ADVERTISEMENT

Jeremy Roach in the portal

Roach had a TS% approaching 60 and had a good turnover rate for a high major program. He would be a quality addition.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
Has anyone been paying attention to Pope? Roach is EXACTLY the type of player he’s going in on and he should.

For one Roach is a team guy who’s learned in a system similar to what ours is, as in he’s a team guy who is system first. We should have never allowed Duke to take that mantle I never understood why Calipari didn’t promote both. Remember when instead of selling our program who’s always been number 1 in taking care of players state wide, he literally said it’s not true programs don’t do that. Just handing it to Duke.

He’s a team captain and we need a guy like that. He knows the role of what we’re looking for. And Duke will be devastated to see him in UK blue. They’re already worried about it on their board.

This would be a statement for Pope, and if he ends up enjoying his time at UK and people realize it, it’ll be good for recruiting moving forward. You absolutely go get him.

Arkansas is a player for Roach? Assuming DJ and Fland are favorites to go there.. someone at PG ain't getting minutes.. maybe 2 of them.

If Roach is considering Arkansas then that to me says one of DJ and Fland (maybe both) aren't going there. We know from the past that Cal doesn't just take a bunch of transfers to play over his recruits and especially over a guy like DJ (lol). It's usually just a transfer every year to fill a hole. So to me, this says Cal isn't bringing everyone with him.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Arkansas is a player for Roach? Assuming DJ and Fland are favorites to go there.. someone at PG ain't getting minutes.. maybe 2 of them.

If Roach is considering Arkansas then that to me says one of DJ and Fland (maybe both) aren't going there. We know from the past that Cal doesn't just take a bunch of transfers to play over his recruits and especially over a guy like DJ (lol). It's usually just a transfer every year to fill a hole. So to me, this says Cal isn't bringing everyone with him.

I have thought from the beginning, and have said so many times, that one of the reasons Calipari was so devastated being sent to Arkansas was because his most prized part of coaching, recruiting, is about to take a massive hit. Programs matter especially to Nike, and there’s no way Nike is going to load down elite players at Arkansas. As of now Duke will get most of what they want from the top of the freshman classes. I think Calipari’s classes will range in the 5-10/15 range from now on.

So far he’s taking 1/3 to Arkansas from Kentucky. I highly doubt both DJ and Fland follow him to Arkansas and he might lose both. Calipari recruiting roach says a lot. We all know he doesn’t want players like that taking cash and minutes from his players. Cal also wants UK to suck, so he might try and buy him to keep him from UK.

Of course, the booster power for their programs are another myth of Arkansas, their PR campaign has been out in full force lately lol. But this year he’s got some cash to throw around so we’ll see. Unless they just want to throw cash to Roach I don’t see him going from Duke to Arkansas. He’d probably want to play for a real program.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Roach would be a good starting point guard. He’s played in a lot of big games, shoots the ball well, has a good basketball IQ, etc. Duke fans are sad they aren’t keeping him, so that’s a good indication of what kind of player he is.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
There is not a lot of experience coming back for Duke. I think it's Proctor and then a bunch of bench guys. They need that #1 class to really shine if they want to do anything.
Yeah the experienced guys are either transferring or graduating. They will be like we normally were and trying to win a title with freshmen being the key component.

Pros: Roach is a good college player. Undersized guard that can knocked down stand still threes. Has a lot of experience including a run In the final four, in which you can argue he hit most of Dukes “have to have it” shots late in close games.

Cons: not the best creator of a pg. often times will force lay ups against taller players leading to blocked shots and turnovers. Not a great defensive guard. The best part of his offensive skill set is the ability to hit mid range jump shots, which in todays basketball, is a dead skill set.

Could be a great pick up for a team needing an experienced guard that has won many games and knows what it takes to make a tournament run.

Pros: Roach is a good college player. Undersized guard that can knocked down stand still threes. Has a lot of experience including a run In the final four, in which you can argue he hit most of Dukes “have to have it” shots late in close games.

Cons: not the best creator of a pg. often times will force lay ups against taller players leading to blocked shots and turnovers. Not a great defensive guard. The best part of his offensive skill set is the ability to hit mid range jump shots, which in todays basketball, is a dead skill set.

Could be a great pick up for a team needing an experienced guard that has won many games and knows what it takes to make a tournament run.

The benefit here is that I'm 99% sure Mark Pope is a better coach than Scheyer, who I'm beginning to think will now be an overall disappointment for Duke. I trust Pope can get more out of Roach, a 5* recruit who never amounted to much under Scheyer. They backdoored into an E8, and they basically just lost their entire roster, minus Proctor. Sure, they have talent coming in, but this tells me that players wanted out, even players who probably kept most of their minutes next year. And these freshman STILL have to prove themselves AND go up against 5th and 6th year players.

I actually think Duke will be worse next year, and the talks will begin on if they should move on from Scheyer. Problem is, I bet they wind up with Hurley in 2-3 years haha.

Reactions: nssdigitalchumps
The benefit here is that I'm 99% sure Mark Pope is a better coach than Scheyer, who I'm beginning to think will now be an overall disappointment for Duke. I trust Pope can get more out of Roach, a 5* recruit who never amounted to much under Scheyer. They backdoored into an E8, and they basically just lost their entire roster, minus Proctor. Sure, they have talent coming in, but this tells me that players wanted out, even players who probably kept most of their minutes next year. And these freshman STILL have to prove themselves AND go up against 5th and 6th year players.

I actually think Duke will be worse next year, and the talks will begin on if they should move on from Scheyer. Problem is, I bet they wind up with Hurley in 2-3 years haha.
As long as it's Bobby Hurley I am good with that. 😂

As long as it's Bobby Hurley I am good with that. 😂

I really think it's gonna be the perfect timing for Duke. I don't believe Hurley will sustain this level of success (who can?) And he will (unfairly) catch some flak from Uconn fans. I think right at this time Duke will be parting ways with one of the biggest examples of a nepo-baby in Jon Scheyer.. and I think Duke has the draw and alumni $$$ to pull Hurley in, come 2027 or something.

Hope I'm wrong. But you know they will try to get him

I doubt Duke will be worse next year (their two lead freshmen are absolute studs, but you never know with 18year olds). Proctor is a good guard that needs to shoot more consistently, but is a far better overall pg.

Roach is leaving because of Foster returning (Foster brings everything roach does, excluding experience, but he’s near 6 6) and chasing a bigger NIL deal imo.

As far as who the better coach is, only time can tell. Pope has more experience as a head coach and has proven to put together teams that can score. But has little to no post season success.

Schyer has questionable skill set as an X and O guy. But players have continue to flock to him and seem to talk highly about him. In two years he has made the round of 32, elite 8 and won a conference tournament title. You need a bigger sample size, four years, to truly gage if a coach is good or not.

I doubt Duke will be worse next year (their two lead freshmen are absolute studs, but you never know with 18year olds). Proctor is a good guard that needs to shoot more consistently, but is a far better overall pg.

Roach is leaving because of Foster returning (Foster brings everything roach does, excluding experience, but he’s near 6 6) and chasing a bigger NIL deal imo.

As far as who the better coach is, only time can tell. Pope has more experience as a head coach and has proven to put together teams that can score. But has little to no post season success.

Schyer has questionable skill set as an X and O guy. But players have continue to flock to him and seem to talk highly about him. In two years he has made the round of 32, elite 8 and won a conference tournament title. You need a bigger sample size, four years, to truly gage if a coach is good or not.

I think it's silly to assume Foster was going to take Roaches minutes. Not sure why we think that's a given. Maybe more so the freshman coming in.. but I think this is more Roach just wanting a change of scenery, and maybe a different game strategy. Plus, he's far from the only one to transfer. Looks like any worth while player said "no thanks", even in the face of vast NIL money.

I'd also be very cautious on the freshman, which Duke fans really should be aware of at this point. As far as I'm concerned you have ONE sure impact player on Flagg. The rest have to prove it ESPECIALLY now that college ball has 5th and 6th year guys still. That's more problematic for freshman than we realize.

Duke got younger, by a lot, and I'm not sure if they actually got "better". We will see.

Reactions: Jacket4
Just saw where Dickinson is wanting Roach at Kansas. If Roach could get back to his old self he would be fine here. Maybe Pope would make a difference for him in a total different system? Just hoping we get plenty great shooters first and foremost. Brea, McNeely, Tyson and Robinson look like guys that would give us a lot of good shooting and scoring. Then either Small or Roach for the one?

I think it's silly to assume Foster was going to take Roaches minutes. Not sure why we think that's a given. Maybe more so the freshman coming in.. but I think this is more Roach just wanting a change of scenery, and maybe a different game strategy. Plus, he's far from the only one to transfer. Looks like any worth while player said "no thanks", even in the face of vast NIL money.

I'd also be very cautious on the freshman, which Duke fans really should be aware of at this point. As far as I'm concerned you have ONE sure impact player on Flagg. The rest have to prove it ESPECIALLY now that college ball has 5th and 6th year guys still. That's more problematic for freshman than we realize.

Duke got younger, by a lot, and I'm not sure if they actually got "better". We will see.
Duke couldn't win a title with freshmen Zion, RJ, Cam Reddish and Tre Jones and Coach K leading them. I don't think this group led by Scheyer will win a title either.

I don’t think we get Boogie, I just don’t feel warm and fuzzy about him at all. That’s not insider info or anything just one idiots opinion.

I believe the assumption about Foster is due to late in the year he was playing really well and then got injured shutting him down. Physically he has the tool set to be an NBA guard. Just depends how he develops over the summer.

Besides roach, the only other major player Duke has transferring out, that’s not a bench player for them, is Mark Mitchell, who I love but simply can’t shoot, and is a liability on the offensive end. Mitchell was going to lose his spot to cooper. Duke had a scholarship issue and needed to clear space for the new class and to bring in a transfer which is why a lot of their reserves left. Getting Procter and Foster back was their major priority.

Overall they will be better than this years team imo. But I still wouldn’t bet on them for a tournament run (yes I know they made the elite 8 but that had a lot to do with some luck) due to what you said. College basketball is old and older teams are getting it done in the post season now and days. That’s why they are looking for experienced reserves.

I believe the assumption about Foster is due to late in the year he was playing really well and then got injured shutting him down. Physically he has the tool set to be an NBA guard. Just depends how he develops over the summer.

Besides roach, the only other major player Duke has transferring out, that’s not a bench player for them, is Mark Mitchell, who I love but simply can’t shoot, and is a liability on the offensive end. Mitchell was going to lose his spot to cooper. Duke had a scholarship issue and needed to clear space for the new class and to bring in a transfer which is why a lot of their reserves left. Getting Procter and Foster back was their major priority.

Overall they will be better than this years team imo. But I still wouldn’t bet on them for a tournament run (yes I know they made the elite 8 but that had a lot to do with some luck) due to what you said. College basketball is old and older teams are getting it done in the post season now and days. That’s why they are looking for experienced reserves.
Losing 4 of their top 6 scorers who were experienced to the portal or draft and replacing them with freshmen isn't the same. Scheyer is just like Coach K was in that he only plays 6-7 guys unless there are players in foul trouble so loading up with players doesn't mean anything if half of them can't get off the bench.

A 5th yr player avg 14 ppg with his leadership and intangibles isn't coming off the bench.
I really want Johnell Davis at the SG spot. I don't consider Roach a true PG, yeah he can play there, but not really a distributor, not really a scorer, just does a lot of things solid, not really good in any of them. So there are some PG I'd take over him too, like Smart. And don't forget we may have this kid named Sheppard return.

Reactions: Coach Marrow
130 games at a blue blood. That's insane. You don't find that very often if ever in the portal.

Wonder why he doesn't want to run it back with Blue Devils one more time? Must just be looking for an NIL payday, but still, surely Duke could pay this kid.

He knows pressure, standards, at the highest level. I'd take him in a heart beat.

130 games at a blue blood. That's insane. You don't find that very often if ever in the portal.

Wonder why he doesn't want to run it back with Blue Devils one more time? Must just be looking for an NIL payday, but still, surely Duke could pay this kid.

He knows pressure, standards, at the highest level. I'd take him in a heart beat.
And maybe Duke will pay him, but to get the most he can from them they need to think they may lose him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT