ADVERTISEMENT

Is This Team a Final Four Team?

Don't really think so. Lack of Defense will get them at some point

If we get a good draw with teams that don't like to play defense, yeah we could make it to the FF. If we run into a classic mich st/uk 48-47, drive a threaded rod through your eye, thriller, we're screwed.
Yep. Bracket matchups are so critical. If they’re playing reasonably well and don’t encounter a matchup nightmare they can make a FF. Then it’s game on for a title.

Reactions: ArcticChar
Kentucky is literally an exact copy of Miami from last year. I could be wrong but I think Miami’s defense numbers were even worst than Kentuckys are. But Kentucky is extremely similar. Miami had a elite playmaker/scorer in Wong, Kentucky has 3 guys like that in Sheppard/dilkingham/reeves, Miami had good wing shooter in pack, poplar, Kentucky has multiple guys who can shoot, Miami had a really good forward and center combo with miller and omeir. Kentucky doesn’t have anybody as good as Jordan miller, but between Edwards theiro Ivisic, Mitchell and ugo/ Bradshaw they can get close to what the Miami guys did

Last edited:
I just don’t believe Cal can get to another FF. I think that either the game has passed him by or he is so focused on the NBA that he can’t put a competitive team together anymore. I’m not even mad about it anymore, just frustrated and disappointed to feel that way.

First time poster here, so "hey" to my fellow UK fans
I agree with who were seeded against..yes..offensively were as good as anyone ..defense of course is shaky ..Was it the Gonzaga game where they took it time and time again inside down low for a score after we scored about 5 straight times? A team that can do that scares me alittle.

Reactions: UKortho
No disrespect, but you just don’t decide to play defense. We have played 29 games now so improvement at this stage of the season will be minuscule at best.. We have an outstanding offensive team, but our defense is average at best. A very entertaining team, but I think our longest winning streak is 3 games. Have to win 4 to get to the Final Four and while possible, not likely in my opinion.

One advantage we will have in the NCAA tournament is few teams have played games at the pace UK does - hard to adjust when you only have 3-4 days to game plan. If we shoot 3’s at 40% or better and not get in foul trouble (specifically Rob, Shep, and Antonio), we can beat anyone. Conversely, can lose to anyone if 3’s don’t fall and these guys get in foul trouble. My hope is COW lets them run and play free and does not “start coaching” and try something different. These kids seem to get along and not care who gets the accolades, so I hope that our best basketball is ahead of us as we will need great play to get to the Final Four
I totally agree with you, we both have seen how MOST of the season they haven't played good defense, but there has been the occasional spurt where they did. I can't with a hundred percent certainty say that they won't play with enough defense to win the close games or prevent teams from going on runs. Can you?

Reactions: Kyhoward
If "the game has passed (Cal) by" and if we are not a "competitive team", then how pray tell are we leading the nation in scoring? What happened to the predictions that Cal would play the three seven footers on the court together?

It's patently obvious to me that Z is getting more comfortable by the day and will continue to do so and Cal is relying on him more and more going forward. He is beginning to really make a difference on the defensive backboard (which was a weakness for us), leading to more fast break opportunities. With Edwards definitely trending up on both ends of the court and Thiero and Wagner getting healthy again, and with Sheppard and Dillingham (who compete their butts off) getting the hang of what it takes to defend college guards, I believe we will be much better as a team defensively by NCAA tournament time.

That is a huge trend to break, but I wonder how many of those teams had two top 10 picks, and another All-American level player, in addition to potentially three or four other future NBA players?

This UK team is peculiar in so many ways, that I don't really think the historic comparisons fit well with them.
Good points.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
No.

Can’t defend like we do and win four in a row against good competition.

Also, the fact that Cal is still tinkering with the lineups, not playing one of the best players nearly enough minutes, and using too many players makes it difficult.

I believe this team could make noise with Reed, Dillingham, Reeves, Thiero, and Z/Mitchell (if he’s hitting from the perimeter and attempting to rebound and defend) playing the bulk of the minutes. Bring in Wagner and Edwards when others need rest or if Dillingham is in foul trouble or turning it over too much. Play Bradshaw sparingly. If we actually did that - I think we’d could make a run.

But Cal won’t be doing that. He will run with Wagner, Reeves, Edwards, Thiero, Ugo/Bradshaw to start the game. He won’t play Thiero or Dillingham enough and he’ll play Wagner and Mitchell too much and we will get bounced.

Cal teaches his guys to play NBA defense. Kentucky is not an NBA team. He won’t teach grab ,Hold ,Hack, They can’t call them all defense. Other coaches do. Especially Barns at Tennessee. Arkansas came in coached to foul 100 times. It WAS THE GAME PLAN. SEC allows that. I don’t see how you could assemble any team and play hands off NBA defense and beat a grab,hold ,hack SEC team,and tournament teams for 6 in a row. Cal Must take what COLLEGE OFFICIALS ALLOW O
of we will never win 6 straight under him. He won’t do that. It doesn’t prepare his players for the league. Rick Pitino Hacked his was to a championship at Louisville. He recognized NCAA officials would let it go if you fouled 10 times on the first possession. I’ve never seen any team foul as much as that team and it worked.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I’ll be rooting for all I got for the Cats, but in reality the lack of defense and lack of rebounding will be the demise

Reactions: catzcan
We haven’t played 29 games with these players.

Everyone of these guys are a different player than they were.

This is a top 4 team right now and not a finished product.
Not a finished product? Buddy it’s March, how much more time do they need to become a “finished product” ?

Reactions: catzcan
We really need to be a 3/2 seed for that. If we're a 4/5 seed we're going to likely have to get by a #1 in the sweet 16 and then the 3/2 in the next game.

At least if we're a 3.. there's a chance the 1 falls to the 4 and we just need to get by the 2.

Not to mention we'd have an easier first two games as the lower seed.

I think we can beat any team, up until those top 4 or 5 teams.. the Uconn/purdue/Houston teams will be tough. I can't objectively pick us to win against them.

My concern is a lot of people might now be be counting on Z to carry our front line and round out the lineup. I'd like to think that's possible but what happens, due to lack of time on the court, when he falls short of that? Its not like Ugo or Bradshaw are necessarily able to fill that void.

At times I've thought our offense was so good that if you try to muck up the game and slow down the tempo we'll just blow you out. That was proven wrong earlier in conference. I think this team can do that and we're getting closer.

It's gonna have to be we're gonna put up a hundred, you better run with us or get blown out. We dictate tempo. We're capable of that. Hope that's the plan.

The thing I really like about his team, they don't get nervous when a team makes a run. They buckle down and make one of their own. It's all about who is hot at the right time, we are very good right now. Will it carry over? If it does we are like every team in the top 20, we have a chance to run the table. Here's praying we can keep it up.
This is one of Cals better teams in the last few years of staying poised and can win tight games

I like our odds when playing the quick turnaround games. For example, if we play on a Thursday and win in round #1, then we get to play on Saturday. Will the opposing team have the legs and wherewithal to run with UK after just one day's rest? Will the opposing team be able to game plan Kentucky with a quick turnaround?

The strength there is also the weakness, however, if we make the Sweet Sixteen. I could see a good coach absolutely owning Calipari in the Sweet Sixteen with three or four days of scouting preparation and eyeing our atrocious ball screen defense.

So yeah, I actually feel better about our 2nd run and potential Elite Eight games, then I do about our first round and Sweet Sixteen games due to what we can do against teams that don't have time to prepare for us.

No. Unless the bracket and matchups really open up to favor UK.

I think the roster is actually much less constructed to make a FF than many folks. But again let’s see how the brackets unfold.

Need readjust with Mitchell and hope he stays healthy
The reality is that Thiero is better at the 4 than Tre. You need defense and rebounding from that spot, and someone who can do dirty work. When Tre was at the 5, he was hitting from outside, posting up a bit, and making good passes against zones. But he’s never been a great rebounder or defender, and now he can’t hit from deep. Thiero shoots at about the same clip and is penetrating and passing well.

Tre should play 15 minutes max, and we’d be further along if Cal would’ve given Thiero more minutes and Mitchell less throughout the season.

Miami made the Final Four last year and their KenPom Adj Def ranking was 99, which is about where UK is this year. So UK can definitely make the Final Four. Winning two games there might be tough, but who knows.

I can see it, but wouldn’t predict it at this point.

The X-factor to me is how we’ve played in big games. Our best defensive performances have been in big games against teams we doubted we had a chance against. Most recently, Alabama and Auburn.

What does this team do when every game is a big game? When we get into the tournament, where it is win or go home, does the team seize the moment and peak defensively, or do they wilt? When I Think about what we’ve seen this season, I get optimistic. But only time will tell.

That is the key.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT