ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Wright “retired at 60”

Bhad Rhabies

Freshman
Mar 12, 2022
Reactions: TFCats11

Seems weird to step down and retire at 60 when you’re one of the hottest names in the coaching world.

The problem with getting him to come here in a fantasy scenario where Cal steps down was wrenching him away from Villanova. He no longer has to be wrenched from Villanova, he just needs to be bought out of retirement.
Why is it weird? I retired at 56 from a job I liked. I was a little restless for a couple of years, but we bought a condo in a south Florida beach town and I haven't looked back. If he wants it, Wright can get a job at ESPN or CBS that pays a couple of million a year for talking about basketball and none of the bullshit that comes with coaching.

When the climate changes, and pressure gets worse, I think more will move on to a better situation.

In his case, retirement does not look bad at all.

Reactions: JoeSwag
Yes, lets just hope he can maintain his health during his older years of life.

You always lose something when you retire, I say....

You gotta keep working your brain and the rest of your body to enjoy the rest of life as much as you can.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Why is it weird? I retired at 56 from a job I liked. I was a little restless for a couple of years, but we bought a condo in a south Florida beach town and I haven't looked back. If he wants it, Wright can get a job at ESPN or CBS that pays a couple of million a year for talking about basketball and none of the bullshit that comes with coaching.
200.gif

I checked last night, and the last time a HOF coach retired by the age of 60 was John Thompson in 1999. It’s definitely on the young side.

Reactions: TFCats11
Wiki says 48. He went the K route, and announced his retirement December of his last season. He took an executive job at a sporting goods company. He won the title that March, unlike K.

Reactions: onearmedjesus
McGuire 48. Dean Smith was only 66. 60 isn’t as surprising as he did it without a farewell tour.😉

McGuire 48. Dean Smith was only 66. 60 isn’t as surprising as he did it without a farewell tour.😉
I didn't realize Smith was 66. I thought he was older than that.
John Wooden was only 64. If you asked me I would have guessed 72.

Reactions: Cawood86
Bill Self is the clear #1 coach in college basketball after this

Cow? I'm not sure he's in top 25, to be honest

John Wooden was only 64. If you asked me I would have guessed 72.
Seriously?.....I definitely thought he was over 70.

Same. Semi-retired in my 40’s. Perfectly fine with it.

Jay Wright has a hell of a legacy at Villanova and will be a legend there for as long as the school exists. Better to retire a bit early instead of staying too long until the fanbase sours on you. Look up at Syracuse for a coach who has overstayed his welcome but would be hard to fire because of his legacy.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Wright can get a job at ESPN or CBS that pays a couple of million a year for talking about basketball
Hoping this happens so we can see those Jay Wright suits again. He was the best dressed coach in all of sports.

In honor of the Jay Wright announcement, ESPN and Coach Kyrchvchowski have announced that they will be holding a one week marathon of Duke highlights. Coach K will be accepting all gifts/praise and commenting on any and all issues of society.

In honor of the Jay Wright announcement, ESPN and Coach Kyrchvchowski have announced that they will be holding a one week marathon of Duke highlights. Coach K will be accepting all gifts/praise and commenting on any and all issues of society.
He could probably use a new Ipad so he can Facetime Scheyer during the game to give him instructions. It also would be easier to curse out the refs so that Duke will get all the calls.

NIL, the transfer portal, and todays youth would be enough to make any coach retire. Especially one who’s 60 years old and has nothings left to prove.

I think the new NIL and transfer portal rules had a lot to do with Wright’s decision.

His personality isn’t that well-suited to this new mass free agency and “highest bidder wins” recruiting world. He knew it too, and thus realized it was the right time to get out.

But don’t be shocked when he re-emerges in the NBA on a massive contract.
Even if he only last 2-3 years, he still sets up the next generation of his family with a single NBA coaching contract.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT