ADVERTISEMENT

Is age the disconnect between Cal supporters and Program defenders?

morgousky

All-American
Sep 5, 2009
I've noticed a common theme. Most people who continue to pump Calipari seem either young, or didn't start watching college basketball until Tubby's tenure.

If you could, express your support of Calipari, followed by the year you began watching UK basketball and age.

Maybe there's a disconnect worth exploring here?

I'm 35, first team I remember was 1992 Kentucky. I no longer support this version of Calipari at the University of Kentucky and believe we should begin to demand changes or force him out.

I’m 43. Can’t stand Cal really, his personality, coaching style, nothing about him really.

At the same time, I’d love to watch UK turn it around this year somehow. Only way that’s possible is if Clarke and Boston break out and turn into the players we were told they were.

48, watching since Sky Walker. No way do you demand anything out of Cal after one bad year. One, it's just not right. He has earned the right to attempt to correct course. Second, it would confirm the unrealistic expectations and the unreal pressure of the job among the coaching fraternity. It's hard enough to find a coach that wants to come KY considering the pressure, the lack of in-state talent and the fan base, regardless of money since lots of job pay obscene amounts these days.

48, watching since Sky Walker. No way do you demand anything out of Cal after one bad year. One, it's just not right. He has earned the right to attempt to correct course. Second, it would confirm the unrealistic expectations and the unreal pressure of the job among the coaching fraternity. It's hard enough to find a coach that wants to come KY considering the pressure, the lack of in-state talent and the fan base, regardless of money since lots of job pay obscene amounts these days.

It seems this post is a bit different than what I've seen you express lately. This is more in favor of Calipari, it seems to me over the last week it's been the opposite.

Started watching around 1990. I support Cal if he's willing to make staff changes, change his offense, and change his recruiting philosophy. Otherwise, it's all old and stale. I don't even care to watch UK basketball anymore. It's just not fun to watch or follow anymore.

I'm sick of hearing about the NBA. It was fine when we were winning big. Now we get to watch awful basketball every year, and hope we put it together by March. We are never building the program. We are in a constant state of rebuild new team, wash, rinse, repeat. None of these kids care about this school, which again, is fine if we are winning. If we are going to be this awful, at least be awful with kids that wanna be here.

My first memory of UK basketball was the Fabulous Five. I remember all of our National Championship teams. The college basketball product has been in decline for several years. Few teams play fundamental basketball today and I doubt Calipari would recruit the majority of players on those teams. Certainly not Jack Givens or James Lee. Not to mention Johnny Cox or Rick Robey. It is a different game with different goals.

I feel sorry for the younger crowd who don't know any better. I am not a Calipari fan becaise he does not put the program first. His motto is players program. The thing he is missing the players are the program when they rally around the concept of team. So team (UK) first, then let the rest happen but don't push the NBA first and draw $10 million in salary from UK. Maybe the NBA can pay a chunk of it since we are their farm system.

My first memory of UK basketball was the Fabulous Five. I remember all of our National Championship teams. The college basketball product has been in decline for several years. Few teams play fundamental basketball today and I doubt Calipari would recruit the majority of players on those teams. Certainly not Jack Givens or James Lee. Not to mention Johnny Cox or Rick Robey. It is a different game with different goals.

I feel sorry for the younger crowd who don't know any better. I am not a Calipari fan becaise he does not put the program first. His motto is players program. The thing he is missing the players are the program when they rally around the concept of team. So team (UK) first, then let the rest happen but don't push the NBA first and draw $10 million in salary from UK. Maybe the NBA can pay a chunk of it since we are their farm system.

lol I think you and my pops would never leave the table if ya'll started talking.

I’m 64 and have followed Cats since 1966. Calapari was the absolute perfect hire. There’s not much about his coaching that interests me outside of recruiting. He has been phenomenal until broad based paying of players ensued. I’d hate to see this relationship end because there was pure magic that happened here till 2015. Cheating has changed the game and like today’s America, very little punishment is handed out to cheaters and crooks. I don’t see how Cal will stay if the heat continues. His pride is wounded and the ends are unraveling.

lol I think you and my pops would never leave the table if ya'll started talking.
I have not had the pleasure of meeting him but I know we have a common bond. He would be considered family at my house. In spite of what the Matt Jones crowd may think there was basketball even before Pitino and it was damn good basketball.

A lot of those younger pumpers weren't around for the 90's when UK truly dominated college basketball. They count Cal's Elite Eights and Haiti donations and wonder why some of the older fans are complaining. I don't care that Rick Pitino is a scumbag in his personal life, he was paid to get UK to the top and he did just that, all the while playing a spectacular style of basketball, unlike Cal Ball which is as exciting as getting a root canal.

28, I grew up right in the heart of the final four drought from 1998 to 2011. I know what mediocre UK teams look and feel like. You could tell when the Tubby era was reaching its end. It feels like we are back in that territory. Cal refuses to evolve with the game, and he’s going to end up paying for it from a career standpoint. Evansville last year was inexcusable. 1-5 is inexcusable. Playing outdated basketball is inexcusable. Losing to Bruce Weber and Tom Crean in the tournament is inexcusable. The roster turnover and turmoil is inexcusable.

It seems this post is a bit different than what I've seen you express lately. This is more in favor of Calipari, it seems to me over the last week it's been the opposite.

This thread isn't going how you planned it to go, but don't worry, your internet buddies will be by soon to stick up for you/bash cal/bash any poster here that supports Cal. There's 100 other threads you could have replied to, but you felt the need to rally the "I hate Cal" troops.

35? LOL, I was in East Rutherford, visiting family and watching Mercer toss in 19 on a way to a Championship while you were still trying to get your parents to pony up for a Playstation.

The lack of in state talent is starting to turn into a myth. Players that currently start for West Virginia, NC State, Xavier, Iowa, and Auburn...are being very successful. I’m probably even forgetting someone but that’s besides the point. In the past those players would have been offered scholarships, Cal doesn’t do that and it’s terrible in my opinion.

Great post. But 35 years is the age where people think they know everything/demand satisfaction right this minute, so.......

Reactions: fbrent1972
I started watching Kentucky basketball in '75. For many years the college game evolved. Now it's regressed to the point that I firmly believe that the '78 National Championship team with run today's team off the floor.

For that matter, I'd bet that the '92 team would run today's Wildcat team so hard that they would need to be carried off the floor.

From my family members, friends, and co-workers , dozens of people I talk to , all different age groups. Seems like most everyone has had their fill of Cal ,his bullcrap talk , and his one&done , me included. BUT , most everyone thinks he deserves the right to fix it and change, me included . The majority think he cant or won’t change anything, me included .

Not at all. I've been frustrated with Cal for years. But I have to put it in perspective as well. The guy has won a ridiculous amount of games here, with a title and multiple final fours and the program was in shit shape when he got here. If we want to hire a great coach when he's gone then the program has to approach the situation rationally and cautiously. I've seen too many traditionally good programs, who pay top dollar, struggle to fill coaching vacancies to move on.

IMO he needs to change his recruiting strategy, hire an assistant who specializes in X's and O's and who can build an offense. But until he has a few bad years, I don't think screaming publicly about his faults is what's best for the program.

The lack of in state talent is starting to turn into a myth. Players that currently start for West Virginia, NC State, Xavier, Iowa, and Auburn...are being very successful. I’m probably even forgetting someone but that’s besides the point. In the past those players would have been offered scholarships, Cal doesn’t do that and it’s terrible in my opinion.

Yes, there are guys that can play roles, but those guys aren't players that you build a program or team around for the most part.

I'm 57. As a young kid I saw the end of the Rupp legacy. Joe B had an almost impossible job by following Rupp...he did alright. Then came Sutton, OK early on then disaster. THEN, Rick Pitino showed up and lit a fire under the UK fan base. Those were fun times...until his flirtation with the NBA.

Enter Tubby Smith. Title in the first year. Then some good years then he mailed it in the last few years before he bolted.

BCG...I'm not going to waste my time with that disaster.

Then along comes Calipari. He excites the fans and constructs a NCAA Championship team...life if good for BBN, then, after 2015...we have what we have now. A nearly 10 MILLION DOLLAR a year coach (thanks Barney) that talks down to the UK fans with his tweets and Instagrams and how many players he has in the NBA.

If he keeps this attitude up, he can PISS OFF! It's the UNIVERSITY of KENTUCKY! NOT the university of john calipari.

Last edited:
A lot of those younger pumpers weren't around for the 90's when UK truly dominated college basketball. They count Cal's Elite Eights and Haiti donations and wonder why some of the older fans are complaining. I don't care that Rick Pitino is a scumbag in his personal life, he was paid to get UK to the top and he did just that, all the while playing a spectacular style of basketball, unlike Cal Ball which is as exciting as getting a root canal.

I was at UK as a freshman during Mash's freshman year and the next 4 after. I would love to see teams that play a similar style, but I care about results more than anything else and it's hard to argue about his results up to this year.

Not at all. I've been frustrated with Cal for years. But I have to put it in perspective as well. The guy has won a ridiculous amount of games here, with a title and multiple final fours and the program was in shit shape when he got here. If we want to hire a great coach when he's gone then the program has to approach the situation rationally and cautiously. I've seen too many traditionally good programs, who pay top dollar, struggle to fill coaching vacancies to move on.

IMO he needs to change his recruiting strategy, hire an assistant who specializes in X's and O's and who can build an offense. But until he has a few bad years, I don't think screaming publicly about his faults is what's best for the program.

Ah, gotcha.

So you're in the "don't run him off yet" camp. Understandable. I think we're similar in ways, I'd love to see him turn it around, but I just think we're wasting out time. It might be best to give him another year, but man.

Reactions: kb22stang
I was at UK as a freshman during Mash's freshman year and the next 4 after. I would love to see teams that play a similar style, but I care about results more than anything else and it's hard to argue about his results up to this year.

It's been one heck of a run and its shameless and pathetic the crap some are giving him. No good coach will want this job if the loons of the fanbase get their wish and run him out of town.

This thread isn't going how you planned it to go, but don't worry, your internet buddies will be by soon to stick up for you/bash cal/bash any poster here that supports Cal. There's 100 other threads you could have replied to, but you felt the need to rally the "I hate Cal" troops.

35? LOL, I was in East Rutherford, visiting family and watching Mercer toss in 19 on a way to a Championship while you were still trying to get your parents to pony up for a Playstation.
Mercer scored 20 in that game actually.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

But my question is do you really see Cal making the changes you were talking about?Hiring old buddy Bruiser Flint really frustrated me because this was a chance to make a serious change.Cal seems so set in his ways that I'm afraid he's too stubborn to change.

He's literally told us he won't do it. The guy is not stupid, if he wanted to get a young talented assistant, he would have by now. What up and coming coach wouldn't want to work with HOF member John Calipari at University of Kentucky? That would look crazy good on anyone's resume, could land you a head coaching job at a Top 25 program right after.

But nah, Cal prefers his cronies and buttkissers like the has-been Bruiser Flint. It's like a good ol' boys country club

That’s what I think we’re lacking here. This program needs guys like them. Good role players that can provide leadership

As do I, it's one of the big changes I'd like to see him make. A little less star power, focus on the PG which his offense needs, and a big, and fill other slots with 3-4 year guys. And for f&*K sake recruit shooters and give them confidence instead of screaming at them all the time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT