ADVERTISEMENT

Is Coach Cal Mentally/Emotionally OK?

His coaching system has always been extraordinarily simple …he doesnt zone, he doesn’t press, he doesn’t switch up defenses, has a simple iso-based offense that doesn’t use off ball screens, etc. Hell, the stuff Pitino was doing here seems like rocket science compared to Cal’s system.

But he somehow made that simplistic system work very well for him for a long time (with thanks to some unbelievable talent). But I guess it’s not surprising that it would catch up to him eventually. The game has changed, and he has made no effort to adapt and adjust to the changes.
He was great when he had players that were so much better than the competition, one and done did him in. You can’t win with AAU high school kids that are more interested in an NBA contract than school

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
He was great when he had players that were so much better than the competition, one and done did him in. You can’t win with AAU high school kids that are more interested in an NBA contract than school
Don't you think every division 1 player has NBA aspirations?

John Calipari is not a mean person. On the contrary, he’s a great humanitarian. No coach in America does more to help his fellow human beings in crisis need than Coach Cal. He has always stepped up to help when things are going badly for others. Thus, as I observe the posts on this board, including my own, which are permeated with such intense vitriol directed towards Coach Cal, I have to pause and reflect. I don‘t believe for one second he is intentionally coaching this team to ruin or that he enjoys making die hard Kentucky fans miserable. I don’t believe this at all. Yet, I’m surely puzzled by Cal’s reaction and his responses to his teams’ comparative poor play given their talent level during the last several years. It defies rational explanation.

Coach Cal is a smart man or at least he has been. Has this changed? Is there something else going on here? Is Cal ok mentally/emotionally? Coach Cal is ruining a coaching reputation he spent decades developing. He performed miracles at UMASS and raised Memphis from the dead. Cal instantly rescued UK from falling into the abyss of college basketball mediocrity following the last several years of Tubby Smith and the debacle that was Billy Gillispie. John Wall, Eric Bledsoe and DeMacus Cousins and all the super star recruits who have signed with UK since haven‘t come to UK because of its storied tradition, they have only come because John Calipari has been the coach.

Coach Cal had phenomenal early success during his first few years as the Kentucky coach with four Final Fours and a national title but then the inexplicable radical collapse. It makes no sense. How can someone as experienced and knowledgeable as Cal lose his ability to coach? Cal more than anyone should know more than anyone his coaching is failing. Yet, he’s not done anything different to stop his downward slide in the coaching profession. He is constantly being publicly humiliated by the nation’s press and of course his own fans who lash out at him continuously. This never ending barrage of criticism has to eat at the core of his being. He is watching his Hall of Fame coaching reputation daily degrade. Despite this, he makes no changes. Why? Is there more going on here than we can appreciate because we don’t know? How else to rationally explain the inexplicable.

I want Cal to succeed but there may be things going on within Coach Cal which are precluding him from regaining his success. I don’t know but I don’t believe he is intentionally ruining his team as well as a reputation he spent a lifetime creating.
He's old, fat, unmotivated and happy to keep getting paid for mediocrity. There is no fire in his belly or under his seat that matters to him now.
We all reach that stage in our lives if we live long enough.
It's just that most of us have the ability to recognize it and enough concern for how our incompetence is impacting others around us to make changes.
Cal's not someone who concerns himself with that kind of inner reflection.
He's fat and happy without a care in the world.

Once Kentucky basketball melded with Kentucky politics then everything went to hail in a handbasket and it will never be the same. You have the same radicalized individuals that refuse to objectively see the world as it is and instead insist on demanding everything be as they want it. Most importantly, when they don't get their way they become unhinged and seek to lash out like children throwing tantrums for exactly the same reason why children throw tantrums... they think that will get them their way.
Has nothing to do with it. If he were winning at a huge clip, going to final 4's and winning Championships no one would care

I honestly can't tell if you're being serious. If you are, cool. But it was an honest evaluation of what I see. He's the very definition of fat, lazy, and content.
From what I have seen of Coach Cal from being around his basketball camps, community endeavors, recruiting efforts, and in game involvement, he definitely is not fat, lazy or content. He is definitely aware of where he is and what's expected. Tired of reading all the personal attacks on Coach Cal. Only thing I can do is ignore the personal attacks.

John Calipari is not a mean person. On the contrary, he’s a great humanitarian. No coach in America does more to help his fellow human beings in crisis need than Coach Cal. He has always stepped up to help when things are going badly for others. Thus, as I observe the posts on this board, including my own, which are permeated with such intense vitriol directed towards Coach Cal, I have to pause and reflect. I don‘t believe for one second he is intentionally coaching this team to ruin or that he enjoys making die hard Kentucky fans miserable. I don’t believe this at all. Yet, I’m surely puzzled by Cal’s reaction and his responses to his teams’ comparative poor play given their talent level during the last several years. It defies rational explanation.

Coach Cal is a smart man or at least he has been. Has this changed? Is there something else going on here? Is Cal ok mentally/emotionally? Coach Cal is ruining a coaching reputation he spent decades developing. He performed miracles at UMASS and raised Memphis from the dead. Cal instantly rescued UK from falling into the abyss of college basketball mediocrity following the last several years of Tubby Smith and the debacle that was Billy Gillispie. John Wall, Eric Bledsoe and DeMacus Cousins and all the super star recruits who have signed with UK since haven‘t come to UK because of its storied tradition, they have only come because John Calipari has been the coach.

Coach Cal had phenomenal early success during his first few years as the Kentucky coach with four Final Fours and a national title but then the inexplicable radical collapse. It makes no sense. How can someone as experienced and knowledgeable as Cal lose his ability to coach? Cal more than anyone should know more than anyone his coaching is failing. Yet, he’s not done anything different to stop his downward slide in the coaching profession. He is constantly being publicly humiliated by the nation’s press and of course his own fans who lash out at him continuously. This never ending barrage of criticism has to eat at the core of his being. He is watching his Hall of Fame coaching reputation daily degrade. Despite this, he makes no changes. Why? Is there more going on here than we can appreciate because we don’t know? How else to rationally explain the inexplicable.

I want Cal to succeed but there may be things going on within Coach Cal which are precluding him from regaining his success. I don’t know but I don’t believe he is intentionally ruining his team as well as a reputation he spent a lifetime creating.
By design, OAD players are not here long enough to be "coached" to become a part of a team. That's why UK players, in the league, after 4 to 5 years start to hit their stride and perform within a designed "system", becoming the players we had hoped to see while here at UK. They're not here long enough, because the transition from HS to College takes longer than one year. Cal's primary purpose is to "showcase" them, for NBA scouts, one year at UK and move on to next year's class. Cal doesn't want to develop a team over 3 or 4 years, his system is not designed for that approach. Cal's purpose is to push them through and into the league, where they learn to play as teammates within a system, over a few years. Who wins in this scenario? Certainly not UK. Why does he do it? I'm sure we all have our own thoughts and whatever you believe, we could probably agree, his reasons are not in the best interests of the Program, Tradition, and the greater Glory of BBN, as he likes to say.

Calipari has said when he took the job it was probably a 10 yr max stay. This job specifically he said that about... and he was right. All Cal wanted was the opportunity to coach at a Blueblood with his me against the world mentality. He wanted it and he got the job. He wanted a ring. He wanted it and got it! He wanted to go 40-0 and almost done right in the middle of that HOF induction if I'm not mistaken. All that stuff led him to get inducted though and he got in the HOF. Back then he still had reason to be hungry as he was trying to hit all them bonuses on his contract and prove everyone that he belongs and that he as good a coach as anyone else. Then, too he only had a short time left on that contact that could still be affordable to buyout and he wasn't gonna sink so he swam. Did a pretty good job of it.

I think he is burned out at as well at this point. I think he resents this fan base now. He knew all along he didn't need to stay to long and he even called it several occasions this was 10 yr pressure cooker job and he was right but he stayed too long and got in THE very place that he didn't want to get in as some of the fans resent him and he resent the fans. His family doesn't seem to care for us either. He had everyone in his pocket at one time and he was all happy and it was fun and games and Calipari needs to be loved. He may act like he doesn't care but he hates it when he not he not getting that love.

His mouth backs him in alot of corner's. When you wanna coach at UK you can't come in here and say it's not about tradition anymore and when he first got here he was embracing it and talking a different game. So if your gonna screw up ya better be able to take that traditional backlashing he been getting. The fans are all about that tradition. John Vincent "The Lifetime Contract Contract Contradictory" Calipari is a man who made it to the top and once you get to the top they's only one way to go. Down! What goes up must come down.

Reactions: Kampus Korner
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT