ADVERTISEMENT

It’s Bigger than Cal and UK, IMO

Philstat

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2004
We are on the precipice of the complete collapse of collegiate sports as we’ve known it throughout our collective lives. The vast overwhelming majority of these guys have no tie or buy in, it’s all about getting to the next level, not just here, any program, there are thousands of positions overseas for a solid Div I player. NIL, the portal, money, corruption, politics, etc., destroyed anything and everything we loved earlier in our lives. Today’s attitude “I‘m gonna get mine” no matter the impact to everything and everyone else, it’s me, me, me...

Last edited:
In a twisted way I almost don't even blame the NCAA for their resistance all these years.

Now that the money is flowing through the gates it's an entirely different game.

Still with a better H/C the Cats are one of the best teams to capitalize on this change.

We'll be postured much better than many, though it's all going to collectively cave in the coming years, IMO, it's unsustainable in its current form for the long-haul, fans are losing interest across the board on sports, on all fronts outside of the NFL and soccer, and even then, to a degree.

Change != collapse. The only thing constant in college basketball over the past 60 years has been change. We just need to adapt and optimize the program to succeed in this environment.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Sadly I think you’re right. Cal has shat the bed and it’s his own fault he doesn’t have a roster and/or ability to win tournament games but it is objectively ridiculous that dudes born in 1999 are up against 18 year olds. Get a job dude.

Change != collapse. The only thing constant in college basketball over the past 60 years has been change. We just need to adapt and optimize the program to succeed in this environment.

I mean the overall fan passion for the game itself...just look at the seating in Rupp over the past few years, people are stretched to the core financially anymore, the more NIL goes, the more financial pressure it will put on everyone involved. CBB is now the new D-League in many ways.

I mean the overall fan passion for the game itself...just look at the seating in Rupp over the past few years, people are stretched to the core financially anymore, the more NIL goes, the more financial pressure it will put on everyone involved. CBB is now the new D-League in many ways.

I think correlating UK fan interest in one of the worst 4 year stretches in UK history to the health of college basketball is quite misleading. College football faces the same conditions and had record ratings in college football this year.

We'll be postured much better than many, though it's all going to collectively cave in the coming years, IMO, it's unsustainable in its current form for the long-haul, fans are losing interest across the board on sports, on all fronts outside of the NFL and soccer, and even then, to a degree.

Agreed... interest in sports is dying among younger fans. They have a lot of different forms of entertainment than we did growing up.

Curious also how long the money flows for these businesses and donors for sub-par results year after year. Can't imagine they like forking over millions of dollars for a slight boost in their business. Unless they can count this as a tax write off?

I think correlating UK fan interest in one of the worst 4 year stretches in UK history to the health of college basketball is quite misleading. College football faces the same conditions and had record ratings in college football this year.

I just believe that will become more of a prominent issue moving forward, it might be generational, though I do believe many that are older are going to emotionally divest from the tragedy that is now college sports.

Disagree the NBA has taken a huge hit as well. I think it's more of a basketball issue.

Basketball and this is my experience.... I find it boring and predictable. There isn't a 3 point shot or a dunk that gets me excited. I really only watch Kentucky play and March Madness.

Football on the other hand there always seems to be a play that's never been made and huge hits still are exciting.

Reactions: Philstat
I just believe that will become more of a prominent issue moving forward, it might be generational, though I do believe many that are older are going to emotionally divest from the tragedy that is now college sports.

I mean, to each their own, but at the end of the day, the country just wants to be entertained by close games and the thrill of March Madness.

Disagree the NBA has taken a huge hit as well. I think it's more of a basketball issue.

Basketball and this is my experience.... I find it boring and predictable. There isn't a 3 point shot or a dunk that gets me excited. I really only watch Kentucky play and March Madness.

Football on the other hand there always seems to be a play that's never been made and huge hits still are exciting.

I agree 100%, now NBA teams are routinely scoring 130+ points on any given night, it's absolutely crazy, as John Wall said years ago, you will be despised if you play old school and try to lock dudes down, it's all about getting their moment, regardless of outcome.

I mean, to each their own, but at the end of the day, the country just wants to be entertained by close games and the thrill of March Madness.

Agree, just hearing Saban's comments recently, coaches are now having to coddle and recruit kids 24x7/365 now, at all times, even when they're already on your team, at any moment, boom, they can lift off and go elsewhere. I honestly believe Cal is starting to load balance PT for these guys, I really do, I believe a lot of the so-called injuries are just that, he's load balancing, it's more about getting the asset ready for the next level than to win games for UK.

I agree that college basketball is probably headed for some sort of collapse or at least a modest downfall. But that's not the issue with Cal. He doesn't coach to win games.

Some people are still fighting this. If the players seem selfish it’s because that’s the culture Cal has created. These all seem to be good kids. But they need a leader who is dedicated to winning and wants to put the work in to achieve that. He proved night after night that winning games is not important to him by running the wrong lineup out there. This is a combination of promises made and him being too arrogant to admit he’s wrong about kids talents. But if your coach’s top priority at Kentucky is not winning national championships, then why is he still here?

Reactions: know1
In a twisted way I almost don't even blame the NCAA for their resistance all these years.

Now that the money is flowing through the gates it's an entirely different game.

Still with a better H/C the Cats are one of the best teams to capitalize on this change.
I blame them. Their inaction led to the dam bursting. Instead of being a guiding body that regulated and meditated rules on contracts and benefits, they dug their heels in and became more useless than teats on a boar hog basically overnight.

Instead of students getting compensated reasonably for things like games, merch, and autographs, teams can offer anything they want to the kids.

Emmert and his ilk can kick rocks. HE was the one who had the power at the right time to change the NCAA when everyone else recognized what was coming down the pike.

We are on the precipice of the complete collapse of collegiate sports as we’ve known it throughout our collective lives. The vast overwhelming majority of these guys have no tie or buy in, it’s all about getting to the next level, not just here, any program, there are thousands of positions overseas for a solid Div I player. NIL, the portal, money, corruption, politics, etc., destroyed anything and everything we loved earlier in our lives. Today’s attitude “I‘m gonna get mine” no matter the impact to everything and everyone else, it’s me, me, me...
Make players commit to 4 years and work on degrees ... make them sign a contract to stay four years. For the ones that want to risk going pro ... good luck to them. Build college basketball around STUDENT athletes. Once enough of them blow off the college path and fall on their face, losing the college opportunity to prepare for a potential pro career, the best players will opt to the four-year college decision. But, you are right in your assessment of the state of the game and process as of now. Everything is for the quick dollar and Calipari is the number one enabler in the game. Every decision he makes is for the wrong reasons and it's sad but I believe true.

College sports are a joke now. Donating to pay players? LOL. I hope the ''just let them sign a basketball for 20 dollars'' crowd is happy. Maybe they're giving them wads of 100s. What a joke.

I would argue that it's going where it should be. It needed to collapse. It is finally correcting itself.
The "me, me, me's" the past 40 years have been P5 university 'corporations', media conglomerates, and and fans that fund them. On the backs of the student athletes. You (and yes I) may have enjoyed it, but it was a bad, unfair, and corrupt model.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I think college football can survive in it's usual format longer than basketball. Football is more team oriented, where as basketball can, and is, much more individualized. I have no clue what college basketball may look like in 5-10 years, but I'll bet it's ugly and valueless.

I would argue that it's going where it should be. It needed to collapse. It is finally correcting itself.
The "me, me, me's" the past 40 years have been P5 university 'corporations', media conglomerates, and and fans that fund them. On the backs of the student athletes. You (and yes I) may have enjoyed it, but it was a bad, unfair, and corrupt model.
There's a lot of truth in that, no doubt, truly the case, though it's gone a complete 180 and I can only speak for myself, I canceled cable, mostly because of Disney and ESPN, where I live, that accounts for about 50% of the cable fee, many are doing the same. My son is a senior at an SEC school and most of he and his friends had minimal interest in attending games, believe the younger generation will slowly move away from it. They will essentially be priced out, I was at a store recently where a bunch of SEC merchandise, t-shirts with a school logo, $28 after taxes, on sale, sorry, this generation coming up, at least not, IMO, are going to spend what little money they have on a bunch of this BS anymore.

It is a joke for UK fans to talk about the so-called ills with college sports. If anything, we are either part of the problem or lacking in intellect to take advantage of it. The system is certainly tilted in our favor as well as other so-called blue bloods. Our only problem is that we have an incompetent administration and coach who are too stupid to leverage it to our advantage. It is ridiculous to hate the process because we have a coach who thinks it is still 2004 and don't know how to function in it. There didn't appear to be a problem with the system until it became obvious that we were incapable of succeeding in it. Mitch burned the house down when he linked the university to a lifetime commitment to an idiot.

It is a joke for UK fans to talk about the so-called ills with college sports. If anything, we are either part of the problem or lacking in intellect to take advantage of it. The system is certainly tilted in our favor as well as other so-called blue bloods. Our only problem is that we have an incompetent administration and coach who are too stupid to leverage it to our advantage. It is ridiculous to hate the process because we have a coach who thinks it is still 2004 and don't know how to function in it. There didn't appear to be a problem with the system until it became obvious that we were incapable of succeeding in it. Mitch burned the house down when he linked the university to a lifetime commitment to an idiot.
This ^^^
And I would add... anyone on this forum that gets excited about bunch of 5* HS kids coming in... should be permanently banned.

• Haha
Reactions: LmdCat
The only thing worse than last night loss are fans basically blaming the system because our program has been mismanaged.

Great post , I concur 100%

This ^^^
And I would add... anyone on this forum that gets excited about bunch of 5* HS kids coming in... should be permanently banned.
Cal's system is as out of place for today's game as a 1970s leisure suit for prom night.

The only thing worse than last night loss are fans basically blaming the system because our program has been mismanaged.

I personally believe it's bigger than that, I just do, we have had some of the worst inflation in the past few years than what we have in decades, everything has gone up considerably in cost, most households have both spouses working, a lot, just to make ends meet, kids coming out of college right now have it appears to be a bleaker chance of success than what we had many years ago. Just saying many are going to check out from this whole scene, this is being amplified at UK, because of Cal, many like myself are not even surprised about last night, I just laughed when I saw the final score, knowing Cal and Mitch won't be held accountable. Just believe many youth today are going to be so cash strapped, going forward, they're not going to spend the time, energy and ultimately money that we mostly did over the years. Believe sports are going to become more distanced from many in the coming years, hopefully, I'm wrong.

Reactions: RunninRichie
If it does collapse, it will still exist in some form, and we'll still watch it. But like a forest burning down leads to new growth, it'll build back up.

I personally believe it's bigger than that, I just do, we have had some of the worst inflation in the past few years than what we have in decades, everything has gone up considerably in cost, most households have both spouses working, a lot, just to make ends meet, kids coming out of college right now have it appears to be a bleaker chance of success than what we had many years ago. Just saying many are going to check out from this whole scene, this is being amplified at UK, because of Cal, many like myself are not even surprised about last night, I just laughed when I saw the final score, knowing Cal and Mitch won't be held accountable. Just believe many youth today are going to be so cash strapped, going forward, they're not going to spend the time, energy and ultimately money that we mostly did over the years. Believe sports are going to become more distanced from many in the coming years, hopefully, I'm wrong.
Other teams are playing in the same environment we play in. The problem is from within.

Kind of ironic that what Cal helped to usher in with regard to one-and-done players and his advocating for pay-for-play is now seemingly what has played a large role in his undoing as a successful coach at UK (along with his sheer ineptitude as an in-game X-and-O bench coach).

Kind of ironic that what Cal helped to usher in with regard to one-and-done players and his advocating for pay-for-play is now seemingly what has played a large role in his undoing as a successful coach at UK (along with his sheer ineptitude as an in-game X-and-O bench coach).
You guys are really fishing. Cow simply can't coach. If we had Oakland's 3 point shooter, he wouldn't get into the game because Cow couldn't hide him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT