ADVERTISEMENT

Jasper Johnson & Malachi Moreno

FtWorthCat

Senior
Aug 21, 2001
Ft. Worth, TX
Assuming Perry and Noah stick around for more than one year, if we get JJ and MM that would give us four former Kentucky high school players, each with offers from other power conference teams, at the same time. Has this ever happened before, even during the Rupp days (recruiting was more of a try out back then)?

The way the Magwood from Louisville is playing compared to Johnson, I may prefer him. Jasper keeps trying to show his skills workout in games and too many awful shooting games from him from the field.....and not making his teammates better. Needs to play to win games and keep his "display" in the gym until he can transfer them to the game.

Who does Magwood play for? First I've heard that name.

I wish Johnson had stayed at Woodford County instead of transferring to Link Academy. His father was a Kentucky High School Football legend, but Jasper won't really have that experience. His Dad played high school varsity football in 2nd grade. Strange that his Dad is the football coach at Woodford County, but Jasper transferred out of state. Jasper Johnson's sophomore year was the first time in like 40 years that Woodford County had made the Sweet 16, iirc. But I hope he goes to UK just the same.

Last edited:
The way the Magwood from Louisville is playing compared to Johnson, I may prefer him. Jasper keeps trying to show his skills workout in games and too many awful shooting games from him from the field.....and not making his teammates better. Needs to play to win games and keep his "display" in the gym until he can transfer them to the game.
I’ve watched Jasper quite a bit and I couldn’t agree more. He can certainly get hot but he can also go ice cold. He also has a tendency to just disappear in games. Please don’t get me wrong, I love the kid and would love to see Pope get him but Jasper MUST get better with his consistency.

I wish Johnson had stayed at Woodford County instead of transferring to Link Academy. His father was a Kentucky High School Football legend, but Jasper won't really have that experience. His Dad played high school varsity football in 2nd grade. Strange that his Dad is the football coach at Woodford County, but Jasper transferred out of state. Jasper Johnson's sophomore year was the first time in like 40 years that Woodford County had made the Sweet 16, iirc. But I hope he goes to UK just the same.

Magwood played for Western in Louisville,, guess where its at,, then transfered to Oak Hill Academy..

2nd grade tho! Sounds a bit exaggerated. But ya never know i suppose

Uh yeah I'll take Jasper all day over MOST of the 25 class. It's not close compared to the other kid. Jasper has elevated his game and there's a reason why he's ranked so high.

Yeah, wiki says his brother was a 3rd grader on team as well, but they rarely played. Their Dad (Jasper's grandfather) was the head coach. Then KHSAA passed a rule that you had to be at least in 7th grade to play varsity. Dennis was honorable mention all-state as a 7th grader, National High School Defensive Player of the Year as a Senior at Harrodsburg. Obviously that would qualify Dennis Johnson as one of the greatest Kentucky high school football players ever.

I listened to a podcast today and there was a guy saying West Virginia was the team to beat for Magwood. Do you have any insights RDF?

I listened to a podcast today and there was a guy saying West Virginia was the team to beat for Magwood. Do you have any insights RDF?
I don't know much about his recruitment. Do know that friend was at the Adidas event this past weekend and loved how he was playing and how much improvement he's shown in the last year. He's on a great team (Team Loaded) with another guy UK is recruiting (new staff) Nate Ament but Magwood kept standing out with his play.

I don't know much about his recruitment. Do know that friend was at the Adidas event this past weekend and loved how he was playing and how much improvement he's shown in the last year. He's on a great team (Team Loaded) with another guy UK is recruiting (new staff) Nate Ament but Magwood kept standing out with his play.
Your AAU guys have any initial thoughts on how Pope is doing so far with the elite guys? Obviously he had a different situation at BYU but now he’s in the pool with the big fish. Just curious if there was any chatter.

Reactions: JASUN74
Your AAU guys have any initial thoughts on how Pope is doing so far with the elite guys? Obviously he had a different situation at BYU but now he’s in the pool with the big fish. Just curious if there was any chatter.
Haven't asked. Will be fun to track who they go watch next weekend as it's the initial Live Period weekend for '24 recruiting on the 17th-19th.

Magwood plays at Oak Hill Academy and for Team Loaded (VA) with Nate Ament who is/will be a guy UK recruits in '25.

I'm a fan of Jasper Johnson but so far in EBYL this Spring, not liking how he's playing with Team Thad. He had one great game last weekend but too much playing around and trying to show every skill and not just going at someone and kicking their ass. For someone of his caliber, there's too many 3-15 shooting games right now--and if I'm going to be critical of a Nas Cunningham or a Mackenzie Mgbako, have to be similar about a guy UK is recruiting hard. Consistent play shows more growth/improvement.

He and his brother just suited up but rarely played. Their dad was the coach I believe. He was 5’-7” & 170lbs in second grade. The state changed the eligibility rules because of it. Have to be in 7th grade at least.

Haven't asked. Will be fun to track who they go watch next weekend as it's the initial Live Period weekend for '24 recruiting on the 17th-19th.
Of course I’m biased but I think Pope (with Hart and AB and the UK brand behind him) is going to really connect with kids and shock some people with his first full recruiting cycle.

Combine an exciting style with a (relatively) young coach who is smart and passionate about UK and great things are going to happen.

Assuming Perry and Noah stick around for more than one year, if we get JJ and MM that would give us four former Kentucky high school players, each with offers from other power conference teams, at the same time. Has this ever happened before, even during the Rupp days (recruiting was more of a try out back then)?
Time for 9

Well Pope and Staff have only been on him a couple weeks. I hope we can make up some ground and get him. Supposed to be one of the best shooters and scorers in the class. Seems like one of those slightly under rated dudes who will turn out to be a player like a SGA.

Magwood plays at Oak Hill Academy and for Team Loaded (VA) with Nate Ament who is/will be a guy UK recruits in '25.

I'm a fan of Jasper Johnson but so far in EBYL this Spring, not liking how he's playing with Team Thad. He had one great game last weekend but too much playing around and trying to show every skill and not just going at someone and kicking their ass. For someone of his caliber, there's too many 3-15 shooting games right now--and if I'm going to be critical of a Nas Cunningham or a Mackenzie Mgbako, have to be similar about a guy UK is recruiting hard. Consistent play shows more growth/improvement.
I think Mgbako will be very good for Indiana this year. He actually made a great decision coming back, but the last 12 games or so he really started looking like the five star he was supposed to be.

Last edited:
I think Mgbako will be very good for Indiana this year. He actually made a great decision coming back but the last 12 games or so he really started looking like the five star he was supposed to be.
Mgbako's problem is he can't pass/dribble. He's a good shooter on catch and shoot and better when used as a college stretch 4. What hurts his future as a prospect is he has 0 ball skills. So he has no future in the NBA until that improves.

Well Pope and Staff have only been on him a couple weeks. I hope we can make up some ground and get him. Supposed to be one of the best shooters and scorers in the class. Seems like one of those slightly under rated dudes who will turn out to be a player like a SGA.
It's not late for '25 guys for Pope/Staff--at least not to build a great class. The best change in NCAA recruiting calendar for Pope/Kentucky was that the 2 Live Periods to evaluate HS prospects in April were eliminated. It allowed him time to build his staff/roster for next year while focusing solely on that--reach out to some guys and now when Live Period kicks off-they can get out and start seeing guys and recruiting harder.

Mgbako's problem is he can't pass/dribble. He's a good shooter on catch and shoot and better when used as a college stretch 4. What hurts his future as a prospect is he has 0 ball skills. So he has no future in the NBA until that improves.
Yeah I noticed when Indiana went small with him at PF he played and they played better. If he tightens up his handle and develops some different scoring moves he will be good. He was atrocious on defense early but got better as the year went on.

Woodson has a problem of having no shooters and playing 2 traditional posts at once too. He has that old school mindset. He needs to change fast, as his team looks good from the portal. He still didn’t grab any shooters. And I think that will be their downfall again.

I agree with you and he’s a great player. I really hope he gives us a chance to recruit him before committing anywhere. We’re a little late to the party but can make up the time quick if they like what they hear from the staff. You would imagine a Kentucky kid should know the history more than most so that should help. I’d love to have him personally. Agree with you about Jasper as well. He’s got a ton of potential and is probably just trying to make a bigger name for himself right now. Can’t blame him thinking back to those days. Wish I would’ve shot it every time I got open in high school but tried to be a team player. Haha. Anyway thanks bud and appreciate your input man. Got anything new going on you can share or anything?

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
I agree with you and he’s a great player. I really hope he gives us a chance to recruit him before committing anywhere. We’re a little late to the party but can make up the time quick if they like what they hear from the staff. You would imagine a Kentucky kid should know the history more than most so that should help. I’d love to have him personally. Agree with you about Jasper as well. He’s got a ton of potential and is probably just trying to make a bigger name for himself right now. Can’t blame him thinking back to those days. Wish I would’ve shot it every time I got open in high school but tried to be a team player. Haha. Anyway thanks bud and appreciate your input man. Got anything new going on you can share or anything?
Jasper's a team player but he's not playing efficient basketball and he keeps taking these NBA pro moves without having mastered his game. You needs hours upon hours of skill development to try some of the **** he's doing in these games. The mindset for anyone of his caliber should be destroy/kill your opponent and play to win games while on the court competitively. He's got all the potential in the world but efficient scoring should be easier for him now he's older, not harder.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT