ADVERTISEMENT

Is Dominique a better fit than Alex in the starting line up?

Originally posted by qwesley:
or Liggins making Barnes want to cry.
cool.r191677.gif

SMH...

some of you are just crazy...

we had a great game against 7 - 8 team (now 7 - 9)...and all of sudden D.H. is better fit than Poythress.. WHATTT?

get that ish out of here.

BTW...if all our players shoot as well as they have been, i'm sure Poythress would have looked even better too. Let this play out before making a statement.

Missouri had 0 strategy or prep work about Hawkins...smh...let's not get carried away.

Let's see how he does 5 consecutive games, and see if he makes a difference.

BTW, i love hawkins, and should continue to play. Dude has huge potential like Poythress. (i'm basing this a lot on athleticism)

Originally posted by WildMoon:

Missouri had 0 strategy or prep work about Hawkins...smh...let's not get carried away.
Agreed. This is what I was talking about above.

When they adjust and backpedal on him, he'll have to figure out a way to keep helping the offense. Last year he became a different player when they baited him into taking those perimeter shots.

One thing Hawkins does is he has this odd knack for gashing zones off the dribble. He's able to take it from the left side of the court and get into the middle of the defense with ease.

I think yes. He allows the Harrison to not have to guard the point guard who's typically the quickest guy to try and play D on. And Hawkins is all about being in your face from the tip off. Blocked a shot even. He's athletically a 6'8 version of Poythress. Pogo stick legs, long arms, incredible strength and knows defense is where his bread is buttered, not offense though he's more capable on offense with passing and ball handling. If he had the experience Alex had it'd be no contest. I'm a huge hawkins fan and before he leaves he will have done things no one thought possible for him

Originally posted by wild mandu:
I totally missed the transition Poythress had in becoming a rebounder. But you guys are certain of it, so...
Averaging 5.1 for his career.

And rebounds like this...
poythress-rebound.gif

We lost that game, but with out that rebound we wouldn't have even made it as far as we did.

Down 4 late in the 2nd half of the NCAA tournament? Let's give the ball to Alex and let him go through somebody.

alex-poythress-dunks-over-wisconsin-player.gif

I'm not really sure what your case is, but I rest mine.

FWIW Nubb, both those plays were when he was playing PF. People are ignoring that part of the discussion.

No need to throw insults UK90. Are you that insecure?

Just a few days ago there were many people saying hawkins needed to transfer. Now hes a better "fit" (whatever) than POY. I think Hawkins is a great addition and POY is also a great addition. POY brings things to the table Hawkins cannot, however.

Chill out.

Hawkins is not the worst offensive player in the history of basketball. Most teams have a couple of players you do not have to guard real, real close. Most teams have a couple of scorers and the rest role players.

The way this game was reffed had more to do with the outcome than Hawkins play. Until we started conference play( with the exception of the UL game) the refs kept the game under control under the basket and we pretty much played like we did last night. With that said, IMO even though AP has more talent, he will play in The League, Hawk gives us something that Alex doesn't and that is a good defensive guard so I think I like this line up better.

FWIW Nubb, both those plays were when he was playing PF. People are ignoring that part of the discussion.
Both of those plays started where he was standing out on the perimeter

Indeed they are. Willie going down was one of the better things to happen to Alex Poythress, as twisted as that is. His best games were against UL, Wisconsin and in the Bahamas, all without WCS, and all where his biggest plays were made away from the perimeter.

Nubb, I've been championing Poythress to move to the 4 as much as anybody on this board. But let's be honest, he's wasn't/isn't as good as Julius Randle or KAT, and you can't take WCS off the floor, so he's forced to play SF, which just isn't his game. If KAT had went down with an ACL tear instead of Poy, he would be the PERFECT guy to step up. But losing him at the 3? It doesn't hurt as much because he never really was a 3.

And 5 rebounds a game is hardly dominate. His numbers actually dropped from last season, with more minutes per game. I recall many press conferences where Calipari mentioned Poythress needing to rebound better.

Crazy to see fans making a case against Poythress and all he brought to the table.

They probably have multiple usernames.

Poythress is definitely better. In a pickup game most people would pick Alex ahead of Hawkins. That said, I believe Hawkins and the platooning made a big difference last night. Sometimes the intangibles make a big difference.

If somehow Lyles comes back, I would love to see him and AP together. Two hybrid forwards you could do a lot with.

Originally posted by wild mandu:
Indeed they are. Willie going down was one of the better things to happen to Alex Poythress, as twisted as that is. His best games were against UL, Wisconsin and in the Bahamas, all without WCS, and all where his biggest plays were made away from the perimeter.

Nubb, I've been championing Poythress to move to the 4 as much as anybody on this board. But let's be honest, he's wasn't/isn't as good as Julius Randle or KAT, and you can't take WCS off the floor, so he's forced to play SF, which just isn't his game. If KAT had went down with an ACL tear instead of Poy, he would be the PERFECT guy to step up. But losing him at the 3? It doesn't hurt as much because he never really was a 3.

And 5 rebounds a game is hardly dominate. His numbers actually dropped from last season, with more minutes per game. I recall many press conferences where Calipari mentioned Poythress needing to rebound better.

No one said it was dominate, only that he was a better rebounder.

Do you all know why Alex was better at the 4? I don't care what position Alex is playing, he always hangs out in one of the corners, either to catch and shoot (not great at that), cut to the basket, or be ready to come flying in for an offensive rebound and put back. That's his game. When he plays the 3, that means there is usually two 7 footer's standing in the middle of the lane. Kind of clogs everything up. When he plays the 4 he still does the same exact thing, excepts now there is one less person standing in the middle and it gives him a better opportunity to do what he does best.

Originally posted by Nubb16:

Both of those plays started where he was standing out on the perimeter
Splitting hairs. That whole stretch against UL where he basically won the game was at PF where he was not thinking, only reacting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT