ADVERTISEMENT

Is it Hamdan's fault? Reviewing our 7 OFFENSIVE DRIVES vs. Vandy

fromthe25ydline

Junior
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2011
My conclusion: I blame the playcaller for our 4th drive and the series of plays on the goal line on our 5th drive. Other than that, I find it hard to criticize his playcalling. The issue against Vandy was execution and penalties. Dane Key single handedly killed two drives that we likely score on. Would those two drives have changed the outcome of the game?

We only had SEVEN chances to score Saturday. We were successful on TWO of them. We had the ball deep into Vandy territory THREE times and came away with ZERO points on those drives (Key penalty, Key fumble, and botched FG attempt). Is that on the playcaller?

The offense has been a problem. No doubt about it. Hamdan's unit is struggling. Which drives would you say are on Hamdan?

First offensive drive:
9 plays for 31 yards. PUNT. We drew a nice PI penalty on Wimsatt's pass attempt. We overcame a 1st and 20 thanks to a Mincey hold...only for Dane Key to shove the ball into a guy's face (unsportsmanlike on Key) and force us into a 3rd and 17. We punt.

Second offensive drive:
12 plays for 78 yards. TOUCHDOWN. We overcame a 1st and 15 after an illegal formation.

Third offensive drive:
7 plays for 30 yards. FUMBLE. We had great field position thanks to a Pavia interception. We overcame a 1st and 20 thanks to another Mincey hold. We turned the ball over on Vandy's 32 yard line after a Dane Key fumble.

Fourth offensive drive:
4 plays for 15 yards. PUNT. Vandy pinned us deep into our territory but a nice Wilcox run of 15 moved us out a little bit. Not a fan of Hamdan preceding to drop back and pass it three times in a row. A 39 yard punt gives the ball to Vandy on their 40 and they marched right down the field and scored right before the half in true Stoops fashion.

---We got the ball with 13 seconds before the half ended. I am not counting this drive as one of the 7.---

Fifth offensive drive:
12 plays for 51 yards. TURNOVER ON DOWNS (FUMBLE ON FG ATTEMPT). Barion's nice KO return after a Vandy field goal gave us a short field. I did not like the calls near the goal line. This was Hamdan's worst work all game:
- 1st and GOAL @ 6 QB DRAW
- 2nd and GOAL @ 1 FALSE START (WHY ARE WE RUNNING HURRY UP FOR THE FIRST TIME ALL GAME ON THE 1 YARD LINE)
- 2nd and GOAL @ 6 QB DRAW
- 3rd and GOAL @ 5 PASS SAILS OUT OF BOUNDS
- 4th and GOAL @ 5 FUMBLE

Sixth offensive drive:
6 plays for 75 yards. TOUCHDOWN. We got behind the sticks on a sack but were bailed out by a horse collar penalty on Vandy. Things were clicking on this drive. Plays of 14, 10, 14, and 22.

Seventh offensive drive:
6 plays for 21 yards. TURNOVER ON DOWNS. Mincey holds on 1st and 10 in Vandy territory. Vandagriff then gets sacked on 1st and 20. He throws an incompletion on 2nd down. On 3rd and 22, we pick up 12 yards but get called for holding on Cox. Turns 4th and 10 on Vandy's 48 into 3rd and 32 on our own 40. We pick up 11 to make it 4th and 21. Throw an incompletion. Game over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.