ADVERTISEMENT

Jamie Vinson on a visit

Not sure I see the draw here.

Sure, developmental player, but in today's day and age, that just means you are investing in a player who will inevitably transfer at the end of the year and the fruits of your labor will benefit another program.

Could also be used against us in high school recruiting, all year long, coaches will be telling other Centers that we will have 2 Centers coming back (Garrison and Vinson) and that it'll be clogged, etc., perhaps causing us to not be as attractive.

Idk, just seems like no real benefit other than a warm practice body. But if Pope and Co want him, I'll be on board. Blind loyalty as they say!

Sure, developmental player, but in today's day and age, that just means you are investing in a player who will inevitably transfer at the end of the year and the fruits of your labor will benefit another program.

Could also be used against us in high school recruiting, all year long, coaches will be telling other Centers that we will have 2 Centers coming back (Garrison and Vinson) and that it'll be clogged, etc., perhaps causing us to not be as attractive.

Idk, just seems like no real benefit other than a warm practice body. But if Pope and Co want him, I'll be on board. Blind loyalty as they say!
I agree TC54. By the way I am in Wesley Chapel.

Reactions: pastorbob

If Vinson can play the four in a year or two I could see the investment. If he won't be able to I don't really understand because Garrison will be back to start at the five and feeling good about 7-1 Moreno coming. With Carr and Almonor both seniors seems like a good young true four would be idea for slot #13?

Reactions: rivercatinfl

Remember that one guy who was a project on the 1958 team though?

Watch some film

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie

I feel like Garrison will be back next year and Vinson can be his backup along with Moreno. I can't see Moreno passing up UK and he's the 3rd best center in the class.

Flip side to your take is that you get a visit and get to know a guy who may end up elsewhere but in the Portal era--build a relationship so if it doesn't work out this time-and he develops and improves and enters the Portal--you have an idea of the fit of him/his personality and what his family/camp expect and if that matches what your staff views. Need to recruit guys for 1/2 yrs down the line too in this current era. Build relationships.

6'10+ players who flashed what he does are always worth touching base with and possibly taking a chance with if you have room.

The vacant cupboard that greeted Pope isn’t the rule. Most players don’t enter the portal. Nor is Pope recruiting players who don’t really unpack their luggage.

Besides if the reality is that the game is really musical chairs, the sport is dead. All college sport is dead. And fans are chumps.

Watch some film

I mean I watched his highlight tape already?

What was I supposed to learn from that? Every player in the history of basketball is the greatest player of all time according to their highlight tapes.

I like his length, he can shoot it a tad, seems to have good touch- he's clearly a power-5 player, but at this stage and with our roster next season, he won't be able to contribute or see the floor probably, which just lends itself to him transferring to some place like UGA or Dayton a year from now, when Garrison hopefully returns and we land Moreno.

So you're investing and training this kid for a year who may ultimately play against you a year from now.

So what's the benefit here of actually taking him?

I do like @ralphdaltonfan's point. Get him on campus, send him elsewhere, and if he pans out and transfers in a year or two, you have the relationship and he's already seen campus so you can get a quick commit. Not bad if that's the goal.

I think that Coach Pope knows what he likes in a big man. If he wants him cool. He knows why and what he sees in the young man.

Well look at it like this (for the record I am not to favorable on Vinson), but if we have 2 centers good enough to keep really good high schoolers from signing, that is a good thing. On the flip is if one of two turns out not to be good and high schoolers still stay away, that is a good thing as they are scared of competition or do not have the confidence in their game to beat out a below average player. Either way, it is a win / win for UK. I want freshmen to come in and believe no matter who is there, they can / will take their spot. But that is just me, no more pampering or catering to 18 year old kids and being held hostage in a way. If you need assurances for playing time, go some where else. If you have game and are confident in it and want to EARN your spot, sign up.

Me either, weird visit to me.

This kid is basically the 13th roster spot. Who do you think UK can get to fill such a spot, Wilt Chamberlian. Will he be a developmental player probably, name a 13th player on just about any other team that isn't. I will trust Pope to recruit and coach his team.

This kid is basically the 13th roster spot. Who do you think UK can get to fill such a spot, Wilt Chamberlian. Will he be a developmental player probably, name a 13th player on just about any other team that isn't. I will trust Pope to recruit and coach his team.
Good point. Also, this Staff is invested in player development where really after Payne left, it was a drop off until Welch joined this past year in terms of guys who will get into the gym and help you work on your game at any point.

Vinson has enough traits, I understand the visit/interest and why they'd possibly take him. Pope has been true to his word-he's going to have a plan with his roster and as you said-if this guy is your 13th guy who commits to staying 2 yrs to see where he's at, I'm good with it. Think we've all been burned by Cal doing this and then everyone is gone and they start anew with 10-12 new players every season.

With only 2 scholarships available, I’m confused as to why we would take this kid?
We won't get another 4/5 ready to play next year because we don't playing time for them; don't think of how good this guy will be next year because he'll likely redshirt next year. If he's good enough to be a good rotation player by his redshirt sophomore year it's a win. If a coach tries to satisfy 13 players on playing time he'll just wind up satisfying none of them.

I do like @ralphdaltonfan's point. Get him on campus, send him elsewhere, and if he pans out and transfers in a year or two, you have the relationship and he's already seen campus so you can get a quick commit. Not bad if that's the goal.
Pre-rejection. A sort of reverse recruitment. I got another idea. We get him on campus and drop an anvil on his foot. Wait. Let me finish.

No. Wait. Come back.

Reactions: EastLansingCat

You sound like Cals battered wife. Maybe, just maybe, moving forward every player on our roster won’t hate being “stuck” at Kentucky for more than one year and we’ll actually have a guy here and there stick around?

Vinson has better footwork, ball handing skills, and shot than Bradshaw. Not sure how he is a 3 star vs Bradshaw a 5.... has a better down low offensive game also. blocks shots as well as Bradshaw and runs the floor as well. wide wingspan, and played at Oak Hill vs some pretty good comp.... I only watched about an hour of you tube tape on the kid but i think he fits very very well for the 13 spot for us...

The guy in the pic walking beside Pope is Vinson, Chaz is 6'4 and the dude beside Pope is his height or taller so has to be Vinson.

Watch the youtube highlights of Vinson, kid has game, I dont know if its because he was like 6'8 a year ago and is now supposedly 6'10/6'11 or if its because he was the 6th man at Oak Hill ... but kids got 4 star talent

Reactions: CatPatrick13
Vinson has better footwork, ball handing skills, and shot than Bradshaw. Not sure how he is a 3 star vs Bradshaw a 5.... has a better down low offensive game also. blocks shots as well as Bradshaw and runs the floor as well. wide wingspan, and played at Oak Hill vs some pretty good comp.... I only watched about an hour of you tube tape on the kid but i think he fits very very well for the 13 spot for us...
I share these same impressions. If we have a roster spot available (that would have gone to the son of a Cal buddy in past years; but Pope has a plan and is refining a team into the future) and this kid is willing to do the work and be developed, he looks to have way more upside than Bradshaw.

Vinson has better footwork, ball handing skills, and shot than Bradshaw. Not sure how he is a 3 star vs Bradshaw a 5.... has a better down low offensive game also. blocks shots as well as Bradshaw and runs the floor as well. wide wingspan, and played at Oak Hill vs some pretty good comp.... I only watched about an hour of you tube tape on the kid but i think he fits very very well for the 13 spot for u

Not a bad bench guy. Has some skills but shys away from contact and needs to get better at that part of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT