 in 1981.

Always, ALWAYS, consider the alternatives. Quality of life is most important. Job layoffs happen, and it happened to me mid-2010. What transpired afterwards? Hell, I went back to Europe for 8 weeks, stayed with friends and family, partied my ass off and posted about the adventures here on the Paddock. My current earnings are only 55% of what I earned during the good years (2008-09), but my present quality of life is amazing and I'm happier than ever, sans workplace politics. My personal free time is unreal. Heh, between March 2012 and March 2013, I spent 8 weeks on vacation. How? Taking advantage of overtime hours. During that 13-month period, I visited my son in Germany 3 times over an 8 month period and racked up a buttload of frequent flier miles, which I later used on trips back to KY.

To answer your question, it all depends on what comprises individual happiness. Life is short. Trust me, I speak from experience. After surviving 2 strokes and colon cancer, reality arrives quickly. Live life within a comfort zone combining $$ and available time.

I lived in FL for a short while. My mother ended up moving there from KY in 1980. If you shop around, great places like you describe are available in North-Central FL, albeit trailer house living. Ocala and Gainesville lie just up I75. You can catch UK-FL basketball games annually at the O'Connell Center.

But the thing which truly differentiates between stereotypical trailer park trash in KY/TN and FL is indeed quality of life. The FL population is usually older and much better kept. I know of a few folks back east who leverage the seasons. They reside in FL between November and March, and then head back up north April-October. "Snowbirds". It seems much easier nowadays with the internet and all these sharing options. My parents followed such a plan for five years until my step-father passed away in 2007. They also owned an RV, which ultimately turned into a disaster for my mom when my step-father passed on.

Key = planning. One can live good if adhering to prudent principles.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDHoss and UKGrad93
we don't make nearly as much as some of you at the moment, but my fiancé is still in school. I have to put up with a job I'm not terribly fond of because it gives us flexibility in terms of where we can live (her career has extreme restrictions). there is a lot of job unhappiness I'm willing to put up with if it provides for my family.

Took a cut of $13K from my old job to my present job. Miserable in old, fine in new. Could have retired in September, but decided to stay since I'm single again, only 55 yrs old, and not much going on. Figure I'll keep on going until maybe 58, then coast until 62 when I can draw early SS and travel until I die.

It's not how much you make, but how well you balance your finances. Have known people who do $100k a year and don't seem to have a dime to their name because of the debt and waste. Know others who do $50-$60k and have a beautiful home, new car, travel, etc.

It's all in how you manage it once you get to the 60k-100k level.

To respond to the post. Love the job I have now....make good money and have more time than most do with their families. Would I take another job to make $20k-$30k more a year to be miserable? Absolutely not.

I've been checking out 55+ retirement communities in Lakeland, FL lately. Some decent deals are out there.

1984 2 BR/1.5 BR 14'x52' mobile home. $9,000. Current owner will even throw in a 2000 Buick Century with 50,000 miles. Lot rent is $380/month, water and sewage included. Community is on the lake.

Never forget needs and wants are two different things.
If you can't meet your needs you will be miserable.
If you can't meet a portion of your wants, you will be unhappy.
After a certain point, meeting more of your wants does not promote more happiness.
Bottom line, if you can meet the needs ( food, shelter, family, and spirituality ) and don't let your wants control you, you can be happy at any income.

Reactions: KingOfBBN
I've been checking out 55+ retirement communities in Lakeland, FL lately. Some decent deals are out there.

1984 2 BR/1.5 BR 14'x52' mobile home. $9,000. Current owner will even throw in a 2000 Buick Century with 50,000 miles. Lot rent is $380/month, water and sewage included. Community is on the lake.

That sounds like an amazing deal. Just so you can see some difference on the west coast here by the beach in Orange County, California...$1,700 just for lot rent. Just for the space, man.

The greatest pressure on a lot of people, though a declining number, is the pressure they put on themselves to perform at a high level. The best employees I ever had put more pressure on themselves than I did. The fear of being fired is not the only source of pressure.

I find this to be true. Related point, but a lot of people crave that pressure, both to succeed and to find happiness. At least in my profession, I don't find that lower paying jobs make people happier; it's only to the extent that those jobs require significantly less time that gets to happiness.

But to answer the original question, I would take a better job for less money, but not that much less. Double the money = yeah, I'd work that worse job for a while at least.

I think you probably would want a mixture of both wealth and happiness with it. Sometimes there are certain work conditions that no amount of money is worth. Then again, happiness doesn't feed the kids.

That sounds like an amazing deal. Just so you can see some difference on the west coast here by the beach in Orange County, California...$1,700 just for lot rent. Just for the space, man.

Almost worked out there after spending a summer. Beautiful place, but very expensive. What part are you in (I was in Irvine :/)?

I visited Orange County, CA a few times while employed by Conexant. Cost of living in Cali is mind-boggling compared to FL or many parts of Texas.

Yeah. After the end of this year, we plan on looking around somewhere in possibly Texas, Florida or Nashville. I don't know how you can have any type of retirement unless you make high six figures or millions.

As for the topic, I have never desired "toys" like cars, boats or things like that. I really just want to enjoy what I do and make sure my family is taken care of so I don't need to be rich. We're pretty simple people.

Almost worked out there after spending a summer. Beautiful place, but very expensive. What part are you in (I was in Irvine :/)?

Huntington Beach, which is about 20 minutes from Irvine. It's real nice. The weather is great and I love the ocean but I want to send my kids to private school, which you can imagine what that will be out here. I also have a good set up right now but no way am I moving into some two bedroom apartment for $2,100 month again. I've done that and it's just stupid especially when that is way more than a mortgage for a beautiful home in the south.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
I visited Orange County, CA a few times while employed by Conexant. Cost of living in Cali is mind-boggling compared to FL or many parts of Texas.

an all of those places don't compare to the bay area. $2200/mo for a shitty 1bd apartment with no beach view, only a view of an army of nerds.

Reactions: KingOfBBN

I said EAST Central Florida. We're looking from NSB in Volusia Co on South to the Port St. Lucie area on that side, and North Port down to Ft. Myers/Bo-Nita Springs on the Gulf. No desire to live in Central Florida, although I will take it over East Tennessee.

What happens in FL quite often is that an old couple will retire there and buy a place. One of them dies and leaves the other alone with no family or long-time friends around. They are often willing to sell for about anything they can get so they can go back home. Happened with my brother. He sold his house and moved to CA to live with me. This happened in 07 before the crash. Got a good price for it. Its value went down more than half the following year.

Last edited:
I said EAST Central Florida. We're looking from NSB in Volusia Co on South to the Port St. Lucie area on that side, and North Port down to Ft. Myers/Bo-Nita Springs on the Gulf. No desire to live in Central Florida, although I will take it over East Tennessee.

I live over in Orlando and I love it.

What happens in FL quite often is that an old couple will retire there and buy a place. One of them dies and leaves the other alone with no family or long-time friends around. They are often willing to sell for about anything they can get so they can go back home. Happened with my brother. He sold his house and moved to CA to live with me. This happened in 07 before the crash. Got a good price for it. Its value went down more than half the following year.
Thanks for the insight, Chief. I hear ya. Lakeland seems like a "sweet spot" for me and also offers great public transportation connections (Greyhound, Amtrak). Additionally, one can ride a city bus route from downtown Lakeland to Haines City to Poinciana to Kissimmee to Orlando. Lot rent is lower than Orlando. Ideally, I'd love to spend winters there. Head up to KY from April-May. Stay over in the UK and Germany for less than 90 days from June to early-Sept. Back to KY mid-Sept-November and then return to FL. Austin remains an option for the winter, but pricey as more folks move here.

I found a couple other interesting offers in FL. Still looking.

Reactions: JDHoss
I live over in Orlando and I love it.

Love Orlando the city, but hate the traffic. Do you use SunRail to get around any? I've wondered how that was. My mother had an aunt that lived in Ocala. Hotter'n 40 Hells during the summer. I've spent at least a few days in every region of Florida and I will take even the worst over living in East TN. One of my coworkers retired today. He and his wife bought a condo in Celebration, and are planning on moving there at the end of November when his current tenant's lease expires. He's only 55 and plans on finding a job on a golf course. His wife teaches high school calculus and already has a job lined up. Lucky bastard he is. Can't wait to retire and get our asses down there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT