ADVERTISEMENT

J. Wassermen Draft Update/Prediction Re Oscar

If this guy is projecting him to be Pick #60, then he is either an idiot or is suggesting he won't be drafted. There are only 58 picks in this year's draft.

The issue with Cal is that he places the dreams of the players (NBA) way, way above the success of the basketball program. He was hired to win championships for the University of Kentucky, not NBA Draft Night. Cal even said himself on his first public appearance that he wanted to chase UCLA in titles. He has NOT done what was necessary to make that happen, it's not arguable.

As for Oscar, it's well known that he's a workhouse (rebounds) but has issues gelling with others on the court, and being receptive to what's he told by staffing. He had that issue at WVU under Huggins, and it reared its ugly head last season at UK. Cal said something to the effect that Oscar wasn't participating in plays, and even Oscar himself said that he wasn't learning/adapting. There were issues in the lockerroom, and it wasn't just Wheeler.

I think for Oscar, he NEEDS to come back and dedicate his time to doing the things he doesn't do well. That might mean not putting up double digits in rebounds every game, but maybe he makes more of an effort to facilitate and comes up with more assists and blocks. What's important to Oscar? From a lockeroom and team offense perspective, I think a change is needed.
If you believe Oscar is a locker room issue, the last place you would want to bring him back around is a bunch of young players. He definitely should stay in Draft. I'm one who wants him to go Pro because from what I was told that's what he's wanted to do all along. He's accomplished everything he can in CBB individually and he's not the sole reason the team didn't succeed in Postseason. That said, the last thing I want for a new team in '24 is a guy who is being told to return for financial reasons and doesn't want to play or be there. I've never heard of Oscar as a bad locker room guy but I do know that never works in any business/organization/team. People have to want to be there and accomplish something, not told to return to get highest payday and because you are "familiar, it'll be fine".

Calipari backed up his words initially and came up short. I mean '11-'15 Kentucky had a chance to add to the titles. '17 is only other year that I felt they were in the mix to legitimately win the National Championship afterwards. That said if you took Cal from '10-'17--think most fans would say "he did a great job and thanks for the memories". Cal got lazy with staff replacements and hires and that haunts you. Recruiting slips...results will follow in decline. Chasing UCLA (Jim Mora Voice)? He needs to chase Alabama, Tennessee, Arkansas, etc...before worrying about UCLA's historical numbers right now.

Your job as a HC is to tell the player what is best for him. Loyalty is to those who play for you. Everyone hears of when he tells someone to leave but they don't know of times he's said "You should stay" and a guy doesn't listen. People assume everyone listens to what they are told and specifically with coaching. I always tell parents who ask me questions why we didn't do something or did something they questioned--"Does your kid listen to everything you tell him to do? 100% of the time the response is "no". Well why would he listen to us then? They quickly go silent.

He knows far more about the players/families then we do. He's going to know who he has to look for their best interest financially and who can actually just go through/enjoy the process. Your success in recruiting often hurts you when it's Draft time--but fans are fine as long as the product on the court is sustaining championships/contending legitimately (SEC/SEC Tournaments, Final Fours). What's happened is when you get posers who don't know how to do the job and you hire them....they get you delusional or inept people who think just coming to Lexington equates to being an NBA player or prospect. That's happened far too often recently. Nobody on Earth told EJ Montgomery to enter the Draft. Not one person. He left. I'd argue he shouldn't have been at UK anyways. Ashton Hagans is another. Fans get upset what is said publicly when he's supporting guys-but that's not always what he agrees with in terms of their decision, but what you are going to do? Dump on them?

Know many will disagree but I feel his biggest mistake is in listening to the need to get older vets and from bum ass programs who have never won anything of relevance. That set the program back. You take an "All SEC guard" and someone has to put up numbers on a shit team in Athens but was he a winning player? Really a great player? Fredrick was always injured. We all discussed this in a thread. What did he do? Got injured all the time. That's on program. Grady was MIA in games outside of Rupp-but he wanted the platform--got it and crapped the bed. Mintz/Sarr? Programs they left have improved upon their departure. Toppin had talent but Rhode Island was/is a bad program. At some point....you need winning players. Darius Miller being at UK in '10 and '11 factored into his '12 season. Experience matters little to me unless you have performed and in programs that have a winning culture and success. Like Wheeler, crap awful teams need people to do something...so he did. Great...and he's at a bum ass program in Seattle now too. They suck. Mike Hopkins still being employed is one of CBB's mysteries. So UK could've cut out the middle man and been fine.

But back to my #1 issue right now. It's frustrating now. It'll be infuriating if all these guys wait until May 31st. Nobody is that coveted to even hold the program up. Program is not in a place where there would be some surge of excitement either. It's at a point of "Win some ****ing games and Contend or GTFOH", not "This is the start of the.....". Read the room. Another hint for Cal-that means don't think you can sell Bruiser Flint off in anything other than some non important administrative BS role. He's a clown.

If this guy is projecting him to be Pick #60, then he is either an idiot or is suggesting he won't be drafted. There are only 58 picks in this year's draft.
Most Mock Drafts are omitting the picks that were forfeited and still slotting the teams as usual. So him at 60 doesn't mean they were placing any players at the other spots which were forfeited.

If you believe Oscar is a locker room issue, the last place you would want to bring him back around is a bunch of young players. He definitely should stay in Draft. I'm one who wants him to go Pro because from what I was told that's what he's wanted to do all along. He's accomplished everything he can in CBB individually and he's not the sole reason the team didn't succeed in Postseason. That said, the last thing I want for a new team in '24 is a guy who is being told to return for financial reasons and doesn't want to play or be there. I've never heard of Oscar as a bad locker room guy but I do know that never works in any business/organization/team. People have to want to be there and accomplish something, not told to return to get highest payday and because you are "familiar, it'll be fine".

Calipari backed up his words initially and came up short. I mean '11-'15 Kentucky had a chance to add to the titles. '17 is only other year that I felt they were in the mix to legitimately win the National Championship afterwards. That said if you took Cal from '10-'17--think most fans would say "he did a great job and thanks for the memories". Cal got lazy with staff replacements and hires and that haunts you. Recruiting slips...results will follow in decline. Chasing UCLA (Jim Mora Voice)? He needs to chase Alabama, Tennessee, Arkansas, etc...before worrying about UCLA's historical numbers right now.

Your job as a HC is to tell the player what is best for him. Loyalty is to those who play for you. Everyone hears of when he tells someone to leave but they don't know of times he's said "You should stay" and a guy doesn't listen. People assume everyone listens to what they are told and specifically with coaching. I always tell parents who ask me questions why we didn't do something or did something they questioned--"Does your kid listen to everything you tell him to do? 100% of the time the response is "no". Well why would he listen to us then? They quickly go silent.

He knows far more about the players/families then we do. He's going to know who he has to look for their best interest financially and who can actually just go through/enjoy the process. Your success in recruiting often hurts you when it's Draft time--but fans are fine as long as the product on the court is sustaining championships/contending legitimately (SEC/SEC Tournaments, Final Fours). What's happened is when you get posers who don't know how to do the job and you hire them....they get you delusional or inept people who think just coming to Lexington equates to being an NBA player or prospect. That's happened far too often recently. Nobody on Earth told EJ Montgomery to enter the Draft. Not one person. He left. I'd argue he shouldn't have been at UK anyways. Ashton Hagans is another. Fans get upset what is said publicly when he's supporting guys-but that's not always what he agrees with in terms of their decision, but what you are going to do? Dump on them?

Know many will disagree but I feel his biggest mistake is in listening to the need to get older vets and from bum ass programs who have never won anything of relevance. That set the program back. You take an "All SEC guard" and someone has to put up numbers on a shit team in Athens but was he a winning player? Really a great player? Fredrick was always injured. We all discussed this in a thread. What did he do? Got injured all the time. That's on program. Grady was MIA in games outside of Rupp-but he wanted the platform--got it and crapped the bed. Mintz/Sarr? Programs they left have improved upon their departure. Toppin had talent but Rhode Island was/is a bad program. At some point....you need winning players. Darius Miller being at UK in '10 and '11 factored into his '12 season. Experience matters little to me unless you have performed and in programs that have a winning culture and success. Like Wheeler, crap awful teams need people to do something...so he did. Great...and he's at a bum ass program in Seattle now too. They suck. Mike Hopkins still being employed is one of CBB's mysteries. So UK could've cut out the middle man and been fine.

But back to my #1 issue right now. It's frustrating now. It'll be infuriating if all these guys wait until May 31st. Nobody is that coveted to even hold the program up. Program is not in a place where there would be some surge of excitement either. It's at a point of "Win some ****ing games and Contend or GTFOH", not "This is the start of the.....". Read the room. Another hint for Cal-that means don't think you can sell Bruiser Flint off in anything other than some non important administrative BS role. He's a clown.
Bradshaw seems to be the locker room issue waiting to happen.Didn't want another big who can hit 3's on the roster and is getting his way.Players first.

Reactions: Catfan2226
Bradshaw seems to be the locker room issue waiting to happen.Didn't want another big who can hit 3's on the roster and is getting his way.Players first.
Just like Livingston being the 3 all season last year when it didn't fit.Next season is shaping up a nightmare.

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
Bradshaw is well liked by peers and never heard he was a bad teammate at all.
Where was it said he didn't want to play with other players who can shoot/make 3's?

I have no problem with Oscar whatsoever. He gave everything he had and from everything I've heard from friend he's wanted to go and still wants to leave and pursue a professional career. Those around him? Selfish and nothing about their voice speaks to what Oscar wants to do. Hate Cal all you want but he cares about his players and knows what Oscar prefers to do and NBA word was "nothing is going to change-might as well enter now and only thing that happens if you stay is you risk getting injured and are a year older" which is important unless you believe Oscar is really only going to turn 24 this upcoming year. If Oscar is forced to return, Cal's biggest job will be motivating him to embrace something he doesn't want to do. Nobody even thinks of people and their mentality in this-they all have selfish reasons for wanting things to be done to entertain their interests.

He's earned the right to do what he chooses.

Reeves/Livingston....this isn't that hard. Want to stay/go just say something.

To be fair financial reasons are the only thing that matters. If he’s told he could make another $3 million to return, then he should and I’m sure he’d want to as well. I don’t believe Oscar has a problem returning. To be able to have 7 or 8 million dollars before you even play in the NBA is life changing, considering he may never make it.

So you equate everything with PPG but not contribution to a team? Got it. Then he's of no use for this year and you shouldn't give a shit if he stays/goes right?
I blame it mostly on Cal.He was played out of position even though it was at Chris's request and really didn't live up to his high school ranking.I'm tired of self centered players who don't give a shit about winning and just want to run to the NBA even when it's obvious they aren't ready.It's one thing to give in to guys like Wall and Fox who are worth it but to baby guys like Chris who stay one year and don't do shit is getting old.I would like to see UK put first again but yes it isn't happening until Cal is gone.

Last edited:
To be fair financial reasons are the only thing that matters. If he’s told he could make another $3 million to return, then he should and I’m sure he’d want to as well. I don’t believe Oscar has a problem returning. To be able to have 7 or 8 million dollars before you even play in the NBA is life changing, considering he may never make it.
Oscar won't be making the $ he did last year for several reasons. This is projected by people who base everything off what they hear publicly and think it automatically would remain the same.

I have no problem with Oscar whatsoever. He gave everything he had and from everything I've heard from friend he's wanted to go and still wants to leave and pursue a professional career. Those around him? Selfish and nothing about their voice speaks to what Oscar wants to do. Hate Cal all you want but he cares about his players and knows what Oscar prefers to do and NBA word was "nothing is going to change-might as well enter now and only thing that happens if you stay is you risk getting injured and are a year older" which is important unless you believe Oscar is really only going to turn 24 this upcoming year. If Oscar is forced to return, Cal's biggest job will be motivating him to embrace something he doesn't want to do. Nobody even thinks of people and their mentality in this-they all have selfish reasons for wanting things to be done to entertain their interests.

He's earned the right to do what he chooses.

Reeves/Livingston....this isn't that hard. Want to stay/go just say something.
How old do you think Oscar is?

If he is last pick, he should stay in the draft. I don’t know if he can get any higher, just like Ullis, he should have stayed and graduated, but he went when his name was hot and made some money.
Could you imagine the numbers ulis wouldve finished with had he stayed all 4 years. Legit chance to finish as all time leader in 2 or 3 categories

Reactions: Cats192
I’m in the group that says Oscar should pursue his dream. He had a decent combine (defense is what it is), he’ll be 24 next year and no better than today. I say get started as a professional Oscar, wherever that may be.

Reactions: bevcat
Players drafted after about pick 40 are better off undrafted so they can try out for team that specifically needs their niche.

Oscar’s NBA potential hinges on getting started with the right team/fit.

The Austin Reaves story is one of the most interesting draft stories in recent years. (It’s a good read.) Agents hid him from getting drafted, and he’s getting ready to get a good pay day this summer. (I think Livingston's camp may be sandbagging for same reasons.)

I hope the best for Oscar and Chris if they do not return.

Last edited:
Reactions: bevcat
But can he (get that a year from now)? Supppose teams add him, seeing that jumper thinking he could become a good 3pt shooter. But then after 1 more year in college, and Cal not letting him shoot it, could they then decide "huh, he didn't develop it after all". I mean it's a proven fact that the longer a player stays in college, the lower his NBA value is.
Well yeah, if he is the 60th pick in the projections, it's very likely he won’t get picked at all, then what does he have? Nothing and he won’t have the option of returning to school.

The way I look at it, he could come back to UK, make a couple million bucks, then try his hand at the NBA again. His draft projection can't get much worse.

Reactions: bevcat and Cats192
I would love to have him back but that is selfish on my part as a fan, but would another year at UK hurt him for next year’s draft. And if he comes back, Cal isn’t letting Oscar shoot 3’s or handle the ball. His butt will be in the paint, Cal style.
He needs to improve lateral movement and yes, his shooting, but that doesn't mean he has to shoot threes in UK's games, he just has to shoot them well in his NBA workouts.

KAT didn't shoot threes at UK either.

quite the opposite. If he is the last pick then he needs to come to KY and make more NIL money. He has a one year window to get those dollars. The NBA isn't going anywhere. He can be the last pick next year if he wants but he has nowhere to go but up. I suppose he could fall further but if that's what happens then overseas was really his only option
Can’t get it here bc Mitch and Cal won’t allow it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT