ADVERTISEMENT

Is This Team a Final Four Team?

When I watch other teams (in the top 25), I see plenty of teams I believe can win enough to get into the Final Four. UK is one of them (bias aside), but the real tough teams play great defense, which I believe will be our kryptonite

We have had trouble winning 3 games in a row in the SEC. Aat this point, If we win 4 in a row to make a final four, I'll consider it a lucky year.

Reactions: ck-2 and gbl97
If we get a good draw with teams that don't like to play defense, yeah we could make it to the FF. If we run into a classic mich st/uk 48-47, drive a threaded rod through your eye, thriller, we're screwed.

Last edited:
This team could lose the first weekend, or make the FF.

Neither would surprise me one bit.

Same!

Final Four/title is certainly the ceiling. We are much better, deeper version of Miami's team last year (surprisingly with an even better defense and certainly a better offense)- they proved it can win in March on their way to the Final Four.

If we decide to play defense from the get-go each game, then a resounding yes. Otherwise, we'll be going home early.

Reactions: rivercatinfl
I think it's a FF team and have all season. I've got a room booked in Az and have had since summer. I'll be very disappointed with anything less.

Reactions: mebeblue2
The thing I really like about his team, they don't get nervous when a team makes a run. They buckle down and make one of their own. It's all about who is hot at the right time, we are very good right now. Will it carry over? If it does we are like every team in the top 20, we have a chance to run the table. Here's praying we can keep it up.

The talent is there and I have never questioned that. Need to stay healthy and keep trending upwards. If they beat Tennessee in Knoxville, then I most certainly believe Kentucky can make a run. Drop the game at Tennessee and win the SEC Tournament, I still believe they can go on a Final 4 run.

I’ve dubbed this year’s squad The Heartbreak Cats, and yes, I’m ashamed for doing so. Just seems like every time I get my hopes up, we tank a game we were supposed to have won. Those losses are still heartbreaking for me. Maybe not as much as years past when I would plunge into depression until the next game…but losses still sting.

So my heart (and sometimes my eyes) tell me these guys really could win it all but my head thinks of fools gold.

Feels like Charlie Brown whiffing on kicking a football with Lucy as placeholder.

Someone posted only one or two teams have ever made it to the final four with a defensive efficiency as low as ours. That’s a huge trend to break.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Someone posted only one or two teams have ever made it to the final four with a defensive efficiency as low as ours. That’s a huge trend to break.
That is a huge trend to break, but I wonder how many of those teams had two top 10 picks, and another All-American level player, in addition to potentially three or four other future NBA players?

This UK team is peculiar in so many ways, that I don't really think the historic comparisons fit well with them.

Reactions: Cats192 and BBNinSC
This team is getting better offensively (with the right combinations). Defensively, we're getting a tad better. The SEC is a tough league top to bottom with VERY inconsistent officiating. I would peg us at 15-1 to win it all.

Offensively, obviously yes. They will, however, see another level of defense thrown at them in the tourney. Some savvy coach and physical team could end their tourney early. Or this team could make the final 4. After that it's a crap shoot who wins.

uconn is probably and should be the favorite but after that i think 15 teams who could make the final four.

The defense is getting better. Te rebounding is getting better. The offense is top of the line. Cal is the best coach in the country and we won't have to deal with SEC officials in the NCAA tourney. And we won't have to go into SEC hellholes.

We will be a much better team on neutral courts without football referees.

I just don’t believe Cal can get to another FF. I think that either the game has passed him by or he is so focused on the NBA that he can’t put a competitive team together anymore. I’m not even mad about it anymore, just frustrated and disappointed to feel that way.

Reactions: CGblue
Ceiling is a Final Four.

Floor is a first round loss, of course.

I split the difference and expect a Sweet Sixteen appearance.

That’s disappointing with the amount of talent we have.

Sadly, I do not believe they are due to our defense. I think Elite 8 at best. Probably Sweet 16.

If we decide to play defense from the get-go each game, then a resounding yes. Otherwise, we'll be going home early.
No disrespect, but you just don’t decide to play defense. We have played 29 games now so improvement at this stage of the season will be minuscule at best.. We have an outstanding offensive team, but our defense is average at best. A very entertaining team, but I think our longest winning streak is 3 games. Have to win 4 to get to the Final Four and while possible, not likely in my opinion.

One advantage we will have in the NCAA tournament is few teams have played games at the pace UK does - hard to adjust when you only have 3-4 days to game plan. If we shoot 3’s at 40% or better and not get in foul trouble (specifically Rob, Shep, and Antonio), we can beat anyone. Conversely, can lose to anyone if 3’s don’t fall and these guys get in foul trouble. My hope is COW lets them run and play free and does not “start coaching” and try something different. These kids seem to get along and not care who gets the accolades, so I hope that our best basketball is ahead of us as we will need great play to get to the Final Four

No disrespect, but you just don’t decide to play defense. We have played 29 games now so improvement at this stage of the season will be minuscule at best.. We have an outstanding offensive team, but our defense is average at best. A very entertaining team, but I think our longest winning streak is 3 games. Have to win 4 to get to the Final Four and while possible, not likely in my opinion.

One advantage we will have in the NCAA tournament is few teams have played games at the pace UK does - hard to adjust when you only have 3-4 days to game plan. If we shoot 3’s at 40% or better and not get in foul trouble (specifically Rob, Shep, and Antonio), we can beat anyone. Conversely, can lose to anyone if 3’s don’t fall and these guys get in foul trouble. My hope is COW lets them run and play free and does not “start coaching” and try something different. These kids seem to get along and not care who gets the accolades, so I hope that our best basketball is ahead of us as we will need great play to get to the Final Four
We haven’t played 29 games with these players.

Everyone of these guys are a different player than they were.

This is a top 4 team right now and not a finished product.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT