ADVERTISEMENT

Is Cal the worst Game Manager in Power 5?

Probably the best. Won more games against higher seeded teams than any coach over the last 14 seasons. His NCAA record at UK in games decided by 5 points or less is 10-3.

The whine doesn't pair well with the cheese he moved.

I think his main issue as a coach is his team quite often allows the other team to play at their tempo. He needs to coach his team to force their will on other teams and play the game to his teams' tempo. When Pitino was here, he forced his style of play and tempo on just about every team he coached against. Tubby will get lulled into rock fights as does Cal's teams. Many times, it happens when his teams face smaller quicker point guards. UConn twice in the tournament, last year vs K-State, and last Saturday vs UNC-Wil. There have been other times. I like Cal. I think he is a great recruiter but as a coach he gets really stubborn and does not get out of his man-to-man defense when smaller quicker guards can beat his taller guards. And he then allows those smaller quicker guards to dictate tempo and style of play on his teams.

I think his main issue as a coach is his team quite often allows the other team to play at their tempo. He needs to coach his team to force their will on other teams and play the game to his teams' tempo. When Pitino was here, he forced his style of play and tempo on just about every team he coached against. Tubby will get lulled into rock fights as does Cal's teams. Many times, it happens when his teams face smaller quicker point guards. UConn twice in the tournament, last year vs K-State, and last Saturday vs UNC-Wil. There have been other times. I like Cal. I think he is a great recruiter but as a coach he gets really stubborn and does not get out of his man-to-man defense when smaller quicker guards can beat his taller guards. And he then allows those smaller quicker guards to dictate tempo and style of play on his teams.
Dont forget the Auburn loss in 2019 NCAA tournament. He let them spread the floor and whip our guards the whole game. Never adjusted one time. Would've been the perfect time for a zone, but he doesnt believe in a zone. He had rather lose than change.

No.

Such childish histrionics. Some one starting essentially the same thread every few minutes. Did you Bennie haters huddle up and decide to spam Rafters? Looks like it. Billboards are next
The only thing more tiresome than continued bashing Cow for his terrible coaching decisions is your blind devotion to defending him at all costs. Do you even know what you're defending anymore? Would you defend him if he were 2-6 instead of 6-2? At what point would admit that he's bad for the program? We bash him because he stubbornly continues to shout at the rain instead of making logical adjustments. Is that so wrong?

The only thing more tiresome than continued bashing Cow for his terrible coaching decisions is your blind devotion to defending him at all costs. Do you even know what you're defending anymore? Would you defend him if he were 2-6 instead of 6-2? At what point would admit that he's bad for the program? We bash him because he stubbornly continues to shout at the rain instead of making logical adjustments. Is that so wrong?
I’m supporting my team. That includes the coach they choose. Let me scream at you, 24 x 7, shouting the same freaking thing over and over and over and over an over. Is that so wrong?

Yih haters don’t like Cal. Doh. We get it. Nobody that matters gives a crap about any of you or your point of view. How many years till that sinks in?

Probably the best. Won more games against higher seeded teams than any coach over the last 14 seasons. His NCAA record at UK in games decided by 5 points or less is 10-3.

Now do his record against top 25 teams in the last, say, oh 5-7 years. Just make it 10 for the fun of it to increase the sample size. Being the best coach in the game the record should be in the .750 winning percentage or so.

Cal would finish in the teens as a in game manager imo. He will not change because of his commitment he made after coming here. He no longer coaches, he recruits for his legacy. That has been the hardest thing for me to take as a long time Kentucky fan. His legacy is to fight poverty and get every kid he can into the NBA. He will not play a zone because it is supposed to not happen in the league. He is all about the players and not the wins and losses imo. I just want him gone yesterday, just never cared much for a used car salesman as a coach.

I’m supporting my team. That includes the coach they choose. Let me scream at you, 24 x 7, shouting the same freaking thing over and over and over and over an over. Is that so wrong?

Yih haters don’t like Cal. Doh. We get it. Nobody that matters gives a crap about any of you or your point of view. How many years till that sinks in?
Change is not made until the voice of the fans gets loud enough. But you keep enjoying your sh@t sandwich. Pro-tip- the crust is a little better than tbe creamy center, but you seem to enjoy it.

Relatively dumb thread given you posted something like this right after a loss to a huge underdog at home.

What kind of answers do you expect? If your opinion is that he's a poor in game coach (for the record, I don't think he's a good in-game coach in stressful, crunch time situations), as you said in the opener of your thread, why ask the question? To get confirmation? You know you'll get 100 confirmations after a game like that.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Now do his record against top 25 teams in the last, say, oh 5-7 years. Just make it 10 for the fun of it to increase the sample size. Being the best coach in the game the record should be in the .750 winning percentage or so.
The win against Miami brought his record up to 27-35 against ranked teams since 2015 . So it’s on an uptick, lol.

When those of us who give money withold it, they care.

He's outcoached a few people.. But the list is dwindling.

I'd say Painter is up there in terms of bad game management, Schyer doesn't seem too impressive either.
Interesting - Painter is actually pretty good. Of course, couple bad upsets, but that's really not a good indicator - show me a coach without a couple bad upsets...

Pretty sure this thread isn't about whether he's the "best coach in the game"...

Relatively dumb thread given you posted something like this right after a loss to a huge underdog at home.

What kind of answers do you expect? If your opinion is that he's a poor in game coach (for the record, I don't think he's a good in-game coach in stressful, crunch time situations), as you said in the opener of your thread, why ask the question? To get confirmation? You know you'll get 100 confirmations after a game like that.
You could give examples of Cal succeeding in managing close games, but the haters will hate
You could give examples of Cal crapping the bed in close games, and Cal-haters already know it and Cal fans will refute it.

At the end of the day, it really comes down to making shots. Jay Wright isn't anywhere near as popular/revered as he is if Jenkins doesn't make the deep trailer 3. And Cal is probably more revered/regarded if Chalmers clanks the 3 for Kansas against Memphis.

Great coaches draw up great Xs and Os plays to win the game, and the shooter misses the shot - but often times it's put on the coach instead.
BAD coaches will draw up bad Xs and Os plays that do NOT work, but a player might throw in a desperation shot at the last second to win the game, and it changes everything.

At the end of the day, a "manager" puts the team in the position to win the game. Does Cal do that?

Panic pulse

What's his record against tournament teams when the game was within four points in the last 4 minutes of regulation? Since the Wisconsin collapse, which I will not count in these numbers:

Against Kansas State = loss
Against Providence = NA
Against St. Peter's = loss
Against Auburn = loss
Against Houston = win
Against Wofford = win
Against Abilene Christian = NA
Against Kansas State = loss
Against Buffalo - NA
Against Davidson = win
Against UCLA = NA
Against UNC = loss
Against Wichita State = win
Against Northern Kentucky = NA
Against Indiana = NA
Against Stony Brook = NA
--------------------------------

That's a 4-5 win/loss record since the Wisconsin loss in 2015, in games that were within 4 points with four minutes left. Some of the wins were against the likes of Wichita State (2019 version), mighty Davidson, and that perennial juggernaut Wofford.

That's a pretty crappy record for the guy you're trollishly trying to paint as "probably the best."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT