ADVERTISEMENT

It’s Official: Pitino to St. Johns

Six years. My god the man will end up rolling up and down the sideline in a chair. Isn't he 70 already?
Old Man Dance GIF

Gonna be a lot of closet st John fans on here.

Pitino will be dead before 6 years is up. He wouldn't last 6 months at UK at his age.

We need a younger guy. Like Oats but barnie would never hire him.

• Haha
Reactions: westerncat
Hey I am 77 and I can out work most young people today !

No doubt you can. My grandfather owned a car servicing business. He worked on them every day for 10 hours up until he was 90 years old. He may have kept it 95 degrees(I mention this only because I find it a common theme among my older relatives who all do the same thing) in his home in the middle of August here in Cincinnati, but the man knew nothing but work his entire life. Even had time to raise 8 successful children.

April 17, 1997:

“I’ll be back at my ol’ Kentucky home trying to win another championship,” he told the Bloomberg Forum. "There’s no monetary amount that can get me to leave.”

That lie was laid to rest less than a month later:

May 7, 1997:

His contract stipulates that he will remain with the Celtics after he is through with coaching, and Pitino said this is probably his final coaching job.

“If we’re successful, I will grow old with the Boston Celtics,” he said. “If we lose, I’ll just grow old.”

Flash forward a few decades, and it's still the same song:

November 19, 2020:

“For me, [Iona is] a way to end a career. It’s the way I wanted to end. I started, early on, at a small school that I deeply loved, Providence College, and now I can end at a similar-type situation at Iona, end a career that spanned over 40 years of professional and college basketball. God willing, I have about seven or eight years left in coaching. I’m still as passionate as ever. There’s no finer place to work than Iona College.”

March 20, 2023:

Pitino thanking [SIC] the Iona administration and his players in a series of tweets Monday.

"... I'm not sad it ended. I'm so grateful it happened," he tweeted, adding: "To my players, the last three years. All I can say is you know how much I love you."

St. John's courted Pitino, 70, fervently since firing coach Mike Anderson recently, and landed him with what's being described as a lucrative financial package.

🤪

Gonna be a lot of closet st John fans on here.

Pitino will be dead before 6 years is up. He wouldn't last 6 months at UK at his age.

We need a younger guy. Like Oats but barnie would never hire him.
Well let be be the first out of the closet bandwagon St John’s fan. I’m definitely not talking about St. John Calipari either.

St John’s is my second favorite team, so I’m happy. I even made peace with them poking Kenny Walkers eyes years ago.

I’m excited and hope he rebuilds the brand.

Reactions: bigbluedon
I'm sure you can! I just make a point that it seems crazy people keep working until they're nearly 80 these days. Especially people that could easily cash out now and relax.
I'm 70. Doing my best work ever. Love what I am doing. Young people want to listen and learn from me.

Reactions: susan2361
I doubt Pitino makes St. Johns a national power. Maybe a top 25 team but, not a scary program like UK was when he was here. He'll build SJ up a bit and turn it over to Richard. LOL!

As an aside, I heard Mike Anderson was suing SJ over his termination. They fired him with cause (not sure what the cause was) and he thinks they owe him $11 mil.

I’m sure that the higher-ups at that Catholic institution just couldn’t be more proud of the man they have hired, and the unimpeachable character he’s shown throughout his career.
Those hypocritical pedos are already trying to steal Mike Andersons buyout.
Like all things religion, the higher ups approve making that money and nothing more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT