ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Badet Runs 4.27 40; Other Metrics

Hope so too for him but one of these days these NFL guys will learn there is a lot more to football than metrics.

Reactions: JC CATS
That's awfully damn fast...but we knew that. The questions will be can he get himself open AND catch the ball?

Peace

Was that hand timed at pro day? Was not electronic time like at the combine, correct? Still, there was never any question about his speed.

Hope so too for him but one of these days these NFL guys will learn there is a lot more to football than metrics.

You don’t think NFL coaches and personnel people know how to evaluate players?

You think they don’t realize there is more to it than metrics?

Reactions: thornie1
He’s incredibly fast and has many of the measurables that any team would want. And yet he didn’t start that often for OU and had decent stats but not all-world when you consider the Heisman winner was throwing the ball. Inability to get open consistently and/or tendency to drop balls surely hurt him. The NFL will not be forgiving of those two traits regardless of what his 40 time was. I wish him luck.

The guy is a burner and had some good moments for us. I still think about that bobbled pass he had against UGA in 2016 though... Regardless, he was great in the UofL game. Best of luck to him.

Reactions: mattrudd
The guy is a burner and had some good moments for us. I still think about that bobbled pass he had against UGA in 2016 though... Regardless, he was great in the UofL game. Best of luck to him.
That should of been TD turned INT was the turning point against UGA. I guess regradless of where he goes he can't beat the Dogs. My most lasting memories of Jeff were squaring off pregame against James Quick before the 2014 game while he was redshirting. The other was the bomb he caught at Mizzou when he took I step into the end zone and laid the ball down. I thought for a second he laid it down too early

I think about his game-winning catch against Miss. State in '16 myself, but the UofL game too.

Last edited:
He’s incredibly fast and has many of the measurables that any team would want. And yet he didn’t start that often for OU and had decent stats but not all-world when you consider the Heisman winner was throwing the ball. Inability to get open consistently and/or tendency to drop balls surely hurt him. The NFL will not be forgiving of those two traits regardless of what his 40 time was. I wish him luck.

-OU was deep at WR which impacts stats.

-Badet's catch rate at OU was 77% which was second highest on the team with for someone with at least 25 receptions. Arguably, his 8% target rate was too low since dropping balls weren't an issue.

-The NFL often favors potential over production. It's why Boom doesn't get drafted after a poor combine but great career, but Dewayne Robertson gets drafted top five for the opposite, for specific UK examples.

I knew he was supposed to be fast, but never heard these numbers before, he was only a 5.6 as a recruit, did he gain a lot of speed, and when?

I think about his game-winning catch against Miss. State in '16 myself, but the UofL game too.

We had a fourteen point turnaround in the Florida game down there when the DB fumbled the ball into the WRs hands that went inside the ten to set up a TD when our DB had a clear path to the end zone.

Nobody questions his speed. He hands simply cannot be trusted especially at the NFL level. May be a spot as a returner but will be shocked if he ever made it as Sunday WR.

Reactions: mattrudd
Nobody questions his speed. He hands simply cannot be trusted especially at the NFL level. May be a spot as a returner but will be shocked if he ever made it as Sunday WR.

Returning kickoffs (do they still do that?) has one primary requirement imo, speed.

Punt returns require a lot more, great judgement AND hands required, concentrating on catching the ball while footsteps are right there, quickness and judgement probably more important than raw speed.

Might make it returning kickoffs, diminishing in importance every day.

Reactions: thornie1
The combine isn't really accurate, the timer doesn't start until the runner comes out of the blocks, taking reaction completely out of the equation. nothing like Olympic and College events where a timer goes off at the gun, and if you leave too quick it's a false start. I think it's 15 hundreds of a second, if less they say you anticipated the start and didn't react. That's why Bolt was a 4.4 guy.. Hand held can be on movement,first step or whenever the timer decides to start the clock.

But none of that takes anything away from Babet, he is a very fast guy and will have one of the fastest times anyone gets regardless of how it is timed if it is consistent.

He hands simply cannot be trusted especially at the NFL level.

Badet had the huge error against Georgia, that might have actually cost us the East that season, but other than that, I can not remember another drop.

Can anyone reference one specifically? I think the games from his three years here are all available on Youtube.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT