ADVERTISEMENT

JaMarcus Russell ($36.4m career earnings) accused of stealing $74k from his HS

Apr 13, 2024
Former No. 1 NFL draft pick JaMarcus Russell was fired as a volunteer assistant coach at his alma mater, Williamson High School in Mobile, Alabama, and is facing a lawsuit accusing him of taking a $74,000 check meant as a donation to the school.

"JaMarcus Russell was relieved of his volunteer coaching duties at Williamson High School during the fall of last year," Mobile County Public School officials told WKRG Sports.

A local business owner, Chris Knowles, wrote the $74,000 check, saying Russell approached him about a donation to help the Williamson football team purchase weight room equipment. The school allegedly never received the check, and Russell reportedly deposited it in a credit union and promptly withdrew $55,000 of it.

In addition to being fired as a coach, Russell is also not allowed to be on the school's campus, according to a statement from Mobile County Public School officials. Russell attended an event for the football team this week, but was told he was not welcome.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ck-jamarcus-russell-fired-coach-faces-lawsuit

He's pretty much the first name that comes to mind when thinking about all-time NFL busts. Had ridiculous physical gifts, but didn't work hard, didn't improve his mental game and then got caught up in drugs. Spectacular flameout.

Reactions: ChaiseyD
He's pretty much the first name that comes to mind when thinking about all-time NFL busts. Had ridiculous physical gifts, but didn't work hard, didn't improve his mental game and then got caught up in drugs. Spectacular flameout.
I'm glad that he took the conversation away from Tim Couch. It was an unfair discussion to Couch anyway considering how badly the Browns did protecting him, but talking heads don't like context.

Anyway... JaMarcus Russell... another testament to the high character of LSU athletics. I could cite another more recent (continuing) example, and be scoffed at as a prude or labeled sexist.

I can’t believe a grown man would work around kids that long and become part of their family and team to just absolutely screw them over like that. It really is a shame and I would bet if he would’ve just asked his community for help, if he needed it, they would’ve done everything in their power to help him. I hope all those young men can see not every adult is like that.

I can’t believe a grown man would work around kids that long and become part of their family and team to just absolutely screw them over like that. It really is a shame and I would bet if he would’ve just asked his community for help, if he needed it, they would’ve done everything in their power to help him. I hope all those young men can see not every adult is like that.
I heard this saying a long time ago, and I think it pertains to this. “Never meet (get to know) your heroes”.

Reactions: JASUN74
He went several years after hanging it up holding the belt as most recent Browns QB to take them to the playoffs, and with a hot garbage supporting cast, especially that "offensive" line.
He and Kevin Johnson had a good connection. Too bad Couch couldn't have had good tackle like Joe Thomas. Poor dude was running for his life back there.

Sounds like the community was already trying to help him by letting him work with their kids, some people just won't let people help them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT