ADVERTISEMENT

Is the UK basketball program on the verge of becoming another Indiana?

BTW, with all the talk about Cal mailing it in and no longer caring, etc, he still has the number one class coming in. From almost any perspective, that seems like a disconnect to me. Regardless of how the fans feel right now, the top recruits still want to play for Cal. That would make an interesting thread if people would discuss it intelligently.

First of all, the top recruits aren’t winning titles anymore. It’s 3 and 4 star guys being developed by actual coaches.

Secondly, if Chin and Antigua hadn’t come, we’d still be signing the Devin Askews and Jemarl Bakers of the world.

Number one classes are irrelevant to this modern game. The players won’t stay past one year and freshmen don’t win titles. Unless you want to hang recruiting banners that line of argument Is meaningless.

Admittedly, the ice is thin right now. However, with the right transfers I think we have a shot. If it doesn't work out, I do think there will be tremendous pressure for a change. I am willing to let it play out. I realize many of our fans have already decided next year will be another flop. I will watch the season next year starting out with a lot of joy and anticipation. I don't know what those who have already given up will do. Maybe watch hockey or NBA???

First of all, the top recruits aren’t winning titles anymore. It’s 3 and 4 star guys being developed by actual coaches.
Shortly after Cal arrived, I said that it takes TALENT and EXPERIENCE to win a title. I had a lot of blow back for saying that. At the time, everyone was screaming that all you need is talent.

Cal has never really adapted to the reality that it takes both. The transfer portal has turned the world of college basketball upside down because now you can get both.

Reactions: ruppsrunt66
I grew up in Indy and saw the slow demise of Knight and IU basketball. I saw the fans that were more loyal to Knight than the program. I actually saw new Texas Tech fans around central Indy when he got hired there. I saw the years of denial and living off legacy and hope. Making excuses for mediocrity. The feeling of having to be loyal, to a fault, to a coach and not the program. Are there parallels between IU then and how they became mediocre for basically an entire generation of IU fans?? Absolutely there are!

Reactions: natchezrule
IU basketball during the 1970's, 80's & 90,s was as good as any program in the country. I'm sure if anyone would have told an Indiana fan after they made the Final Four in 1992 that they would make only 1 Final Four over the next 31 years they would have laughed at you...... And now here we are at Kentucky with our next chance at the FF will be in 2024 we are now going on 9 years without a Final Four. With Calipari & his coaching staff I've got ZERO reason for hope that next season will be any better than the last 2 years have been. And with Calipari's contract we're stuck with this guy for at least the next 3 years before UK could buy him out. At that time our FF draught would have reached 11 years. Then the problem will be, that the man that will be hiring Calipari's replacement Mitch Barnhart has a track record for hiring duds. Joker Phillips, Billy Gillispie, Kyra Elzy not to mention the fact that's he's the one that gave Calipari this ridiculous contract of his. Let him hire another clown like Gillispie & let this guy go 3 or 4 years without making another Final Four then our FF draught will be 14 or 15 years. Double digit loss seasons 14/15 years without a Final Four we would be no better than Indiana. Mitch Barnhart has got to go before Calipari's replacement is named. The longer this is allowed to fester the closer we get to being like Indiana. If it happened at Indiana, it could happen anywhere.
I would say Cal has turned UK into an obscure blue blood, we really haven't done much since 2015 and I don't expect much any more.

BTW, with all the talk about Cal mailing it in and no longer caring, etc, he still has the number one class coming in. From almost any perspective, that seems like a disconnect to me. Regardless of how the fans feel right now, the top recruits still want to play for Cal. That would make an interesting thread if people would discuss it intelligently.
He mails in the coaching. There's little doubt of that. He does still put some effort in recruiting.

He mails in the coaching. There's little doubt of that. He does still put some effort in recruiting.

Considering all the connections these kids have, why would their advisors/handlers/parents send them into a program in which they believe the coach isn't really coaching. If my kid were a top D-1 talent and wanted to go to UNC, for example, I would do everything in my power to steer him away from Hubert Davis. I might decide Danny Hurley is a better option. So, what is the draw for Cal?

IU basketball during the 1970's, 80's & 90,s was as good as any program in the country. I'm sure if anyone would have told an Indiana fan after they made the Final Four in 1992 that they would make only 1 Final Four over the next 31 years they would have laughed at you...... And now here we are at Kentucky with our next chance at the FF will be in 2024 we are now going on 9 years without a Final Four. With Calipari & his coaching staff I've got ZERO reason for hope that next season will be any better than the last 2 years have been. And with Calipari's contract we're stuck with this guy for at least the next 3 years before UK could buy him out. At that time our FF draught would have reached 11 years. Then the problem will be, that the man that will be hiring Calipari's replacement Mitch Barnhart has a track record for hiring duds. Joker Phillips, Billy Gillispie, Kyra Elzy not to mention the fact that's he's the one that gave Calipari this ridiculous contract of his. Let him hire another clown like Gillispie & let this guy go 3 or 4 years without making another Final Four then our FF draught will be 14 or 15 years. Double digit loss seasons 14/15 years without a Final Four we would be no better than Indiana. Mitch Barnhart has got to go before Calipari's replacement is named. The longer this is allowed to fester the closer we get to being like Indiana. If it happened at Indiana, it could happen anywhere.
No. I didn't any IU stuff in the Bahamas. I didn't see IU in London. I don't see IU in the Champions Classic.

I do see many, many UK fans at all of those. Obviously you are not one of them. Everywhere I go in the world I see UK apparel being worn. I never see IU apparel.

UK is the gold standard of college basketball. Always has been, always will be.

We have had some down times like the scandal that took Sutton down. The Tubby years were even worse. We always come back to the top.

We had a hiccup in recruiting for 3 years. That's been corrected. Even with 2 players we were a 2 seed a year ago.

The sky is not falling.

Secondly, if Chin and Antigua hadn’t come, we’d still be signing the Devin Askews and Jemarl Bakers of the world.
Good lord, what does Cal even do?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT