ADVERTISEMENT

It's not just the offense folks.....

Catman100

Senior
Jan 3, 2003
Lexington, KY
But the defense as well.

Cal keeps making kids play man to man, who just aren't very good at playing man to man. And unfortunately, the players he might bring in off the bench have the same or other limitations. CJ will hurt the team defensively any time he is in the game. Maybe not against Sisters of the Poor, but against most decent teams. Might throw Reeves in there as well.

I really think the defensive strategy has been a major flaw for a while now. The McD all-american that is a great defensive player is an anomaly, and seems like our transfers are as well. 40 minutes of man to man leads to layups and fouls, and my God, this has been the way it is for years. Amazes me that usually when someone throws a zone at us, it totally changes how the game is being played. Almost always. Why is the zone defense not used for 5-10 minutes a game. Hell if anything to stop Oscar from getting a cheap foul when Fredricks man goes by him?

I can totally understand that your recruit a certain player, or transfer, but you really don't know what you exactly have until they are practicing and playing against SEC and National power opposition. How long does it take to see that perhaps your best laid plans might not work perfectly because key members of the team are not going to stay in front of the person they are guarding. Shouldn't you adjust your coaching and strategy based on your players strengths, and not just keep on trying to put a round peg in a square hole?

Saddest part is that the fan base used to have a lot of confidence going into games like this, not anymore. More fans expected us to be handled exactly like we were handled than thought we would win the game.

Something has to change.

I agree. It’s like a pitcher with just a fastball. Need a second pitch.

Play some zone with this group.

With Reeves and CJ not being great defenders ( and tonight with Oscar in foul trouble) go to the zone. The straight line drives and layups were killing us.

Adjust to your personnel. Should have had Toppin on Timme earlier.

Learn to change the pace at times with some zones. Use it on inbounds under our baskets.

Please utilize your assistants.

We played so loose in the Bahamas with Cal in the stands. You have a great staff. Delegate the inbounds plays to them. Let them install some zones. These kids all played zones in High School.

But the defense as well.

Cal keeps making kids play man to man, who just aren't very good at playing man to man. And unfortunately, the players he might bring in off the bench have the same or other limitations. CJ will hurt the team defensively any time he is in the game. Maybe not against Sisters of the Poor, but against most decent teams. Might throw Reeves in there as well.

I really think the defensive strategy has been a major flaw for a while now. The McD all-american that is a great defensive player is an anomaly, and seems like our transfers are as well. 40 minutes of man to man leads to layups and fouls, and my God, this has been the way it is for years. Amazes me that usually when someone throws a zone at us, it totally changes how the game is being played. Almost always. Why is the zone defense not used for 5-10 minutes a game. Hell if anything to stop Oscar from getting a cheap foul when Fredricks man goes by him?

I can totally understand that your recruit a certain player, or transfer, but you really don't know what you exactly have until they are practicing and playing against SEC and National power opposition. How long does it take to see that perhaps your best laid plans might not work perfectly because key members of the team are not going to stay in front of the person they are guarding. Shouldn't you adjust your coaching and strategy based on your players strengths, and not just keep on trying to put a round peg in a square hole?

Saddest part is that the fan base used to have a lot of confidence going into games like this, not anymore. More fans expected us to be handled exactly like we were handled than thought we would win the game.

Something has to change.
Have to play man to man. We don’t have the skills to play zone. This ain’t church league. That said. You are right. Defense is getting us killed.

Reactions: blue woman
But the defense as well.

Something has to change.
No doubt about it. CJ and Reeves especially bad. Toppin smoked by Hauser, Timme and others. Beat off the dribble routinely, though he's supposed to be some superior athlete. Even Oscar has his own issues.

And yet another reason I want to see more Ugonna and Thiero. Just can't understand why Cal won't do it. It can't be because fans want to see them? Can it? I really hope not.

Calipari is planning what he’s gonna do this Christmas with the family. None of this matters at all. He’s planned on taking a settlement of the buyout next year and will coast until then.

He’s a con man always has been. And we fell for it. At least we got a title out of it.

Calipari is planning what he’s gonna do this Christmas with the family. None of this matters at all. He’s planned on taking a settlement of the buyout next year and will coast until then.

He’s a con man always has been. And we fell for it. At least we got a title out of it.
He’s gonna go be with his dogs, see his daughter in Nashville and post more pictures of his old random friends on Instagram.

Have to play man to man. We don’t have the skills to play zone. This ain’t church league. That said. You are right. Defense is getting us killed.
Exactly how do you know we don't have the skills to play zone? Isn't that a simple defense?
And what exactly proves we have the skills to play man to man?

Reactions: blue woman
Need to pressure the ball more and yes, play zone for probably 1/2 the game. Thought the idea was to win, however you can. We have players that can’t play man to man against certain competition, not that they aren’t good, just that they’re being put in positions to get burnt.

We have long players that would thrive in full court and zone applications, but a coach who is too damned stubborn or ignorant, however you want to put it, to do so.

Also we have (11) capable players to get in and give it all, and I’m sure they’re willing to do so, but a coach who wants a rotation of 7 players. Screw him and his shittty system.

Teams need only prepare for a simple man-man scheme...just switch until you have the stump with feet on a PF and drive it to the hole...so simple a coach at a Metro Athletic Conference could do it...

Bonus points: Find the dumbass in this picture

st-petered1.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT